Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vision - being old sucks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Red Dot or laser for my carry guns.

For iron sight target shooting I've been using these, they work pretty well.
    I can see both the front sight and the target with these on.
    Interesting. I need to try those.

I am trying multi-focal contact lenses which worked for a few weeks but now I need my reading glasses again. I have to call the eye doctor and let them know. The way he explained it was the left eye was at +2.50 power reader and the right eye was +1.25 reader. While it lasted it was great. I'm wondering if the power of each lease will have to be increased? I don't know. Where can I get some eyeballs from a 20 year old installed in my skull?
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    There is a company called SSP IIRC, that makes bifocals with the reading prescription on the top of the lens.

Ive made it so far without glasses, but can sure tell the difference in vision. The eye doc told me when I was in my 20s I had 40-20 vision, I could see at 40 feet what is normal to see at 20 feet, and had no problem up close either.

The Lyman sticker doo-dads mentioned above that stick on the glasses is the same concept as the Merit device, an adjustable iris type thing that sticks on glasses, it adjusts to give super sharp vision for sights and target, just like I had when younger. They work.

A guy I knew that did some fancy pistol shooting in the past, like shooting things people held in their hands or mouth, wouldnt drink coffee or caffeine 3 days before a shoot. I tried it, it does seem to make a difference in my vision, as does staring at a computer, TV or book. Spending all day outside or busy on various activities not to include the above subjects, my vision is much better all around.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Yep, I am 72 and I got lucky 5-6 years ago. I already had a pair of 'computer' glasses made up where the entire lens on both sides was focused at desktop screen distance. Took them to the range one time just to try out. Turns out my screen distance is the same as my front sight distance. Yeehaw. Wife's work changed health insurance companies so the new glasses 'every other year' policy was reset. So I got a new pair w/ slightly oversized frames, my usual trifocal prescription in my non-dominant eye side and 'front sight focus' prescription in the entire lens of my dominant eye. Both lenses automatically darken in sunlight. Each range visit I put them on and things are just a little weird for maybe 3-4 minutes and then I don't notice it afterwards. My Dawson FO front sight is in perfect focus and the targets are so slightly out of focus I don't even notice it.
    I constantly shove my progressive bifocals up for reading and close up vision tasks... I’ve been tempted to get a set of glasses specifically tailored for computer use since I’ve recently transitioned into a desk job where a large part of my day is spent in front of multiple computer monitors... I think your post just pushed me more in that direction.

Red Dot or laser for my carry guns.

For iron sight target shooting I've been using these, they work pretty well.
    I can see both the front sight and the target with these on.
    I did an experiment after seeing the Merit things years ago. I just got a piece of black tape and put a 1/16 hole in it. I wet it down so the normal glue wouldn't work and put it on the lens just using the water as an adhesive. I always had to move it around to get it aligned but it worked very well. I ended up bending up a piece of black kydex so I had a stamp sized piece w/ the 1/16 hole and another 3/8 inch bent over so it clipped onto the top of my lenses. That also worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    I constantly shove my progressive bifocals up for reading and close up vision tasks... I’ve been tempted to get a set of glasses specifically tailored for computer use since I’ve recently transitioned into a desk job where a large part of my day is spent in front of multiple computer monitors... I think your post just pushed me more in that direction.
    A lot of this depends on what your eye shortcomings are. Mine are astigmatism and not too bad. I can see well enough w/o glasses to be able to recognize people, and drive a car no problem. Just can't read the road signs until pretty close. My computer glasses are actually about 8 yrs and 2 prescriptions old but the entire lens is focused on the screen distance so there is no moving my head around to get to the correct spot on the lens. At the time I told the doc what I wanted to do when I was getting new regular glasses tri-focal, auto darkening etc. I said point me at the cheap frames section. So cheap frames, lenses just one prescription, no auto darkening, I think they cut me a bit of a break since I was essentially buying two glasses at the same time, they were maybe $100-125.

For my PCC I'm going to get bi-focals, distance on top and 24" focus on the bottom (works for computer and driving). For iron sight pistol I use a 1.5 diopter "add" on the right eye and distance on the left. Sight for Sport Eyes will do lenses for the Rudy Project prescription inserts; this time around I'm going to have them AR (anti-reflective) coated. It's kind of the cost of doing business I guess.

Red Dot or laser for my carry guns. ...
    I agree. We have Crimson Trace lasers on every gun that might be used defensively. I won't buy anything they don't have a laser for. most of mine are red lasers because they are less expensive and work just fine at night or inside the house even in full daylight. Green is more visible in brighter surroundings but it is usually a lot more $. The two weekends after we lost daylight savings time last year I shot 2 outdoor night idpa matches. I used a Crimson Trace light and laser unit.
    https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...0.html#start=1
    It is just 100 lumens but I can't express adequately how well it worked in stages up to about 40 ft. The fact that we were out in the woods in complete darkness made absolutely no difference to my shooting ability. Because of that I bought two TDI Arms clamp on rails and two small lights for our under the bed in a lock box Beretta 92s. They already had laser grips so now they have lasers and lights.

User Tag List