Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Fail Shot discussion, runs, variants

Did a cold run of the original No Fail Shot at 25 with 92d/langdon rdo. Then using my brig tac/22conversion/d conversion/dovetail mount holosun amalgamation - did my 50 round modified version at 5/10/15/20/25 and finally, after running other stuff for the day, finished with a random distance "proof" if you will. The random number generator chose 9 so i ran it at 9 yards which has a 1.9 par.

Initial centerfire run of the original was an absolute dumpster fire. When I did the 8/10 run last week it was with the rdo gun zeroed with 147 hst and using leftover hst from last year. Today I used 115 random ammo I was gifted from some supplier I've never heard of. It seemed to impact high but I am loathe to blame ammo/equipment and it had quite a horizontal dispersion so I'm going to say I just had a rough cold performance. Huge pattern with only 3/10 in the black and a Mike...yikes. The first shot was ot but then all the rest were under par. (zero consolation)

I let it go and moved on to my rimfire practice gun. It doesn't run the best and suffered numerous light strikes and failures to feed along with a few nasty double feeds. Since I don't count the runs for pr's but it is affordable practice at the moment and ot runs don't count against the score if it's due to a light strike or other malfunction.

Starting at 5 yards - I went over par on the first two draws and had 1 outside the black for 7/10. Hits were 10's aside from a single 9 and the pulled 8.

At 10 i had 1 run with a malf that I re-ran(both hits). Other than that it was solid. Nine in the 10 ring and two in the 9 ring (11 total with the reshoot) all under time. The only good string of the test.

On the 15 yard stage I made par on all as long as i didn't have a light strike, which there were two of. Dropped 1 out with six 9's and three 10's. Meh

At 20 I started to let the wheels fall off. I had 3 light strikes(1 of which I redid as it was a dud round) but all other runs were in time. Dropped two outside the black with two 10's and six 9's. Certainly room for improvement as the hits were biased right.

My attempt at redemption from the disgusting start to the day went somewhat better. One ot, one lightstrike. The other 8 under par. No mikes but only 6/10 in the black. No excuses just didn't make it happen.

Later on after a few drills I did the random number test of this and it gave me 9 yards with 1.9 par. One lightstrike out the gate and a stuck case the the ejector jumped off the rim of, which was fun to get out. A pair of lightstrikes later on with the rest under par. So long as it ignited on first strike then I was under. Hits were good - all black with six 10's and four 9's. I'll take that all day.

Aside from rimfire woes, I think my big take away was that I was TAKEing the shot vs MAKEing the shot happen, which is in line with what Chuck alluded to when he said dudes weren't getting the cognitive side of the drill. Guilty as charged. I'll keep working it though and aside from equipment issues, it was an enjoyable session. I got a new mount for my tripod so I had video today but don't generally mess with a bunch of video. Lots of mumbling but I'll have to look at it closer when I have time tonight and see what bad habits I need to work on and clean up. I've been practicing out of an enigma for awhile but have to run my rimfire out of a floodlight since it is too wide to work in the holster attached to the enigma.

I passed this drill over the summer, but I had been shooting onto a USPSA target from 50m, so I would not say I was cold, which is part of this drill if I am remembering correctly. I have tried it a few times before without success. Definitely a great drill and I think that his background shines through with the aspect of self inflicted pressure and performance on demand.

Cold with 150 syntech through the 92dxr/langdon rdo/holosun combo. 4/10 with high mikes. Checked zero later and was a bit high and left with carry ammo thus requiring a slight adjustment. I'll see if this changes anything with the syntech next time out. Regardless, I wasn't on point enough to pass today.

Later I did a run with my 617 from owb match rig. 8/10 all under time except where I had two light strikes. I'm slow drawing this owb from the gamer rig right now so times were comparable to the 92d from aiwb. High 2/low 3 zone.

7/10 cold today with a single OT string using the 92dxr and langdon rdo slide with a holosun 407c using 147 or 150 syntech (can't remember offhand).

