Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simply Rugged Shootist

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    This. It's definitely a "form follows function" kind of thing. I love that holster and hate the way it looks.
    I dont mind the looks. I dont like that it closes down making reholstering less than ideal. I think they use to much leather as well.

Kramer makes a much better owb pancake holster. Its horsehide so its stiffer and drawing is much smoother as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I dont mind the looks. I dont like that it closes down making reholstering less than ideal. I think they use to much leather as well.

Kramer makes a much better owb pancake holster. Its horsehide so its stiffer and drawing is much smoother as well.
    My first SR pancake is for a 4” Ruger Redhawk, it definitely suffers from the floppies. My second is the GP-100 holster in the photo, it is stiffer and I have no problems with one handed no-look reholstering. My third is an Ox Blood for my 4 5/8” SBH and it is decidedly stiffer than the other two, but it hasn’t been worn nearly as much since I don’t EDC a single action .44 Magnum. It in fact feels more like horse hide I don’t know if that’s a function of the dye or the grade of leather. All three retain the gun well, at least none have fallen out on the few times I’ve shifted gears from “Saunter” to “Lumber”.

I think SR has developed their product over the years. The Kramer holsters look like the DeSantis holsters I wore as a detective many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    My first SR pancake is for a 4” Ruger Redhawk, it definitely suffers from the floppies. My second is the GP-100 holster in the photo, it is stiffer and I have no problems with one handed no-look reholstering. My third is an Ox Blood for my 4 5/8” SBH and it is decidedly stiffer than the other two, but it hasn’t been worn nearly as much since I don’t EDC a single action .44 Magnum. It in fact feels more like horse hide I don’t know if that’s a function of the dye or the grade of leather. All three retain the gun well, at least none have fallen out on the few times I’ve shifted gears from “Saunter” to “Lumber”.

I think SR has developed their product over the years. The Kramer holsters look like the DeSantis holsters I wore as a detective many years ago.
    My experience with my Simply Rugged pancake holster is that while not as stiff as other holsters, it's stiff enough I can reholster easily. And while it's not as protective as a full flap of course, it comes up high enough over the gun to keep a fair amount of water, dirt, tree branches and other crap out of the gun. I was leery of not having a thumbreak, but so far retention has been great, including during one sledding trip that reminded me of the bobsled guy on Wild World of Sports.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

To offer another data point since the discussion took a little detour, my one and only Simply Rugged pancake holster for my Mountain Gun collapses completely after I draw, to the point where I have to loosen my belt in order to get the revolver back into the holster. Completely unsatisfactory in my opinion. Which is a pity since it's a wonderfully comfortable and quite surprisingly concealable holster. I don't think it even looks that bad (hey, I have Pachmayr stocks on the gun... function first). But the way that holster collapses as soon as the gun leaves it... Nope. Not good.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

If you are still surveying options, I suggest you check Davis Leather. Long lead times, but outstanding workmanship and quality. Not certain they have the specific model you are seeking, but it would be worth a look.

https://davisleathercompany.com/western/

My S.R. pancake sounds in between the rigid and complete collapsing floppy described so far. For me it works as a "field holster" as it protects the gun pretty well.

I imagined it a possible carry rig too because it does conceal well but high riding pancakes like this are brutal for me to draw from.

That lower ride is what appeals to me about the Shootist model.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    We have used a fair number of Simply Rugged holsters, most having been of the "Shootist" or "Cattleman" variety. Here in the Gato house, they are considered to be quality general purpose/utility holsters, but we don't use them much for concealed carry.

The quality of the leather runs from good to really good in our experience, and the above models in particular make for a "traditional" rig if one is looking for such a thing.

I still break out an old Silver Dollar Pancake for occasional use with my rattletrap DAO SP101 even though I am now pretty much done with pancake-type holsters from any maker.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    If I were buying a custom pan cake holster, I would omit the extra belt slots.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    If you are still surveying options, I suggest you check Davis Leather. Long lead times, but outstanding workmanship and quality. Not certain they have the specific model you are seeking, but it would be worth a look.

https://davisleathercompany.com/western/
    I can second the Davis Leather suggestion. He'll answer any questions via phone.

Simply Rugged holsters that I've seen vary quite a bit in rigidness and leather thickness.

There are tens of thousands of holsters on ebay. You can set up alerts for your preferred brands and get daily emails.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    We have used a fair number of Simply Rugged holsters, most having been of the "Shootist" or "Cattleman" variety. Here in the Gato house, they are considered to be quality general purpose/utility holsters, but we don't use them much for concealed carry.

The quality of the leather runs from good to really good in our experience, and the above models in particular make for a "traditional" rig if one is looking for such a thing.

I still break out an old Silver Dollar Pancake for occasional use with my rattletrap DAO SP101 even though I am now pretty much done with pancake-type holsters from any maker.
    Well finally! Someone has seen a Shootist in the flesh. I’ve got concealment covered (no pun intended), I just want a gun belt with holster, reload, GP pouch and knife that I can throw on to comply with my state’s game law concerning hunting pistols or when I’m just getting my single action on at the range.

Got any pix Mr Cat?

User Tag List