Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm sure this is old hat for you guys....

I saw a post today where a guy made his own black powder and recharged primer cups with toy gun ring caps.

I think "reloading" primers is kind of a stunt or a Depression era hobby.
    If I run out of reloading supplies, I will just leave my defense weapons loaded with my remaining factory loads and shoot the BB gun.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I saw a post today where a guy made his own black powder and recharged primer cups with toy gun ring caps.

I think "reloading" primers is kind of a stunt or a Depression era hobby.
    If I run out of reloading supplies, I will just leave my defense weapons loaded with my remaining factory loads and shoot the BB gun.
    Or take up archery.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have seen that and it seems tedious. I think if I ever got to the point of needing to reload my primers I would just switch weapons, Something more medieval perhaps. I may try it one day for a thought experiment but nothing more.
    Flintlock?

Though not the safest of hobbies, black powder can be brewed at home.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Flintlock?

Though not the safest of hobbies, black powder can be brewed at home.

Trebuchet and crossbow for projectile weapons, hand and a half long sword and mace for ECQB.

Im glad I have a good supply of axes and swords

I've reloaded primers in the past. The directions are in the old military manual "Improvised Munitions Handbook". I posted my results on "Cast Boolits" three or four primer famines ago, and some of the guys picked up the ball and ran with it. This was back in the days of the old red "strike anywhere" high phosphorous matches. The current "green" matches are far less suited for the task. My success rate for ignition was in the high 90 percentile. Shortly after that, primers became available again, and I started stockpiling them and never tried reloading primers again. I was interested in the skill set for it and haven't had to attempt it since. Believe me, it's a nerve racking experience packing the priming compound in the cup by hand.

I don't see myself trying it again.

User Tag List