Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replicating the 135gr+P Speer GDHP for Practice and Sighting

Replicating the 135gr+P Speer GDHP for Practice and Sighting

I am sending off a Model 64 to Karl Sokol to have some work done.

The plan is to do the following:

Chopping a 4" barrel into a 3"

Re-crowning it to 11 degree

Cutting a NLM dovetail and installing a customer supplied Warren Tactical .175T x .115W front sight

U-Notch the rear sight

Now, you may or may not be aware that the front sight on most S&W HB K-Frame revolvers is .150T x .140W (or thereabout, come-on, its S&W we're talking about here). A 1.175 will cause the gun to shoot low. It might require some range time for Karl to get it sighted in, amongst any adjustment he might hav to do. I, as an ammo whore, completely failed to stock up on the 135gr+P Speer GDHP. I feel shame. That said, I have this press here, I have a decent supply of primers, powders, casings, and I have the ability to find bullets by using Google. So I am asking for some help to replicate the aforementioned load for use by Sokol, and future practice for myself.

BTW: If anyone wants to trade 1:1 some 135gr+P Speer GDHP 50 round boxes for some 147gr Federal HST 50 round boxes, holla at me.

Site Supporter
    If it were me, I'd chrono the Speer load and load this bullet to about that velocity. It should hit pretty close to the same POA. A downside would be if you wanted to practice speed loading with the practice load too. In that case, this bullet might work better. There is also a 125-grain RNFP out there but I wasn't able to find an example to link to.

I duplicate the Speer 135gr +P load using Montana Gold's 142gr FMJ & 231. Like most components, I haven't seen them in stock for over a year.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Hornady 140gr XTP should make the list, if we're pushing $0.20/bullet. I do like those Bayou $0.05/bullet options.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Hornady 140gr XTP should make the list, if we're pushing $0.20/bullet. I do like those Bayou $0.05/bullet options.
    Id love to find some more of those

Ive found that any 125 to 140 going 900-1000fps all hit pretty close

135gr Gold Dot

I've been very happy with the load that I settled on..loading in a 357 case: 7.2gr Unique, CCI500 ,135gr GoldDot. I don't have any chronograph numbers handy but it shoots well out of my 340PD. I actually like the accuracy better than the factory stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    I've been very happy with the load that I settled on..loading in a 357 case: 7.2gr Unique, CCI500 ,135gr GoldDot. I don't have any chronograph numbers handy but it shoots well out of my 340PD. I actually like the accuracy better than the factory stuff.
    9gr unique with a 130 gets around 1200fps in a 2.75" gun

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That looks pretty darn close to maximum, maybe a little over.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...3&cartridge=28
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Alliant's data shows 7.8 grains as max for the 135. 7.2 would still be pretty feisty out of a 340, though. They show 9.6 for the 125s.

User Tag List