Thread: Police Reform: Primary and Secondary ModCast #261

Student

Police Reform: Primary and Secondary ModCast #261

If you look at the things that really hammer departments on police liability, it comes down to four things: negligent hiring, negligent retention, failure to supervise, failure to train.
    Matt Landfair and Chuck Haggard from earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Matt Landfair and Chuck Haggard from earlier this month.

If you look at the things that really hammer departments on police liability, it comes down to four things: negligent hiring, negligent retention, failure to supervise, failure to train.
    I do not agree with the above statement. Much more significant are the typical claims that an agency's customs, practices and policies violate civil rights, based on some individual act by an officer that is alleged to constitute excessive force, due process violation, unlawful arrest/seizure of a person, etc.

The negligence theory raised in the podcast is more broadly known as vicarious liability and although often thrown into federal lawsuits against law enforcement as a form of "shotgun pleading," those claims only rarely have legs to stand on. Put another way, agencies are not paying out money on claims they hired the wrong people, did not train them right or failed to supervise. Those particular claims are hard to prove and get thrown out frequently. They are being sued and paying out on claims that their policies and practices violate civil rights, and that the individual officer acted in conformity with those practices and polices. Really, almost the opposite of vicarious liability.

I do think more extensive LE training should occur, and that would likely lead to more professional conduct on the street and thus fewer lawsuits, but not because of vicarious liability.

Site Supporter
    The man (Landfair) brought up masking.

The points about in-service training are excellent. So much of it is a waste and a check the box to please whoever.

Yearly training on arrest/search/seizure, defensive tactics, control tactics, and first aid would be much better.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-18-2021 at 01:16 AM.

Site Supporter

NY State Reform Panel member

I had to read this several times to convince myself it was authentic. It is.

How can this be possible?

https://www.policemag.com/600790/man...ce-reform-pane
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I had to read this several times to convince myself it was authentic. It is.

How can this be possible?

https://www.policemag.com/600790/man...ce-reform-pane

Every day I convince myself that I can't be more disgusted by what I see our country willingly turning itself into...and then I find out the next morning just how wrong I was.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Every day I convince myself that I can't be more disgusted by what I see our country willingly turning itself into...and then I find out the next morning just how wrong I was.

blues, I know you're aware that I only clicked "LIKE" because I agree with you. This particular case is so bad because it wasn't like this pos was firing blind and killed the officer. NO....he walked right up and executed him as he lay wounded! WHY is this guy even free? I just can't let this one go. It does help me understand a tiny bit of what you must live with.

From the article: "Rivera spent 39 years behind bars for the cold-blooded killing, before being released in 2019."

And why he was released: "Rivera was appointed to the position based on his community involvement and job as an outreach coordinator helping the homeless through Opportunities, Alternatives and Resources of Tompkins County, LocalSYR.com reports."

Are you shitting me?!?!?!?!
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

User Tag List