Thread: 617 Ready For Steel Challenge

617 Ready For Steel Challenge

I decided to take my C-More off my 617 and shoot it for the next few weeks in RFPI (Rimfire Pistol Iron) category for Steel Challenge.

Today I fired 300 rounds of Federal BYOB and Remington Golden bullets and only had 2 Failure To Fires so I'm pretty happy. I have a new mainspring on order and that will take care of the FTFs.

I shoot better with my revolvers that I do with my Autos so I'm hoping to get into a higher class. This is a small, only 5 stage match, but if I do well I'll shoot the full SC Match next weekend.

Site Supporter
    Keep us posted on how it goes

I plan on running my 617 in sc this year too. I'll be running it in rimfire optic. Other than a viper and a set of nills it's stock. I had planned on apexing it but hadn't gotten to it yet.

What are you loading with during the match? I've got a ds10 and a loading block but i may get 4 more just to not have to mess around with the same loader each time. Do you run a dump pouch of some kind for empties/unfired rounds? That seems like an easy option but I'm not sure what's common place.

Name:  20210127_094208.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  87.9 KB

[QUOTE=backtrail540;1196189]I plan on running my 617 in sc this year too. I'll be running it in rimfire optic. Other than a viper and a set of nills it's stock. I had planned on apexing it but hadn't gotten to it yet.

What are you loading with during the match? I've got a ds10 and a loading block but i may get 4 more just to not have to mess around with the same loader each time. Do you run a dump pouch of some kind for empties/unfired rounds? That seems like an easy option but I'm not sure what's common place. ]

I've been lucky enough over the years to pick up some DS-10s from the awards after matches. I've also had friends that won the loaders give them to me. I now have 15 and load all of them before the match. I then load from loading blocks for the rests of the day.

There is a new design of the DS-10 that is really nice and a bit faster to load with.

I like to go to the line with 6 loaders just incase something goes wrong and I need a fast reload.

Well, today was the Steel Challenge Match. We only shot 5 stages do to range configuration but it was fun.

I started out pretty slow, it was very cold, but ended up shooting my best scores on Pendulum and Smoke & Hope. I felt more comfortable with the revolver.

I had a few light strikes so when I got home I added a new Cylinder And Slide Extended Firing Pin and Spring along with a new Mainspring. I also replaced my 11 pound rebound spring with a 12 because I was outrunning the trigger a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I plan on running my 617 in sc this year too. I'll be running it in rimfire optic. Other than a viper and a set of nills it's stock. I had planned on apexing it but hadn't gotten to it yet.

What are you loading with during the match? I've got a ds10 and a loading block but i may get 4 more just to not have to mess around with the same loader each time. Do you run a dump pouch of some kind for empties/unfired rounds? That seems like an easy option but I'm not sure what's common place.

Name:  20210127_094208.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  87.9 KB

Here's my new rig. I'm using a dump pouch and speed loader holder from RevolverSupplyCo.com, give them a peak and you will find a lot of good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post

Here's my new rig. I'm using a dump pouch and speed loader holder from RevolverSupplyCo.com, give them a peak and you will find a lot of good stuff.
    I have their page bookmarked for speedloaders but for whatever reason didn't even think about a dump pouch from them. Thanks!!!

Edit - what is your pouch mounted on?

Double edit - Also, when you go to the line, do you just fill the blocks and take a single ds10? or have a ds10 loaded in each block and then dump the ds10 in the pouch after reloading?
    Last edited by backtrail540; 03-20-2021 at 08:13 AM.

[ Also, when you go to the line, do you just fill the blocks and take a single ds10? or have a ds10 loaded in each block and then dump the ds10 in the pouch after reloading?[/QUOTE]
    I go to the line with six DS-10s loaded and ready. I have the others in my shooting bag along with 240 rounds in blocks for when I need to recharge them. RSC also sells some great loading block boxes to keep your rounds safe.

User Tag List