Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ford electric Mustang Mach E

Name aside, making a hybrid Mustang doesn’t likely get For what they want/need in terms of EPA, marketing, etc.
    That said, I’ve posted here before about my experience with a hybrid Volvo V90 in Norway and I’d definitely be down with adding some HP to a Mustang via an electric motor instead of a turbos/supercharger.

I think the much E debate has to come down to two different things,
    1) name angst
    2) the relative merits of the car itself

I’m entirely unconcerned with #1, but I’d love to discuss #2 a bit more. That in itself also seems to brea down into:
    1) aesthetic concerns, name aside
    2) actual performance/value/quality/etc.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That’s not a Mustang to my eyes.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/

Looks kinda retro to me, LOL

Name:  78MustangHatchback.jpeg
Views: 236
Size:  64.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The last program that I worked on at Ford was what became the 2002 Thunderbird convertible. The development code name was DEW-98, which translated to a D/E size ("D" example was Taurus, "E" example was Crown Vic), "W" meant to be sold in multiple markets, and 98 was the design variant. The development was plagued with changing requirements, including multiple decisions about whether the vehicle was going to be RWD or FWD. That was due to multiple vehicles using the platform, including ones from Jaguar, Lincoln, and the Thunderbird. That issue ended up causing a transmission design that could not be built at the designated transmission plant because the transmission was too wide to fit on the manufacturing line. That snafu ended more than a few careers.
    I really liked the exterior of that car, as much or more than most cars I’ve had a serious liking for. Very pretty metal work.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I’m entirely unconcerned with #1, but I’d love to discuss #2 a bit more. That in itself also seems to brea down into:
    1) aesthetic concerns, name aside
    2) actual performance/value/quality/etc.
    The GT starts at $60k with a 270 mile range, 114mph top speed (computer limited), and 0-60 in the low 5s. The GT performance is estimated to be around $70k, and is faster.

The BMW xDrive45e is $65k so in the middle. It's a PHEV so unlimited range and has a higher top speed. It does give up a few tenths to the GT, being slower at 0-60. However, I think it's a much better looking vehicle inside and out.

Both qualify for the same $7500 tax credit.

I know which I'd rather buy if I was dropping that sort of money on an electrified performance SUV. Especially if I wanted to road trip, and if not why am I buying an SUV instead of a performance coupe?

For pure performance, the Explorer ST is about the same price after considering tax breaks and is nearly as fast stock, likely faster with a simple tune.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post

Name:  78MustangHatchback.jpeg
Views: 236
Size:  64.4 KB
    When you stare long into the Mustang II, the Mustang II stares back into you:

Name:  9c64b690d32e06fa4c6ede8af423d177de2cad24.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  75.9 KB

:-P

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The C8 is interesting in that it did sell very well, but it also sold to people who were not previously Corvette buyers and at the expense of some of the more traditional buyers. I don't recall the exact figures, but the average age of buyers dropped significantly.
    The only guy I am acquainted with that got one is a little older than me and sold off a luscious C2 to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I mean there's a reason the Mustang went retro and revived the pony car market.
    And their retro execution was awesome, IMO.

The last program that I worked on at Ford was what became the 2002 Thunderbird convertible.
    I think that was a huge missed opportunity. IMO they coulda put a just slightly detuned Mustang drivetrain in that thing and hit a home run with all of the older guys that wanted a Mustang and didn't want to drive a Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    You..... bastard...

Target audience? They wouldn't have subliminally named it after a latté if they weren't targeting the avocado-toast set.

C'mon, man...a Mach E auto?

Tip the veal, and don't forget to try your servers...

[Ducks behind blues...]

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I really liked the exterior of that car, as much or more than most cars I’ve had a serious liking for. Very pretty metal work.
    With weak-sauce all-season semi-performance touring tires, a limited-slip diff, V-8 torque and an automatic, it was the burnout king.

I'd actually consider driving one if they had built them with manuals. Slap some big brakes, suspension, proper wheels and tires on it, and it would be a neat cruiser.

I did once meet a guy who said he owned 13 of them. (All the last body style, not spread across all eras.)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    The last program that I worked on at Ford was what became the 2002 Thunderbird convertible. The development code name was DEW-98, which translated to a D/E size ("D" example was Taurus, "E" example was Crown Vic), "W" meant to be sold in multiple markets, and 98 was the design variant. The development was plagued with changing requirements, including multiple decisions about whether the vehicle was going to be RWD or FWD. That was due to multiple vehicles using the platform, including ones from Jaguar, Lincoln, and the Thunderbird. That issue ended up causing a transmission design that could not be built at the designated transmission plant because the transmission was too wide to fit on the manufacturing line. That snafu ended more than a few careers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Name:  09924F51-8077-4034-90E8-1B58CE88B589.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  76.5 KBName:  BFF498B7-A76E-41FB-9759-449224BB5627.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  61.1 KB

Both of these happened to be outside my building today.

S&W been whiting out it’s classic names, M&P, Bodyguard, etc., might as well do cars next. (He says secretly hoping they don’t disgrace the Corvette name (am I still allowed to refer to myself as he?))

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    My dad had a 1971 and then later a 1974 Ford Torino. The '74 became mine years later. Unfortunately it didn't have the stripe like Starsky's Torino.
    If I win the lottery, I’m getting me a Starsky Torino.

User Tag List