Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock MOS vs Milled 3rd Party Systems like Unity?

Glock MOS vs Milled 3rd Party Systems like Unity?

I’ve only been casually following the pistol red dot scene over the last decade. Getting closer to wanting to buy one. I think whenever a V2 acro comes out I might pull the trigger.

When things first started, I think it was a free for all on milling slides specific to a certain optic. And then companies like Unity came out and made some standard mill option that would accept plates for different optics, so you could change the optic and not need a new slide/new milling.

Then Glock comes out with the MOS a couple years ago that does the same thing, except in a factory OEM way. But the glock factory plates suck so 3rd parties have been making plates to match the MOS.

Please clear up my history if I’m wrong.

But now I’m seeing Unity is releasing a V2 of the atom mount milling system. I’m confused by this because I would have assumed once glock released the MOS, it would have totally destroyed the market for an aftermarket milling plate. Why would I buy a new non-MOS glock and ship it to a Smith to mill for a Unity 2 plate, when I can buy a factory MOS? Pre-milled in an industry standard way that even 3rd party shops make plates for?

Perhaps it’s because the market is meant for people with pre-MOS guns, who don’t want to buy a new gun, and want their old gun milled? Even still, I would think to my gun milled to the factory MOS spec because eventually Unity will abandon the Atom 2, and once that happens, any new optics won’t have plates made that work to my milling. But I highlly doubt glock will abandon the MOS standard. At least I see Unity going under or changing to Atom 3 before glock ditches MOS.

I’m ignorant of this space so maybe the glock MOS cut isn’t good, and maybe the Atom 2 will do something better? I just assumed a cut is a cut and the only issue would be ensuring support for future optics to have plates made by a reputable vendor.

There is a lot to unpack in you post, but let’s start with a cut is not a cut and not all plates are created equal.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Considering that the cost of plastic guns (Glock, M&P, etc) versus the cost of optics is nearly 1:1; I no longer see tremendous value in future proofing a slide with a flexible plate system. And I say this having spent the time and resources to get an Agency Arms AOS cut on a Glock 45.

Just something to consider...

And now I understand Glock is offering the MOS3/MOS5 slides cut to specific optics (DPP and RMR) to certain customers...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    And now I understand Glock is offering the MOS3/MOS5 slides cut to specific optics (DPP and RMR) to certain customers...
    Yes, the MOS 3 and MOS 2 respectively. The MOS 2 has been available in Europe and South Africa for a couple years now.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-08-2021 at 11:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I’ve only been casually following the pistol red dot scene over the last decade. Getting closer to wanting to buy one. I think whenever a V2 acro comes out I might pull the trigger.

When things first started, I think it was a free for all on milling slides specific to a certain optic. And then companies like Unity came out and made some standard mill option that would accept plates for different optics, so you could change the optic and not need a new slide/new milling.

Then Glock comes out with the MOS a couple years ago that does the same thing, except in a factory OEM way. But the glock factory plates suck so 3rd parties have been making plates to match the MOS.

Please clear up my history if I’m wrong.

But now I’m seeing Unity is releasing a V2 of the atom mount milling system. I’m confused by this because I would have assumed once glock released the MOS, it would have totally destroyed the market for an aftermarket milling plate. Why would I buy a new non-MOS glock and ship it to a Smith to mill for a Unity 2 plate, when I can buy a factory MOS? Pre-milled in an industry standard way that even 3rd party shops make plates for?

Perhaps it’s because the market is meant for people with pre-MOS guns, who don’t want to buy a new gun, and want their old gun milled? Even still, I would think to my gun milled to the factory MOS spec because eventually Unity will abandon the Atom 2, and once that happens, any new optics won’t have plates made that work to my milling. But I highlly doubt glock will abandon the MOS standard. At least I see Unity going under or changing to Atom 3 before glock ditches MOS.

I’m ignorant of this space so maybe the glock MOS cut isn’t good, and maybe the Atom 2 will do something better? I just assumed a cut is a cut and the only issue would be ensuring support for future optics to have plates made by a reputable vendor.
    The Unity ATOM plate system predated the MOS. The ATOM 2 was in the works for a long time before it was released at the 2020 SHOT show. It was likely in development before the improved aftermarket MOS plates. The issue is Unity is great at designing and developing gear but have issues producing it in quantities necessary to meet demand.

If I wanted a non-MOS modular optics cut I would look at the Agency Arms AOS system. Not because the Atom 2 is bad but because of availability and likelihood of future support.

The MOS system with improved plates like the C&H Precision plate have been tested an approved by multiple federal state and local LE agencies. Good or bad, the MOS is the most common optics systems and it's here to stay. As a result MOS will be the most likely to receive continuing improvement and both factory and aftermarket support.

