Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a standardized set of knife safety rules similar to Cooper’s 4 rules?

1. Mind you don't cut yourself Mordecai.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I taught my kids "towards your buddy, not your body" makes them laugh and therefore remember.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I was thinking about this while putting a wave device on my Spyderco Civilian. I grew up doing scouting as a kid, and I’m old enough to remember some sort of “whittling award” that either cubs or webelos could earn; by the time I got to tenderfoot scout, I was well aware that a sharp knife is a safe knife; cut away from your body; the “blood circle;” no running with an open/unsheathed knife (although there was never a mention of doing aikido forward shoulder rolls with your open spyderco in reverse grip—a POI that I have experienced myself, with a surprising lack of bloodshed...).

Yet the question remains: has any org put together anything concise enough to pass on, that meets all the requirements?

A quick search reveals all sorts of lists—many of which are related to kitchen safety with cutlery—that are longer than a Tolstoy novel.

How about it sharps heads? What should a “4 rules” look like?
    That Scouting award is a Totin' Chip. Scouts have to have this card to use or be in possession of cutting tools while on Scouting functions.

User Tag List