Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Music Device RFI

Home Music Device RFI

I'm looking for options for listening to music at home. I want to be able to stream via Bluetooth or directly from the device. I use either Spotify, YouTube Music, or Amazon Prime. I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount of money but I want something that's going to sound good with a variety of musical styles. If I can expand at some point in the future by adding a record player that would be a bonus. But it's not a requirement. I just want to play some music in my apartment while I study, read, and cook.

I really don't even know what I'm asking for here. My previous streaming device was to just connect to my TV via an Apple TV. I'm currently living without a TV and kind of enjoying the break.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

For serious listening I have floor standing speakers in my "entertainment room" such as it is.

But for casual listening, I have a few Amazon Echo speakers around the house. You can use them singly or create a "group" wherein the content is sent to multiple speakers of your choosing.

If you are part of the Amazon ecosystem, (Prime etc), it may make sense for you. The sound is not bad and setup is a snap.

I use them with Spotify daily...as it is my preferred music provider. Prime music is also built in once you set up since you have Prime. I've not attempted to stream youtube.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    If it's going to be for one room you can get a receiver(and speakers) that you can stream from your phone to, or wireless powered speakers that do the same. For portability a Bluetooth speaker works.

Wireless powered speakers are probably your best value. KEF and audio engine are brands that come to mind but there are plenty of others.

Sonus Move can function via the Sonus system or as a bluetooth speaker. The sound is VERY good and it is portable and weather resistant. Highly recommend. At $399 it is not the least expensive option, however.

JBL makes very good bluetooth speakers, as well, in a variety of sizes and prices.

We bought a Sonos Playbar for the TV. Very happy with it. We then upgraded and added a Sonos Sub, and a couple Play:1 speakers for rear L and R. Also very happy with that. The sound is pretty good for the price; it's not studio reference quality but not bad for home use.

Sonos let's you "add" music streaming services to your system via the app. I use Pandora. You can use the App on any mobile device (or several) very easily to switch to a service (I believe all the ones you mentioned are supported.) It's very seamless. All the Sonos equipment sits on the low rate side of my WiFi network, so aside from needing 110V AC, there are no speaker wires. If you unplug a speaker to move it, say, it rejoins the network automatically when reconnected. I don't believe the Sonos playbar let's you connect via BT, which initially I wasn't happy about. But since I've gone completely internet-based for all my media (music, movies and such) it's no longer a problem.

I like the fact that you can adjust volume up/down at any speaker in the ecosystem, you just hit the volume knob on any speaker and the whole set goes up/down. Plus you can also turn the volume up/down from the app. I've even heard if your wife is playing the TV too loudly, you can actually turn the volume down a bit from another room, remotely. Heard that from a friend.

Sonos didn't use to have a concept of a "room", in which if you had several speakers, you could parse them into "rooms" and separately direct music streams. I haven't checked for this feature lately, but they are always making upgrades to the app.

We are very likely to get another couple Sonos speakers for our new place, and put them in the e.g. pool and additional bedroom area to provide whole-house music. I like this system a lot.

What's unreasonable? Depending on the layout of your space, you may want to consider starting a home audio system. An A/V receiver+amp, along with a couple bookshelf speakers, might be more money than some other options, but will be infinitely more upgradeable and connectible.

Alternatively, you might think about deciding where you want quality sound, and where you just want some noise. For instance, I'm holding off on upgrading my TV sound (it'll probably be just a very nice receiver/amp and a 3.1 setup) until after a new vehicle purchase, because my TV doesn't sound bad. But on the computer, where I want really nice sound because I'm either gaming or listening to Spotify, I have a Fiio K3 DAC and a pair of Philips Fidelios.

Site Supporter
    What is your budget? While great sound is still quite expensive, very good sound has never been cheaper.

Like Wise A said, my default starting point for sound if you are think about upgrading/expanding at all is an 5.1 a/v receiver, bare minimum. Depending on budget, they have all manor of innate Bluetooth/Streaming capabilities. Even really simple 2 channel receivers that folks are buying to drive a turntable have some bluetooth capability more often than not.

Alternatively, for not a lot more money (perhaps even less) than a decent sound bar or higher end free standing bluetooth speaker, you could have a very modest receiver with 2 bookshelf speakers and an Aux cord hooked up to your smartphone/tablet and have FAR better sound, particularly, well modulated bass and non "screechy" highs.

Best Budget Soundbar as per wirecutter is 250.00
    https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...best-soundbar/

Basic 2 channel 90 watts receiver with Bluetooth capability -150
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STD....html?tp=47041

Basic Polk Audio Speakers 66Hrz to 20K+ -100watts at 80.00
    https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T1...s%2C192&sr=1-4
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

How about two Apple iHome(s) as a stereo pair? Should work just like your AppleTV setup did.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    How about two Apple iHome(s) as a stereo pair? Should work just like your AppleTV setup did.
    I looked at that option first but seems pricey. VCD and WiseA have pretty good points. I was thinking Bluetooth but a system might be a better option. Also like the Sonos idea.

Now I have some research to do.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Easiest way to good sound is a 2 channel integrated amp, two good bookshelf speakers and Apple TV. Any more of a detailed answer requires us to get more info from you but you can start with names like Onkyo, Denon, NAD for the receiver and your budget determines the speaker recommendations.

It really depends on how into high fidelity audio you are going to get. On one end of the spectrum a nice Bluetooth speaker is good and the other end has you sitting in a dedicated listening position with $10K worth of sources, DACs, amps, and high end tower speakers.

For quick research and recommendations , type “ audiophiliac budget system” into YouTube and watch some of Steve Guttenberg’s videos. He writes and reviews for CNet.

User Tag List