Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR15 Buttstock Durability Discussion

Back at the end of Operation Strong Resolve 98, I was receiving a M16A2 back into my armory. It was presented in the normal fashion - buttstock first. However, it truly came buttstock first followed by the rest of the rifle and buffer & spring.

I never was given the absolute method in which a receiver extension snapped with ZERO visual indicators of force to the buttstock or receiver, but it was Norway and it was rather chilly in March.

Now, that is by no means a scientific example that the receiver extension is the weak point of the design nor that the USGI A2 buttstock is "strong", but rather that shit can happen so don't get too stuck in the weeds.

On the flip side, several years ago we had a haunt in my shop that seemed a bit off, he cemented that perception when he went about asking all of us, at different times, if we thought a Magpul MOE or B5 SOPMOD would hold up better when buttstroking someone. Don't be that guy.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Fixed stocks don’t add any utility and going out your way to find one just doesn’t make sense anymore.

I’m just a low speed civilian doing civilian things, but in 2020 I shot in weather from the 20s to 103. Just the difference in clothing and a click or two in or out makes a good difference.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Fixed stocks don’t add any utility and going out your way to find one just doesn’t make sense anymore.
    I revisited this consideration recently when I weighed buying a magpul UBR for my 16" SPR flavored gun. I do like the fixed rifle stock on my 20" varmint gun. That said, every time I have pulled the trigger on this rifle the bipod has been deployed and I have been either sitting or proned out, so I haven't missed the flexible LOP. I also appreciate the resulting consistency of cheek weld when getting behind the 3-15 scope it wears.

However, for any gun I would be shooting offhand or in otherwise vaguely unconventional or difficult positions, I agree the collapsible stock is otherwise a superior choice. That's what I bought for the 16" SPR vs. a UBR or fixed option.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-15-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Ive used the fixed A1 and A2 stocks mostly and prefer them for several reasons. When shooting a carbine with both a standard carbine like Colts usually have from the factory and the I think magpul with the triangle look and clamping widget that stiffens up the joint, I couldnt reliably see and spot my hits at 600 yards on 7x through the scope. I could flex the stock joint intentionally and see how much image deflection there was and it was very obvious. Put the same scope on the rifle and fixed stock and its like shooting a 22, no problem seeing hits.

The most action mine see are running rabbits, and they do very well at that, even in winter clothes, so no complaints from me.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List