Thread: VPNs, and Nord's fall from grace...

VPNs, and Nord's fall from grace...

Nord's development team:

"Hey guys, I've got an idea for the newest update. Our users employ VPNs because they want to avoid interference from governments and non-state actors, so let's require them to log in through a web page that can be manipulated and/or outright blocked by government and non-state actors."

Great job, Nord. Genius work. You guys are clearly experts in your field.

The work around right now is to download what they're calling a "test" version, which in reality is just the old pre-update version where you connect to the VPN using the app instead of a web browser. It's quite evident that it's just the old version which they've relabeled as "test" to make themselves appear progressive on the issue......it actually even asks you constantly to update to the newest version which you're bound to accidentally click on at some point.

I guess it's at least a short term solution while I find a new VPN, since this braintrust and their endeavors has caused a serious lack of confidence in their product's efficacy regardless if we (users of the internet outside the US and Europe) are able to connect to their servers for the time being. I mean, if they're this fucking dumb, just imagine what the rest of the product's quality is actually like....

A quick read of the interwebs gives me the impression they're hemorrhaging customers right now.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I ended up with ProtonVPN, which I am kinda happy with so far. I have the free service. Generally I only activate it when we travel, in hotels and gyms and so forth. For sure at the airport. But to be honest, I try and just take basic precautions, i.e. not use a WiFi WAP I'm not familiar with, turn off Bluetooth most of the time, etc. etc.

It is certainly a mixed bag of VPN services out there, and I'm no expert, that's for sure. Sounds like Nord pulled a boner. I'll be interested in what our resident computer guys say about what is a good VPN these days.

Site Supporter
    I've had good luck with PIA (Private Internet Access) which was recommended by a super IT-dork G2 intelligence LTC I worked adjacent to at one point. But I'm always interested in new information/better options.

Had not noticed this, maybe hasn’t updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched from Nord last year to PIA as @JRB mentioned.

Occasionally PF doesn't like it so I just manually switch locations and it will let me log in.

User Tag List