Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Fail Shot discussion, runs, variants

No Fail Shot discussion, runs, variants

I know there are several of us currently working on the No Fail shot. It seemed like a thread of it's own to discuss our progress, variations, and successes or learnings could be helpful. And we might rah rah each other to victory while also not bogging down the 25 yard freestyle thread.

A month or so back, I had a quick exchange with Chuck Pressburg about an idea using the No Fail shot as a basis for a standard to work toward maintaining during the ammo crunch or just in general.

In the name of not getting to pick your test, aka distance, and draw to first shot being the most important thing we can do I came up with this variable drill based on the no fail shot time broken down and easily adjusted to any yardage.

Looking at the no fail shot standard, I deduced it to 1 second to get the gun out of the holster and 2.5 seconds to work the trigger and get the hit at 25. That worked out to .1 per yard with the standard of getting the gun out in 1 second not changing. So to apply the same standard to any yardage the math is simple and since proximity merits more speed the formula is easy to keep track of and apply on the fly while keeping the same standard of black of a b8 for 10 consecutive reps.

So for example - for 3 yards I want to maintain 1.3 second draws to the b8 black 10 times (1 second to get the gun out and three 1/10's to work the trigger/1 per yard) for 14 yards it would be 2.4 seconds (1 plus fourteen 1/10's). Chuck thought it was well thought out and said he'd be cool with the times.

As a standard test I would run it at 5/10/15/20/25 (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 pars respectively) for 50 one shot draws with goals of 10 consecutive hits in the black at each stage and as a single test of a random yardage (using a random number generator on my phone to decide where). While the times won't get you loads of ig followers, I think they're a reasonable standard to work toward maintaining with dry practice and the best part for me, is since it's single shot draws, I can work it with a .22 conversion and not be out much(.22 is going to be my main ammo consumption this year in the current pricing climate).

That sounds like a great test, I like it a lot.

Hammertime
    I really like your variation. Will try next time I shoot.

Attempt today with P2000 v1

Failed.... but hey, I was so close.

Name:  20210309_153716.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  29.2 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

I would rather not talk about it. j/k, good stuff.

So I ran it today. Since I have an IDPA match Saturday I ran OWB with open front concealment. Score wise it was one big fail, but learning wise I think it went ok. The 5 yard stage was the most problematic. I am not practiced with this set up and it showed in my draw times. The farther back I got, the better I did except for the fact that I had a hard time slowing down after rushing so much on the first string. At 25 I almost made it.

Name:  PXL_20210311_231301754.MP.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  33.8 KB

I feel like i also prefer starting further away/ slower then ramping up, but on the 99 drill for example, I've just ran it as written.

Once i can shoot centerfire regularly, i think it would be an interesting thing to test out.

On something like accelerator, in my head i prefer going far to near but don't think my averages show much difference going the other way. Not sure how much difference it might make on longer tests though.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    A month or so back, I had a quick exchange with Chuck Pressburg about an idea using the No Fail shot as a basis for a standard to work toward maintaining during the ammo crunch or just in general.

In the name of not getting to pick your test, aka distance, and draw to first shot being the most important thing we can do I came up with this variable drill based on the no fail shot time broken down and easily adjusted to any yardage.

Looking at the no fail shot

What is the No Fail shot and the concept behind it? (Link to previous discussions is fine if this has all been explained and I’m late to the party.)

Thanks. I can hose. What I can’t do is hold the 8 ring every single time at 25 yards, and that’s what I want to work on. So this No Fail shot is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    What is the No Fail shot and the concept behind it? (Link to previous discussions is fine if this has all been explained and I’m late to the party.)

Thanks. I can hose. What I can’t do is hold the 8 ring every single time at 25 yards, and that’s what I want to work on. So this No Fail shot is interesting.

Here is Chuck's explanation of the original.
    https://youtu.be/6L8TNhE3Lac

In our exchange, he stressed the visual and cognitive side of the drill and not letting the shot happen with tons of time dry practicing and live firing but MAKING each shot happen.

The extended version i posted above is just an extension of Chuck's drill with times adjusted for distance. The idea being when your test comes you won't get to pick your distance but still have a standard to meet, with the idea of making each shit happen still being the goal, however lofty or reachable it be for you.

I just wanted a reasonable standard to maintain and, while largely arbitrary, the formula is easy to remember and takes fair skill to consistently perform.

User Tag List