Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P320 RX X Carry With Romeo 1 Issues

P320 RX X Carry With Romeo 1 Issues

Crap. I competed with my P320 at an IDPA match on Saturday, and I realized early on the RDS had some malfunctioning issues; at start and on the first shot it was fine, but then at the second shot it went out, but then would come on again-this pattern continued through the match. Good thing I had the OEM suppressor height tritium BUIS as OEM with the gun, and theat they were visible and zeroed through the RDS screen, so the gun was viablde and the match wasn't a disaster.

Battery was newer (replaced last August after the original died), dot strength seemed both adjustable and fine, both before and throughout the match. Battery compartment lid is appropriately tight. SIG's gonna get a call tomorrow-any thoughts or suggestions?

Best, Jon

First Gen Romeo 1 optics have a poor reliability record.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Crap. I competed with my P320 at an IDPA match on Saturday, and I realized early on the RDS had some malfunctioning issues; at start and on the first shot it was fine, but then at the second shot it went out, but then would come on again-this pattern continued through the match. Good thing I had the OEM suppressor height tritium BUIS as OEM with the gun, and theat they were visible and zeroed through the RDS screen, so the gun was viablde and the match wasn't a disaster.

Battery was newer (replaced last August after the original died), dot strength seemed both adjustable and fine, both before and throughout the match. Battery compartment lid is appropriately tight. SIG's gonna get a call tomorrow-any thoughts or suggestions?

Best, Jon
    Open the battery cover and use a jeweler’s screwdriver to bend the battery contacts up a little to get more solid contact with the battery.

A number of optics can have that issue with battery contacts. First Gen RMRs were famous for that.
    I helped a local GM PCC fix his Vortex the night before he left for a major that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Open the battery cover and use a jeweler’s screwdriver to bend the battery contacts up a little to get more solid contact with the battery.

A number of optics can have that issue with battery contacts. First Gen RMRs were famous for that.
    I helped a local GM PCC fix his Vortex the night before he left for a major that way.
    Appreciate the responses and advice. GJM, mine is actually a 2nd Generation Romeo 1.

JCN, Your suggestion is probably spot on, but I talked with SIG Electro-Optical CS, and they've sent me a RMA and shipping label, so I'm going to have them take a look at it.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Best, Jon

Appreciate the responses and advice. GJM, mine is actually a 2nd Generation Romeo 1.

JCN, Your suggestion is probably spot on, but I talked with SIG Electro-Optical CS, and they've sent me a RMA and shipping label, so I'm going to have them take a look at it.

Best, Jon
    Sig has great customer service. If there’s no time pressure to have it replaced and returned, that’s the best way to go.

Sig has one of my Romeo3Max and ironically one of my Romeo 1s right now for replacement.

They have replaced 3 other of my Romeo3Max. Or is it 4. I’ve lost track. They break so frequently that I have three on rotation so I can have one out for replacement without having any guns out of commission.

Best, Jon
    I personally don’t think any original Romeo1 is suitable for serious use.

It’s actually hard to know what generation Romeo1 (not R1 Pro) one might have- there are at least six revisions to that optic, with two different lens hoods, and after the hood revision, there’s no clear way to tell what revision one might have.

The 6 MOA units released in late 2018 are probably among the more reliable iterations. I’ve run them hard in matches (on X-Fives) and they have been fine, with the SIG steel shroud accessory.

I have a total of seven R1’s- the 6 MOA’s have been durable, but only have two useful settings- too dim for the first two settings for most uses, and then everything else too bright for anything but outdoor use.

Everything else is 3 MOA- two units that used to sit on X-Carries, which killed batteries within a few weeks even when shut off (button press, not MOTAC) and sitting still in the safe. Two others were OK for a year of just sitting but didn’t get any real use- those at least didn’t kill the batteries.

One more is a full on first generation unit, that came with a P226 RX pistol, and that I used on a blue gun for dot practice. It’s designed with a hood shape that exposes the lens to frontal impacts- the original lens hood design. I’ll probably throw it onto a .22LR carbine with a spare SIG steel hood shield I have in the box of parts.

My Romeo 1 is back to Sig because of the parasite battery drain issue.

@JonInWA got a shipping label from Sig today.

Looks like I’ll get to test a Version 5.0...

Name:  055623F3-FB0F-4987-854F-442D216AD057.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  35.9 KB

Sig Optics takes care of my wife very well, and they are sending her a replacement Romeo 3 Max today.

I have a buddy that sells optics online and he said the Romeo 1 has had a hellacious return rate compared to everything else he sells. As I recall, holding zero was the big issue. Good friend of mine had multiple units fail this way.

My wife has a few Romeo 1 Pro optics, and they seem much improved, and much more durable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @JonInWA got a shipping label from Sig today.

Looks like I’ll get to test a Version 5.0...

Name:  055623F3-FB0F-4987-854F-442D216AD057.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  35.9 KB
    Dollars to donuts, that will arrive in a plastic bag... ask me how I know.

User Tag List