Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock MOS vs Milled 3rd Party Systems like Unity?

Sorry if I was not clear.

Plastic guns are consumables that are getting better with each new generation. Gen 5 glocks are better than gen 4, etc. so considering the added expense of a Unity or an Agency system, it makes sense to sell an older generation Glock and buy a new gun for the new optic.

A direct mill optic is always going to be better than a plate. Less parts, fewer things to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    A direct mill optic is always going to be better than a plate. Less parts, fewer things to break.
    And a little lower.

I think the optic you desire could be part of the decision criteria, if you want something that is an RMR footprint it is very improbable that all improved future optics will abandon that configuration.

Also there are probably block off plates that would leave you with an iron sight gun like you have now.

In my case I am more into the S&W CORE platform, and those guns also cost ~$150 more. And the 2.0 factory plates are maybe lame, so there is another $40-$50. But they come with sights, but not ones I prefer. So I could get a direct mill job on the cheaper gun and be at about the same price point with a simpler, lower mount with backup sights I might end up with installing on the CORE gun anyway.

But I would only do this in the RMR footprint.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    This makes a lot of sense. So Unity developed the 2 before MOS was released and rather than abandoning their R&D they decided to put it forward even though most intelligent consumers would likely pick the MOS due to it being more future proof, right?

And because MOS is out, fewer people will buy the Atom 2, and therefore reduce longevity of the Atom even more?

I have a bunch of Gen 3 glocks and I would have bought an Atom slide for it, but the Atom 1 have been discontinued and Atom 2 is only gen 4/gen 5. If I was buying a new gen 5 gun, I’ll get a gen 5 MOS and I’ll probably wind up doing that. Seems like a missed opportunity because the only way I’d buy an Atom slide is if it came in Gen 3.

But like you said, Unity can’t make enough stuff. I’ve been eying several pieces of unity tactical stuff for months and they can’t produce things fast enough it seems so I can’t seen them making a gen 3 glock anything in 2021.

I am wondering if I can get a gen 3 glock cut for MOS plates, then I can keep using my existing guns and have future proof plate system installed.
    Unity makes a lot of specialized gear for the special ops community. The main market for the original ATOM slides was units who had Glocks and wanted RDS pistols because/ NVGs but could not have the slides milled. The ATOM slides allowed the guns to be used with RDS while still being capable of being restored to their original configuration when it was time to turn them in.

This was before SOCOM started buying MOS Glocks.

Thanks for the last few replies. It’s making a ton of sense now.

So Unity made/makes products targeting military who are forbidden from permanently modifying their guns so they buy a whole slide to put on there temporarily and usually those SF units are flush with cash.

And I learned from this thread that direct mill results in a better product because there’s no plate involved, that makes a ton of sense. So if I buy an MOS I am compromising on having a gun that’s a little less optimal in exchange for more flexibility to change optics in the future. But since guns keep getting better over time, I’ll probably want to upgrade to a glock gen 6 by the time the next gen red dots come out so getting a gen 5 direct milled and then replacing with a gen 6 that’s direct milled for next gen optic, and eventually a gen 7 glock that’s direct milled for the even nexter gen optic.

That all makes sense and now I understand it. I think the counter point is if I get a Glock gen 5 MOS now, then in a few years if I want a new optic that comes out, it’s a lot easier and cheaper to just buy a new plate, and the new optic, zero it, and be good to go. And finding a direct fit holster is easier.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the last few replies. It’s making a ton of sense now.

So Unity made/makes products targeting military who are forbidden from permanently modifying their guns so they buy a whole slide to put on there temporarily and usually those SF units are flush with cash.

And I learned from this thread that direct mill results in a better product because there’s no plate involved, that makes a ton of sense. So if I buy an MOS I am compromising on having a gun that’s a little less optimal in exchange for more flexibility to change optics in the future. But since guns keep getting better over time, I’ll probably want to upgrade to a glock gen 6 by the time the next gen red dots come out so getting a gen 5 direct milled and then replacing with a gen 6 that’s direct milled for next gen optic, and eventually a gen 7 glock that’s direct milled for the even nexter gen optic.

That all makes sense and now I understand it. I think the counter point is if I get a Glock gen 5 MOS now, then in a few years if I want a new optic that comes out, it’s a lot easier and cheaper to just buy a new plate, and the new optic, zero it, and be good to go. And finding a direct fit holster is easier.
    Your general understanding re the future proofing advantages of a modular system is correct. Direct mill is great if done right and even good shops sometimes have issues- see GJMs recent issues in the M&P CORE thread. With the MOS you pretty much know what you are getting.

Re: Unity they make a bunch of different stuff for the military to fulfill small requirements. The ATOM slide was just one of many requirements. At that time the only option for RDS on pistols was direct milling (which is good if done well) and dovetail mounts which had issues. None of the current aftermarket optics cut slides were available nor was Glock’s MOS.

None of the aftermarket optics cut slides available to day were available then. ATOM basically created that market.

And something not really the topic of this thread, but you might not like it. It can be a bit of a transition and is not exactly automatic, I am less than two months in and just now comfortable making plans to expand on the idea. If you buy an MOS gun and hate it, you have a readily marketable Glock, or you can just reinstall the block off plate and have another Glock.

User Tag List