Thread: CLASS REVIEW-AAR: Field Craft & Survival: Gun Fighter Carbine 1, CT, 6-7-21

CLASS REVIEW-AAR: Field Craft & Survival: Gun Fighter Carbine 1, CT, 6-7-21

Field Craft & Survival
    fieldcraftsurvival.com
    Gun Fighter Carbine Course Level 1
    March 7, 2021​

Instructors: Raul Martinez & Chris Galls
    Weather: Indoor Range
    Round Count: 400+/-
    Students: 19
    Time: 9am – 3pm
    Cost: $375

-----
    Again, we started off in the classroom signing waivers and attendance sheets for the local range and Fieldcraft. The class was to start at 9 am but the instructors we a little late getting to the range this morning. A brief safety a medical briefing was done by the club representative while we waited for the Fieldcraft instructors to arrive. They arrived at 9:15 and were apologetic for being late they got held up at the hotel for covid reasons, it would not affect the class. If we start 15 minutes late then we will go 15 minutes later in the afternoon. Raul once again told us that we were going to be doing big boy range rules, do not be stupid, and do not shoot anyone or ourselves. If by chance you do shoot yourself and you are carrying medical supplies, try to self-care and deal with it yourself. If you are unable or you do not have any medical supplies, I will jump in and take over.

We went downstairs to the range and did a range walkthrough. Identified any places or angles where we were NOT to shoot in the berm. Only the far ends of the berm had angle irons and we were told NOT to shoot them. If we were aiming in and we saw that in the backdrop was the angle irons, we were not to take the shot.

Raul had all of us line up with cold guns. He showed us how he wanted us to pick the gun up, weave our support hand into the sling bring the gun up, safety off, safety on, put the sling on necklace style, fully put the sling on, take the sling off and set the gun back on the deck. We were to do this at least 10 times as the instructors walked around and saw how we handled the gun; sling manipulated the safety on and off. We were instructed not to break our grip when going back on safe. Anytime the gun comes off our eyes the safety was to go on, mag changes safety on.

We broke up into two groups. The beginners (anyone that had not shot 200 rounds in the past few weeks) and the balance of the class. Raul took the beginners and Chris Galls had the “cool guys” on the larger range. There were 14 students on Chris’s side and five students on Raul’s side. I was on Chris’s side again. Chris gave us a short bio of himself. Former Marine with multiple deployments in Iraq and a long-time Miami Florida SWAT officer and SWAT trainer. www.ttogllc.net/christian-galls

The cold drill was placing our carbine on the deck at 20 yards in condition four. Mag out, bolt forward, chamber empty, and the safety on. One at a time we were to walk over pick up the gun, load the gun, sling it, charge it, walk towards the target shooting ten shots into the A zone of a cardboard IDPA target. I set myself up with a 10-round mag so I would not have to count the shots.

We worked on our holdovers within 7 yards from low ready, and high ready focusing on the target and waiting until we see our dot to show up where we wanted it on the target. No looking through the optic for the dot. We worked on bringing the gun up fast into a shooting position and breaking the shot under ¾ of a second as a group and then individually against a shot timer. We then did it from a high-ready position for a much faster time. We learned to look over the sight until we found a target and snapping the gun up until the dot was there.

We learned how to rest the stock on our shoulder and snap it into a shooting position fast and break the shot once the gun was where it needed to be. That is a fast process from rest to shot. I liked that position. You could move around and be extremely fast to a shooting position. We focused on our vice grip as we shot multiple shots with this process. VERY COOL!

Prioritizing was the next skill. Just like in the pistol class, this was a form of point shooting. In today’s class, Chris was clearer about when this skill could be used. If you were within seven yards AND there was NOTHING in the background, this was a deadly skill and amazingly fast. We started off with the stock on our should and the gun horizontal we would find where we thought was the center and press the trigger. Once we found the correct spot, we burned that place in with many iterations, so we knew where that gun was to be located to get accurate hits. We did this from 3 yards moved back to 5 yards and then back to seven yards. Started off with single shots working our way up to five shots as fast as we could shoot them accurately. The targets were impressive. 95% of all the shots were in the A or C zone of the targets. Chris again told us this option is a super-fast and accurate option for when the distance to target was within seven yards and the background was zero.

We worked on our cadence while still getting A zone center and headbox shots. Starting off with a slow five-shot string and increasing to a five-shot rapid cadence, focusing on pulling the rifle in a vicing the grip. This was done from ten yards to fifteen yards from the target.

We worked movement drills by weaving in and out of targets engaging the shooting target as soon it came into view both forward and backward. This drill worked smooth footwork, spatial awareness, gun manipulation in confined spaces, and shooting while moving. We did this a few times first with the gun down while moving latterly behind cover and we did it gun high on our shoulder while moving.

The last drill of the day was a longer drill where the targets were numbered, you were seven yards to target starting off in a relaxed position Chris would yell out the target number, round count, movement left, right, forward, back. This was a fast-paced drill that lasted two standard capacity magazines.

I very much enjoyed this class. I really like Chris's style and ability to connect with his students. This was a fast-paced class that did not leave anyone behind. Looking back on the class, I realized that the first half of the day was fundamentals, and the second half of the day was gunfighting. The class focused on getting acceptable accurate rounds on target as fast as possible. There was truly little downtime as there was no lunch break. You recharged mags, hydrated, and snacked while the other string was on the line. There were two five-minute breaks during the day to use the bathrooms if needed. This is not an inexpensive class, but I certainly thought I got my monies worth in experience.
    ##

Hammertime
    I have briefly met Raul and he seems like a very good, humble and squared away dude.

User Tag List