Long version

Name:  20210328_094041.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  22.3 KB
    Short version

For funsies I ran one attempt with a buddies 5" m2.0 pc and the crimson trace dot that came with it. The striker trigger, though very light, threw me off a bit. I did use garbage reman ammo that I was gifted but did horribly. Striker triggers bring out my anticipation for sure. A huge miss off the b8 and several outside the black. Woof! The self humiliation in pursuit of personal glory continues!

Name:  20210328_100420.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  23.9 KB
    M&p shittery

HK P2000 v1
    Night Fision FS paired with Trijicon RS
    Berry's 147HHP

Working on being neutral / paused during the break. Not sure if neutral is a good description as it could imply continued movement. Paused implies stopped motion, so that may be a better description. I would like to say that being able to shoot 100pts slowfire is helpful, but adding in the compressed time and draw, is an entirely different skillset. I continue to be humbled by this drill.
    Working on tying the physical to the visual. Meaning what I feel (feelings lie) and how it relates to the visual result. I've been pretty good at calling my shots, and confirming with a 6x magnifier. Stopping and mentally reviewing after each shot and asking "What caused that" be it good or bad.
    Very pleased with the process, minus the one that got away. However, that one "felt" like it was off paper.

Name:  20210402_154956.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  29.4 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Today's cold attempt. No go.

I just had to give a thumbs up for the video title.

Had some time to look at the video and compare to the times finally.

My par was set at 1.7 from dry practice and i never bothered changing it.

I had one ot string on the 6th shot. I took the extra time when it looked bad and corrected and drilled a 10 ring hit for a 3.61. That one string embodies what the drill is to accomplish i believe. Unfortunately i didn't do that with the other 9 strings...

My misses were all sub 3 strings. Clearly I'm calling it good to press but not having as refined a sight picture or press as i needed.

Times were pretty varied, showing plenty of inconsistency shot to shot. 3.31, 2.94(m), 3.04, 2.81(m), 2.69(m), 3.61, 2.67(m), 2.99, 2.6, 2.72

Had a rough day yesterday so I decided to shoot irons on a p09 kadet kit today for fun so I could loosen up and relax.

Initial no fail cold was all biased right. I had attempted to put a dot on this kit but it was a failed experiment and I never got around to zeroing the rear iron sight.

The vertical stringing was obviously me but I realized that I could hold the left side of the b8 black and get fair hits. This was the 25 yard string of the fbi bullseye cof doing just that. Better, still needs work but since I didn't have tools to adjust with me today it would have to do. After finishing the fbi bull run and a run of my modified bianchi practical cof I ran the 50 round no fail using the standard distances of 5,10,15,20,25 and coinciding pars.

25 holding left edge of b8 black

At the 1.5 second par 5 yard string I had 1 mike and 1 ot hit due to a light strike that.

At the 2 second 10 yard string I had 1 mike and 1 light strike.

For the 2.5 second 15 yard portion I had yet another light strike and 1 ot hit

3 seconds at the 20 yard line I made the par and had no light strikes but dropped 3 outside the black.

Standard no fail at 25 in 3.5 started rough with an ot light strike and an additional light strike but all hits were in the black!!! Very solid iron sight performance for me and I hope to get my p series omega cz's dotted at some point in the future. Easy to conceal in an enigma with just a touch of effort for my size. I think once I get this kit zeroed next week I'll work with it for a bit and see if I can pull off an iron sight passing score on the no fail shot at 25, even if it's not cold. Haven't passed with a dotted beretta 92d yet but this is currently calling my attention.

10 single shot draws each at 5/10/15/20/25 with above mentioned pars. From 15 and out I had to hold the left edge of the b8 black to get hits in the black.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Time lapse No Fail

Here is a mean one.

Time-lapse No Fail:
    Only first round of session counts towards the No Fail, then standard No Fail rules apply. 24hrs between shots / last shot if continuing to shoot. This is what I could do on these days, truly cold, zero warm up.

HK P2000 v1 LEM

Fired on: 05/18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29.

Failed accuracy on day 3...times were all good.

Name:  20210529_123654.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  33.8 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List