Thread: Pre-War N-Frame Grip Length

Site Supporter

Pre-War N-Frame Grip Length

I've seen it widely reported that pre-war N-frames are anywhere between 1/32" and 1/8" longer than post-war frames.

I've got a pre-war N with what I believe are original stocks. I've shot and carried it a bit, but I'd like the peace of mind of not having to worry about cracking / dinging the originals. Am I correct in assuming that most N-frame replacement stocks on the market won't fit a pre-war frame without having some material removed? I'm not particularly handy when it comes to woodworking... what is involved in fitting a pair of stocks?

I'm pretty sure that Kieth Brown (KB Grips) said that they are shorter prewar but the most he's seen is 40 thousanths. That's from measuring I don't know how many guns, but a lot.

He made prewar stocks but isn't taking orders, used models are out there.
    Sorry, I don't know other makers.

LONGER not shorter, sorry for that typo, Prewar is LONGER of course like you said.
    Can't seem to edit the post.

Site Supporter
    I have a 1938 shipped 5" Heavy Duty, the old long action. I also have a 1952 4" Heavy Duty, the newer short action. The Magna style stocks I have on the 1938 overhang the butt of the 1952 by a little bit. Not horrible or ugly but if I had to use those stocks on the short action gun I would end up sanding them down to be flush.

YMMV,
    Dave

User Tag List