Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Ammo Available

Site Supporter

.38 Special Ammo Available

Albeit at a stupid price here.

You can do better here:

https://ammoshoponline.com/shop/cali...ox-limit-copy/

They also have Norma .357 FMJ at the same price.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    You can do better here:

https://ammoshoponline.com/shop/cali...ox-limit-copy/

They also have Norma .357 FMJ at the same price.
    That’s much better!

Ugh, this was the year I was finally going to get my first revolver, but not while range ammunition at $0.80 / per round is a bargain. Fortunately I'm stocked up comfortably on calibers I depend on so I'm going to have to ride out this cycle until things calm back down. Maybe the used market will also become favorable when the panic buyers decide to sell.

First world problems.

What is it with 38 spl prices these days being stupid in particular, more so than the other calibers?

Is it simple supply and demand (assuming that for every round of 38 that gets cranked out, 10 of 9mm do so as well--maybe something like that?)

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Damn. I’ve been disconnected for a while but this is just plain stupid. I need to replace the wafer thin workroom door with something that has multiple bolts and a tumbler.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    That’s much better!

Shipping is kind of a lot though...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Shipping is kind of a lot though...
    I agree. I was going to try a couple boxes as I liked the looks of the wider meplat bullet and 900+ fps velocity. Thought it would be a dandy round in my new-to-me M10-10 HB. Then they added the shipping. I'm not ready to pay over $100 for 100 rounds of 38 Special ammunition, no mater how nice it is. I'll just carry my home made +P rounds.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    What is it with 38 spl prices these days being stupid in particular, more so than the other calibers?

Is it simple supply and demand (assuming that for every round of 38 that gets cranked out, 10 of 9mm do so as well--maybe something like that?)
    1. Small pistol primers - the vast majority of supply for SPP is going into producing 9mm ammo
    2. Production lines - the big manufacturers have lines that are specifically dedicated to making high demand calibers like 9mm or 223 Rem; the machine that makes 38 Special also probably needs to make 45 Colt and 30-30 Win as well, so the line isn't dedicated to just making 38 rounds.
    3. Demand is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up - tons of new gun owners entered the market this year, NSSF estimates at least 8MM. If even 10% of those people bought wheelguns, you're talking about 800,000 new revolver owners in what was already a pretty boutique market.

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Ugh, this was the year I was finally going to get my first revolver, but not while range ammunition at $0.80 / per round is a bargain. Fortunately I'm stocked up comfortably on calibers I depend on so I'm going to have to ride out this cycle until things calm back down. Maybe the used market will also become favorable when the panic buyers decide to sell.

First world problems.
    You could buy a 9mm or 45ACP revolver...

User Tag List