For example, you won't see a direct mount Atom2 optic but odds are you will see a direct mount MOS optic. U.S. CBP, the largest law enforcement agency in North America with 45,000 officers now issues MOS Glocks and recently put out a request to industry for an optic which mounts directly to the MOS cut without an adaptor plate. When an entity which wants to buy 50,000 or 60,000 optics makes such such a request the industry listens. My understanding is 20% of the Glocks sold in the US are now MOS models. That is a big potential aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

If I wanted a non-MOS modular optics cut I would look at the Agency Arms AOS system. Not because the Atom 2 is bad but because of availability and likelihood of future support.

I own both Unity Atom and Agency AOS and I don't think they are too far apart in their lack of manufacturing capabilities and market response time. Just an example of Agency having a 509T plate but offering it only with new slide jobs tells me enough about their production capacity. Yet, they have a Viper plate that literally nobody uses for anything.
    If I did it again, I'd do either mos or direct mill.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I own both Unity Atom and Agency AOS and I don't think they are too far apart in their lack of manufacturing capabilities and market response time. Just an example of Agency having a 509T plate but offering it only with new slide jobs tells me enough about their production capacity. Yet, they have a Viper plate that literally nobody uses for anything.
    If I did it again, I'd do either mos or direct mill.
    Nothing wrong with Unity’s design or quality.

Agency is a small company but custom handguns and parts for same are their core business vs being a side line for Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    Considering that the cost of plastic guns (Glock, M&P, etc) versus the cost of optics is nearly 1:1; I no longer see tremendous value in future proofing a slide with a flexible plate system. And I say this having spent the time and resources to get an Agency Arms AOS cut on a Glock 45.

Just something to consider...
    Sorry but I don’t get it. If the gun us about $500 to $600 and the red dot is about $500 to $600, then a custom cut might be $1k to $1400 factoring in the cost to mill.

If you bought an MOS you’d have the same up front cost but in 5 years when a much better optic comes out, you only have to spend $500 to $600 on the new optic and $100 on a new plate versus $1400 for a whole new gun.

And what do you do with the old gun? Keep it with an aging less idea optic permanently mounted forever? Try to sell it but get much less than you paid since fewer people will want a 5+ year old optic permanently milled to a gun?

Because the guns are so expensive and 1:1 to the red dot it seems the better course of action is to get an MOS that’s future proofed without having to mill a whole new gun. But maybe I’m misunderstanding because I’m inexperienced with red dots so please help me understand before I buy my first one and make a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Unity ATOM plate system predated the MOS. The ATOM 2 was in the works for a long time before it was released at the 2020 SHOT show. It was likely in development before the improved aftermarket MOS plates. The issue is Unity is great at designing and developing gear but have issues producing it in quantities necessary to meet demand.

The MOS system with improved plates like the C&H Precision plate have been tested an approved by multiple federal state and local LE agencies. Good or bad, the MOS is the most common optics systems and it's here to stay. As a result MOS will be the most likely to receive continuing improvement and both factory and aftermarket support.

For example, you won't see a direct mount Atom2 optic but odds are you will see a direct mount MOS optic. U.S. CBP, the largest law enforcement agency in North America with 45,000 officers now issues MOS Glocks and recently put out a request to industry for an optic which mounts directly to the MOS cut without an adaptor plate. When an entity which wants to buy 50,000 or 60,000 optics makes such such a request the industry listens. My understanding is 20% of the Glocks sold in the US are now MOS models. That is a big potential aftermarket.
    This makes a lot of sense. So Unity developed the 2 before MOS was released and rather than abandoning their R&D they decided to put it forward even though most intelligent consumers would likely pick the MOS due to it being more future proof, right?

And because MOS is out, fewer people will buy the Atom 2, and therefore reduce longevity of the Atom even more?

I have a bunch of Gen 3 glocks and I would have bought an Atom slide for it, but the Atom 1 have been discontinued and Atom 2 is only gen 4/gen 5. If I was buying a new gen 5 gun, I’ll get a gen 5 MOS and I’ll probably wind up doing that. Seems like a missed opportunity because the only way I’d buy an Atom slide is if it came in Gen 3.

But like you said, Unity can’t make enough stuff. I’ve been eying several pieces of unity tactical stuff for months and they can’t produce things fast enough it seems so I can’t seen them making a gen 3 glock anything in 2021.

I am wondering if I can get a gen 3 glock cut for MOS plates, then I can keep using my existing guns and have future proof plate system installed.

User Tag List