Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Now that I live in a free state, first SBR and suppressor decisions

Site Supporter
    To add to the fingerprint discussion above, if you get your prints done at a SilencerShop kiosk, you can call them and pay something like $10 for them to mail you printed sets. I’ve used that to get cards for Form 1s and to send to another dealer I bought a suppressor from.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I need to get a trust set up first. There seems to be good feedback for https://nfalawyers.com/ - has anyone used them? I want to be sure the trust is capable of being moved, there is a chance I will end up in TX in a few years.

I’m going to hold of on a suppressor for now, and will instead do my Scorpion and an AR lower first.

Also, I’ve always been fascinated by SBSes. Is the juice worth the squeeze for four inches?
    A beretta 1301 is barely longer OAL than a 14” 870.

My trust is ready to go. So, I went out onto the ATF E-file site and immediately got down into the weeds - and I do this shit for a living.

Even with E-file prints always need to be mailed. Right? It looks like I can upload the 5320.23 and a passport quality photo with the E-file.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Yes, finger prints cards get sent with the cover letter that the ATF attaches to your Efile confirmation email. You have a fairly specific time period to get the prints and cover letter sent back, so make sure you have the cards before submitting the form.

Thanks, that makes sense. I’ll be hitting up the Silencer Shop kiosk and getting my prints from them - it’s well worth the $15.

Another question - on the 5320.23 I know we don’t need CLEO sign off anymore, but what agency and name/title do I use? My municipality or the county? And do I enter an actual name and title? I saw a FAQ that said use county, but nothing about the name/title issue.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    I used the NH Attorney General John Formella, mostly because my SilencerShop stamps used the AG. You can use your town/city Police Chief, your county Sheriff, the Colonel of the State Police, or the AG.

http://https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/who-may-qualify-certifying-official-atf-form-1-or-atf-form-4-making-or-transfer-nfa

Site Supporter
    Thanks, that makes sense. I’ll be hitting up the Silencer Shop kiosk and getting my prints from them - it’s well worth the $15.

Another question - on the 5320.23 I know we don’t need CLEO sign off anymore, but what agency and name/title do I use? My municipality or the county? And do I enter an actual name and title? I saw a FAQ that said use county, but nothing about the name/title issue.
    I don't think it matters. I did the Sheriff on my Form 1s. SilencerShop sends theirs to the State Prosecuting Attorney, Capitol Armory sends them to the director of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I used the NH Attorney General John Formella, mostly because my SilencerShop stamps used the AG. You can use your town/city Police Chief, your county Sheriff, the Colonel of the State Police, or the AG.

http://https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/who-may-qualify-certifying-official-atf-form-1-or-atf-form-4-making-or-transfer-nfa
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I don't think it matters. I did the Sheriff on my Form 1s. SilencerShop sends theirs to the State Prosecuting Attorney, Capitol Armory sends them to the director of the Texas Department of Public Safety.
    Thanks! I just got back from doing my prints at a kiosk, but Silencer Shop isn’t doing Form 1s right now. I’ll use my local PD.
    Ken

Another question - on the 5320.23 I know we don’t need CLEO sign off anymore, but what agency and name/title do I use?
    It literally says in the instructions "The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor." Any of those are acceptable. Pick one. If you luck out and get one that returns the forms to you saying "We don't know what to do with these" then send them all your forms in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    It literally says in the instructions "The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor." Any of those are acceptable. Pick one. If you luck out and get one that returns the forms to you saying "We don't know what to do with these" then send them all your forms in the future.
    Thanks. Trying not to be dense, but where are the instructions - on the paper version? I’m working with the E-file version, and it doesn’t have an instruction function that I’ve found.
    Ken

User Tag List