Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to paint sight with tritium insert?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Thanks!

Have you tried it? I'd be a little worried about it chipping up all the paint touching it?
    Finally got the new bottle of micromask and the time to paint the front sight. I used a paint pen for the Orange and I’m not totally happy with it not getting as uniform of coverage but here are the results.

Name:  219D18EE-3505-4761-9A4A-4538F65589D3.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  23.2 KB

That's not bad at all. I don't see much chipping or peeling there.

That orange color doesn't exactly pop though. Maybe needs another coat? Or a brighter orange.

I've often heard and looked at finger nail polish, but what I found that matched better and stood out, was Testor's orange model paint.

I’ve had the best luck with orange over a white coat. Call it the MAGA scheme.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Salon Perfect "traffic cone" from Walmart is very bright.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Site Supporter
    +1 on the testors bright orange. I’m on about five years and no need to reapply. I hand painted with the finest tipped brush Michael’s sold.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Thanks!

Have you tried it? I'd be a little worried about it chipping up all the paint touching it?
    Haven't used it on sights, but use it regularly on scale models. This is a 1:48 scale Spitfire canopy. If you run a razor along the edges before you peel it off it can be used to make some clean lines. The stuff at the bottom of the bullet proof plate is the mask ready to come off.

Name:  IMG_6053.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  55.5 KB

I find I really like a circle, rather than covering the whole sight. I find it makes it easier to get rapid alignment, then use the edges of the sight it self to fine tune.

So I bought this tape
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCDKL2

And these punches
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMM3H64

Stuck it on, and put a layer of clear nail polish over it and around the edges. The fact that the circle is just a tiny bit larger than the sight, and that it's slightly offset to the left, drives me nuts (OCD much?) but overall I actually kind of like it. It looks better in real life than in the pics. When you're not zoomed in you don't see the imperfections, and it's really easy to see and acquire the sights.

The tritium shows through in the dark. It is unfortunately slightly dimmer now that it has to go through the nail polish, and the hole is a little on the small side. But it's still pretty good.

Name:  orange_sight_1.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  15.6 KBName:  orange_sight_2.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  20.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Name:  3EE95663-5112-41CC-A4A9-BB6578EB5CC5.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  33.3 KB

Realized I never added a pic to the above post.

Oh damn, that's nice. Any more zoomed in photos?

You did that all by hand? Did you need to do 20 coats? I experimented with some Testors orange and it seemed extremely thin.

User Tag List