Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR70 anybody got one? Any cool tips?

AR70 anybody got one? Any cool tips?

Hey guys,

Just picked up an AR70 for the collection (don't ask how much I paid, classic Greg +Rum+gunbroker Friday night).

Any good tips? Honestly, I really am just going to look at it and maybe fire a few rounds just to say I did. Anything to look out for? Cool lore? I know this is an uncommon piece so maybe there isn't much known out there.

@rcbusmc24 has one. Congrats!

Congrats! Pics, please!

All of the 70s/80s assault rifle semi clones seem to really be taking off with collector interest. Parts for them are drying up, too...depending on what you got with it, you might want to snag another mag.

You doubtless have already seen this, but to save other folks a search:

Last mags I bought I got from DSarms. They are not too speedy IIRC. Nicest trigger of almost all prebans.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Name:  2A79DDD7-7B99-4DFE-B36F-478D997AF4D0.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  101.6 KB

Fanstatic little 80s time capsule. It seems like a Sig 550 with a really good trigger. The exterior is mint but the inside was a little dirty. I doubt the prior owner had any idea how to take it apart. So I broke it down and cleaned everything thoroughly. This weekend I will try and take pictures of everything and do a little phot essay.

I am getting a couple of 30 round mags refinished to match it. I also ordered a surplus ar70/90 bipod hoping it will fit.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    More jelly than a donut 🍩!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Name:  2A79DDD7-7B99-4DFE-B36F-478D997AF4D0.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  101.6 KB

Fanstatic little 80s time capsule. It seems like a Sig 550 with a really good trigger. The exterior is mint but the inside was a little dirty. I doubt the prior owner had any idea how to take it apart. So I broke it down and cleaned everything thoroughly. This weekend I will try and take pictures of everything and do a little phot essay.

I am getting a couple of 30 round mags refinished to match it. I also ordered a surplus ar70/90 bipod hoping it will fit.
    Surfing Gunbroker looking at the crazy prices all the retro stuff is going for and remembered this thread. One of many evil black rifles of the 70s/80s I wish I had.

Greg, have you gotten a chance to take this puppy out to the range? How'd that bipod work out?

Yes! The gun is much fun. It is basically a SIG 550 speedster. It has most of the 550 features but is lighter and sportier. I am working on a little YouTube video on it.

The bipod clamped on but was not a perfect fit. Would work in the field but not with my irreplaceable gun! Lol

Here it is with its Belgian cousin.

80s baby! by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Hanging with the grandkid...

IMG_6381 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Short shooting video ...
    https://youtu.be/wT7Qo5MiBxE
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 05-30-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Welp, the SC70 with a buy now price I saw on GB last night did not last long (sadly, I'm not the buyer). Seem to be a lot fewer AR-180s for sale over the past year, too.

@Greg Bell , that pic of the AR70 and the FNC is awesome. Look forward to more of your experience with it. Maybe we need a retro "AW" thread!

@Greg Bell , that pic of the AR70 and the FNC is awesome. Look forward to more of your experience with it. Maybe we need a retro "AW" thread!
    I am waiting on a stock for my 550 and I will have three EuroTrashaKalasha. I need a Valmet!

User Tag List