Thread: need a recommendation for a Leupold scope

need a recommendation for a Leupold scope

Hi team,

need a recommendation for a Leupold scope for a 16.5" ar15 that will be used primarily for 300+yd shooting.

its an accurate rifle. Looking to spend 1k+

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    Hi team,

need a recommendation for a Leupold scope for a 16.5" ar15 that will be used primarily for 300+yd shooting.

Thanks.
    Here are some sources:
    https://thearmsguide.com/15167/best-...cope-for-ar15/
    https://thegunzone.com/best-leupold-scope-for-ar15/

you are going to need to poke around the Leupold site and get a feel for the current line up, most of the guides you will find on the 'Net are out of date as they discontinued all their under $1000 "tactical" scopes. It might help if you give a bit more on the features you are interested it. If you don't mind a basic duplex reticle, lots of good choices by Leupold in the VX-5D and VX-3HD lines.

if you are interested in reticle that have holds worked out, and can only afford 1k, you might have to look else where.

some of the reviews I dug into last year suggest that the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x is actually a lot more comparable to the Razor Gen2-e 1x6 than one might expect, and it comes in under 1k. just one example off the top of my head.

With your budget, I'd start here: https://www.nightforceoptics.com/rif...hv/shv-3-10x42 and not think twice about a gold ring.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    Hi team,

Thanks.
    Why leupold? They don't have a lot of products that I would recommend to be honest.

Not certain what magnification range you're looking for but I am going to assume at least 2x on the low end at least 15x on the high end.

On the low side of your budget range I'd look at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44. It is arguably the best of the Viper lineup and a real value. I would also look at the Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP with the MRAD reticle. Another really good buy in this range.

On the higher end, I'd look at the Tract Toric UHD 4-20x50 or even the Razor 4.7-27 if you're willing to push closer to $2k.

I just picked up a Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 for a 16" AR. Made for them by LOW of Japan. I bought mine for just under $1k new. See a photo below.

I am quite happy with it for my purposes. It is very light at about 23oz and the glass is very clear and the reticle is quite usable. I haven't gotten the chance to stretch the scope out yet but 10x high end mag should be plenty to take me to the limits of the 5.56 cartridge. The tool-less zero and zero stop setting are rather nice as well.

Scope

+1 for the Meopta Optika6 scope. A 3-18x50 or 2.5-15x44, heck, even the 1-6x24 might work great for you. If I'm shooting by the old saying, aim small miss small, I'd opt for the higher magnification options. If I'm predator hunting or target shooting I can get away with using the 1-6x24 scope. Definitely worth looking at. I have the Optika6 1-6x24 KDOT on my competition carbine and a 3-18x50 MRAD FFP on my predator rifle. Great European glass and built tough.

Here's a pic of my 1-6x24
    "Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it."

Thanks for all the suggestions.

User Tag List