Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Time 38 Special Goodness

Site Supporter

Old Time 38 Special Goodness

Stumbled across these pictures looking for something else and thought I would share them with you folks. They are both Heavy Duty models from S&W, the 5" barrel shipped in 1938 and the 4" in 1952/53.

These were the original 38 Special +P+. S&W introduced the Heavy Duty in 1930 along with the new loading of the 38 Special case called the 38-44, intended for law enforcement use. It was a 158g lead bullet going 1125 fps according to S&W and was the forerunner of the 357 Magnum (1935). I shoot a hand load duplicate of the original and it ain't your grandma's 38 Special...although it could be, depending on how old granny is. (smile)

The 5" is a Pre-War long action and it's wearing Grashorn Magna stocks made from sheep horn:

Name:  DSC00075.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  40.1 KB

The 4" from the early-1950s has the then new short action and wears factory Magnas:

Name:  DSC00073.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  39.9 KB

These are great old N-frames and the 4" has one of the smoothest actions I've seen on an unaltered Smith. It has full factory springs but the DA trigger stroke is smooth as glass. What a hoot!

Dave

Those are gorgeous.

Site Supporter
    Thanks 03. The less than pristine finish and shinny high spots and sharp edges just appeal to me. I had a very clean 4" transitional HD that I never shot so I sold it. Kept these two 'cause I like the way they look.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    These are great old N-frames and the 4" has one of the smoothest actions I've seen on an unaltered Smith. It has full factory springs but the DA trigger stroke is smooth as glass. What a hoot!

Dave
    Very nice! .38-44's are definitely on my want list.

Not sure if it's production quality or years of breaking in (probably a bit of both) but I've generally found the post-war five screw Smith's to be the best production triggers of their revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Very nice! .38-44's are definitely on my want list.

Not sure if it's production quality or years of breaking in (probably a bit of both) but I've generally found the post-war five screw Smith's to be the best production triggers of their revolvers.
    Me too! Top of my revo want list! I love seeing them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Nice find.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Both those guns ooze cool.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

The HD was once my old agency's standard issue. There was a nice minty one in the academy museum. I lusted after that thing for twenty five years.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Very nice rollers man. A five inch Smith is just right.

Cat

I miss the lines of that hammer profile. It's a shame Smith ever changed it.

User Tag List