Thread: Questions about Remington 870 rifle sight base, tight barrel fit

Questions about Remington 870 rifle sight base, tight barrel fit

Question 1: The rifle style rear sights made by XS and Trijicon for the 870 use a 2 groove sliding base, but my old brushmaster has a dovetail slider. Does anyone currently either make the 2 groove base or sights that will fit my dovetail?

Question 2: My barrel takes a surprising amount of effort to remove, but it seems like most 870 barrels just slide off with no effort. My barrel ring seems to sits at an angle to the mag tube (I loosened the mag tube cap in photo 2 to show the angle) Should I be concerned? When disassembling I make sure the bolt is retracted and the magazine cap are removed, so I highly doubt it's user error.

Pics attached below. Thanks!

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by queenofcalifornia View Post
    Question 1: The rifle style rear sights made by XS and Trijicon for the 870 use a 2 groove sliding base, but my old brushmaster has a dovetail slider. Does anyone currently either make the 2 groove base or sights that will fit my dovetail?

Question 2: My barrel takes a surprising amount of effort to remove, but it seems like most 870 barrels just slide off with no effort. My barrel ring seems to sits at an angle to the mag tube (I loosened the mag tube cap in photo 2 to show the angle) Should I be concerned? When disassembling I make sure the bolt is retracted and the magazine cap are removed, so I highly doubt it's user error.

Pics attached below. Thanks!

I believe the XS rear sights will actually work on your barrel, as what they offer for the rear sights is just the "blade" portion of the rear sight assembly... which moves laterally for windage in the top dovetail of the piece that slides longitudinally up/down the dovetail of the brazed-on sight base for elevation adjustment. Remove the screw that secures the windage adjustment and the blade(s) just slide in or out.

As for the barrel ring, the picture does make it look like it may have been somehow pounded on hard enough to be bent towards the front of the barrel, but that would require one hell of a blow... one that might actually have distorted the barrel rather than bending the ring itself. I would take it to a gunsmith who knows 870s and get a pro's opinion.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Checking my 870, there is enough slack in the threads to get similar misalignment when detent ball is pushing against the cap. Does it seat flush when screwed down tight?

The detent ball should be depressed and the magazine tube end cap should be flush when tight.

I'd suggest taking a look at two things -

1) the barrel - off the shotgun take a close overall look for straightness, then check the barrel locating ring to see if it looks out of alignment, the ring is silver soldered/brazed to the barrel, so check for cracks with a bright light and magnifier if you have one. With the barrel clean take a look from chamber end with the muzzle aimed at a light - as you slowly move the muzzle in small circles you might be able to pick up some indication if the barrel is bent.

2) The very few police shotguns I've seen with bent barrels were bent beyond the barrel locator ring, so in my thinking, if something is bent out of alignment, it would more likely be the magazine tube. Remove the shotgun's barrel and cycle the action paying attention to the feel of the action bars going back and forth. Does there seem to be any drag from the forearm area? Do the action bars look like they are binding/rubbing abnormally where they enter the receiver?

Completely fiels strip the shotgun and take a close look at the mag tub to see if it looks aligned. Check where the mag tube enters the receiver, the mag tube is silver soldered/brazed into the receiver, so check for cracks.

If anything is bent, the pattern should be off, and the slug sights should require unusual adjustment to zero slugs.

That's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    Checking my 870, there is enough slack in the threads to get similar misalignment when detent ball is pushing against the cap. Does it seat flush when screwed down tight?
    It looks reasonably flush, I think?

https://imgur.com/a/Fm11CSc

User Tag List