Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Win 70 or R 700 .223 for a beginner “precision” rifle?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    To throw a wrench in things... my first AR was a 20" RRA Predator Pursuit. It is a tack driver and the rifles and complete uppers can often be found for cheap, particularly the older ones with slick FF tubes or other not-so-tactical features. They come with 1:8 air gauged 223 wylde barrels made by Wilson. Mine does pretty well 55gr ammo though it seems happiest with 62gr.

A gas gun probably will not be as accurate as a bolt rifle and may be a little pricier... but with a soft shooting round like .223, shooting a semi auto through a scope is pretty fun. No need to break your cheekweld/grip to throw the bolt so follow up shots are fast.

Otherwise I was considering a Howa 20" varmint 223 bolt gun once upon a time. They have a 1:9 twist barrel iirc. Worth looking into.

I’ve actually got a White Oak Armament competition upper on the way. It was a good deal so it should be here next week.

Found out the M70 I had my eye on has already sold. Any thoughts on Bergara?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Bergara has a good reputation. Their HMR Pro in 223 has a 1:8 twist.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Bergara is a Remington 700 without all the Remington. Fits most stocks, takes most triggers. Swapping barrels is kind've wonky--the last I checked, they don't take a Remage conversion, but Bergara will rebarrel your gun for something like $500 or $600 with a warranty and a test target.

I think my main objection to them is that they're the pumpkin spice latte of rifles--slap a Vortex PST II on one and you run the risk of not being able to pick your rifle off of the rack. But there's a reason they're so popular.

Site Supporter
    +1. I can’t add to much as I very much agree with the others. I’m a fan of the Bergera rifles.

I took the Tikka advice about a month ago and I couldn’t be happier. 8 twist. I watched gunbroke for about a week and hit the buy-it-now button. Just search for “Tikka .223”. Mine shoots EVERYTHING sub MOA. I mean everything. I literally found six rounds of mixed manufacturers laying in the brass bin at my range and loaded them up. My sis-n-law who has never shot a rifle before put 4 in a .8 in group. The other two didn’t light off.

Additional thoughts: maybe look into something you can sell easily when you are done if this isn’t a long term rifle. Also buy with ammo availability in mind. Will you be able to source .223? Or do you need to get something that handles 5.56 as well?

Also, at first I thought.223 diminutive after only being interested in .308 or 6.5 calibers. But, man, I’m having a blast shooting .223!

I am very pleased with both of my Bergaras. I wish they made a .223 in a B14 action. If they made a B14 HMR in .223 I would definitely have one. Maybe one day I will pony up for a Premier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    To throw a wrench in things... my first AR was a 20" RRA Predator Pursuit. It is a tack driver and the rifles and complete uppers can often be found for cheap, particularly the older ones with slick FF tubes or other not-so-tactical features. They come with 1:8 air gauged 223 wylde barrels made by Wilson. Mine does pretty well 55gr ammo though it seems happiest with 62gr.

A gas gun probably will not be as accurate as a bolt rifle and may be a little pricier... but with a soft shooting round like .223, shooting a semi auto through a scope is pretty fun. No need to break your cheekweld/grip to throw the bolt so follow up shots are fast.

Otherwise I was considering a Howa 20" varmint 223 bolt gun once upon a time. They have a 1:9 twist barrel iirc. Worth looking into.
    Not exactly the varmint rifle you mentioned, but close. That's a 1500 HB .223 with a B&C stock. It's a real nice shooter.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't know those two rifles so I'll stick to twist rates.

I think the 1/12 twist barrel has some disadvantages because the best accuracy will be with 45 grn bullets.
    Strange, until the advent of the 6mm PPC, the .222 with 52-53 gr bullets in 14 twist was a leader in benchrest.

My 14 twist .22-250 is accurate with up to the 60 gr Hornady SP but wild with the longer 60 gr HP.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Maybe out of sentiment, but I like controlled feed rifles...

pat

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Not exactly the varmint rifle you mentioned, but close. That's a 1500 HB .223 with a B&C stock. It's a real nice shooter.

Nice - is that a 20" barrel?

User Tag List