Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does junk like this call to me?

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Why firearms call us has to do with memories as you shared. First generation Camaros call me, no matter what condition. It brings back good memories, and with me, I was still in high school so buying a car of any kind was out of the question.
    It's the 98 Mauser for me.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The seller has a bunch of them on gunbroker at various prices and conditions.

Here's one from another seller that appears to be in nice condition and is at $475 with no bids, about 2 days to go: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894055637
    That one would do. I had one for a while that had all of those features (including orange Testors on the front sight serrations) with a better condition finish, and would not hate having another. Just moved on to all S&W revolvers, all the time, and while I really liked my DS and can recommend them, I do not intend to hunt a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The seller has a bunch of them on gunbroker at various prices and conditions.

Here's one from another seller that appears to be in nice condition and is at $475 with no bids, about 2 days to go: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894055637
    Thats on my watch list

Idk why though. Im really not buying anything right now except components and I need to place an order at North American Rescue

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    https://blackmarketarms.com/firearms...8221-bbl-blue5

Ive had a detective special before. Carried it in a galco horsehide aiwb about 15 years ago when i couldn't carry my 1911.

Ive wanted to replace it for a long time.

What are the odds that these rust buckets have decent actions?
    Your not the only one...I ran across this one on GB. I have no idea why but it called to me. Its an early 150- prefix Security Six in .357.

I took a chance and probably put too much money down on it, but I got lucky. It looks like its been through hell, but the mechanics are solid. No pitting or rust in the chambers, and the barrel only has a hint of frost near the muzzle. Otherwise it locks up tight and the trigger is smooth but a little on the heavy side. I was going to make it a restoration project but I think I'll clean it up, replace the FO sight with a Big Dot (cuz, old man eyes...) and maybe a lighter hammer spring to lower the trigger pull a little. Perfect truck/woods bumming gun! I wish I new this revo's story because it obviously has seen some stuff, but the owner took care of the stuff that mattered based on the bore, cylinders, and guts.
    Name:  Security Six R Side.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  97.9 KBName:  Security Six L side.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  100.8 KB

Maybe we should start a support group...Hi my name is Ptero and I keep rescuing ugly guns...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Guns like that are what Parkerizing is for. It is dirt cheap to do. It makes the gun black and helps prevent further corrosion by holding oil on the surface in the porous "sponge" of the coating. Plus, it burnishes out to look cool.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 03-17-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Cool

yeah, that was the plan originally, but I am really liking the way it looks as is. There is just something about the patina...hoping I can add to the scars and keep the old girl working.

My opinion? No. It’s an old antiquated clock work system that isn’t suitable for modern revolver-ing. Old Colts are great for collecting but not for shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptero View Post
    Name:  Security Six R Side.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  97.9 KB
    ...Hi my name is Ptero and I keep rescuing ugly guns...
    That Service Six is so hot, I loaded a new browser on this Haiku machine to log in and post.

E: Like button doesn't work but javascript can bugger off, anyway.

Thanks! Its definitely has a mystic, like the homely girl that just has something about her that's kinda hot in her own way...

Quote Originally Posted by Ptero View Post
    Thanks! Its definitely has a mystic, like the homely girl that just has something about her that's kinda hot in her own way...
    For some reason well used guns remind me of Tolkien's description of Aragorn.

User Tag List