Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm sure this is old hat for you guys....

I'm sure this is old hat for you guys....

I still thought it was pretty cool.

I have seen that and it seems tedious. I think if I ever got to the point of needing to reload my primers I would just switch weapons, Something more medieval perhaps. I may try it one day for a thought experiment but nothing more.

If you get this far down the rabbit hole - there are better ways of doing this. And importantly it's a lot easier to make percussion caps or berdan primers and then source berdan primer brass, than try to reload boxer type primers. Pro-tip most of the Soviet mil-surp stuff is berdan. The berdan primer system seems a bit more reliable in the cold.

Also, a lot of these reloaded primers fail. Like double-digit percentages. Assembling them into complete ammo may mean you end up disassembling a lot of ammo. Versus a dead percussion cap being pulled off and discarded.

Sometimes the old ways have advantages.

I saw a link to a company that sells a three component priming kit to reload boxer primers. I watched the video and promptly decided I didn’t want to singe my beard playing with an explosive filled mortar and pestle.

If things get that dire I’ll build a flintlock.

I didn't know you could reload primers. Interesting video. I'm not interested in actually doing it, not even to satisfy my curiosity. I stocked up on primers when they were < $30/1000 many years ago and I still have a 2-3 year supply. I learned my lesson back in 08 during that powder/primer drought.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-10-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I think its interesting to know, but my take-away from the idea is to not blast off the supply of primers in whatever one wishes to call non-critical shooting. Flintlocks are interesting in their own right, but I think id rather go without "practice", "training" or whatever and have ammo rather than resort to flintlocks or whatever else.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Primers will be available as soon as production catches up with demand. We're only about a year into a shortage and 2 years is a long time for a shortage of anything these days. This will be the last year of the primer shortage. I'll guarantee it. People like those overtime checks. I always did.

I guess I'll never understand a re-loader running out of primers and powder unless they're just new to the hobby.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-10-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I experienced The Great Primer Famine of the 90s. Its one thing thats tough to effectively replace, so if one buys enough and doesnt run the supply down, its not as much of a concern. Keep a basic level of comfort, if you get near it, stop or slow down and dont go below your comfort level. Same with rimfire ammo.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

There was an early 80's Gun Digest that had plans for using an RC aircraft glow plug as the igniter for a muzzleloader.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Primers will be available as soon as production catches up with demand. We're only about a year into a shortage and 2 years is a long time for a shortage of anything these days. This will be the last year of the primer shortage. I'll guarantee it. People like those overtime checks. I always did.

I guess I'll never understand a re-loader running out of primers and powder unless they're just new to the hobby.
    It's the outrageous demand we have to work through. Protip: supply is not going to increase. Cabelas imported a ton of S&B primers for the last shortage. By the time it was over, they were offloading them at a loss. Nobody with the slightest bit of business sense is going to spend money to add manufacturing capacity. The most you can hope for is a relaxation of COVID workplace restrictions. The vaccine could help, but everyone is too risk-averse to actually come out and say, "You guys are vaccinated, you can go back to normal, even though we know a certain percentage of you will then get sick, and maybe a few of you will die."

As soon as new shooters stop spending $2500 to buy 3k rounds of 9mm, things will start heading back to normal availability. I think that as soon as the ammo does become available at whatever the new price is, however, you're going to see even more interest in reloading (and a lot of people have taken it up).

I'm optimistic--Brownells had CCI Small Rifle primers in stock for more than eight minutes yesterday morning. I would have bought some, but I'm not exhausted of SPP and I don't know that my revolvers will ignite them reliably. I'm rationing my ammo to ~200 rounds of small pistol and 100 rounds of large pistol a month, and I have enough to last for two years at that rate. When availability returns, I'll start building that reserve back up to maybe 500 of each a month for two years.

User Tag List