Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Now that I live in a free state, first SBR and suppressor decisions

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I would suggest not buying an integrally suppressed rifle as your first suppressor. An integral is a bit limiting since you're stuck with using it on that one gun. Get a normal thread-attached suppressor that you can use on multiple firearms, then later if you want an integral get that.
    This. Especially when considering a .22lr. .22 suppressors require more in-depth cleaning(and can be broken down for such), than sealed suppressors for rifles because less powder is burnt and leads to more fouling. Rifles tend to burn most of the powder and do not get as dirty. Almost to the point of being "self cleaning".

  2. #22
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TEXAS !
    Having been doing the NFA thing for over a decade in various forms as both individual and a trust:

    1) The NFA was intended to make NFA items outside the reach of most people, not to make sense. Applying logic to an illogical process is a form of insanity.,

    2) Legal terms mean what a statute defines them to mean in that context. Think of it as a foreign language. Applying common definitions to legal terms in a statutory context just makes your life harder.

    3) Silencer shop kiosks are the quickest and easiest way to do any Form 4 transaction. I will buy an NFA from. Silencer shop dealer over a non kiosk dealer even if it costs a little more. The only reason I can think of to buy from a non kiosk dealer is buying from a range that allowed use during the form 4 wait.

    4) Unless you live in an extremely remote area, having an LE agency or a business that does fingerprints for things like Immigration applications is very much with the $10 to $30 it costs to have it done professionally. If your self rolled fingerprints are not readable /classifiable you application will be delayed or rejected. Same with having the card filled out completely and correctly including signature, correct 2 letter codes etc.

  3. #23
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    TX
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If your self rolled fingerprints are not readable /classifiable you application will be delayed or rejected. Same with having the card filled out completely and correctly including signature, correct 2 letter codes etc.
    Spending an hour and $40 to get prints is dumb. Order the fingerprint cards from the ATF (they'll send them to you for free), and the cards will already be filled out with the correct codes for an NFA transfer. The only thing that needs to be filled out is the fingerprintee's name and other personal info. If you've ever had your fingerprints taken, and paid attention, then you'll know how to take them properly. There's no reason not to do it yourself with a $10 reusable fingerprint ink pad from Amazon.

  4. #24
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TEXAS !
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Spending an hour and $40 to get prints is dumb. Order the fingerprint cards from the ATF (they'll send them to you for free), and the cards will already be filled out with the correct codes for an NFA transfer. The only thing that needs to be filled out is the fingerprintee's name and other personal info. If you've ever had your fingerprints taken, and paid attention, then you'll know how to take them properly. There's no reason not to do it yourself with a $10 reusable fingerprint ink pad from Amazon.
    Iím not just talking about the ORI or originating agency code for ATF. They can kick back cards for incorrect race, hair color eye color etc, cards not signed etc, but the big one is prints that are smudged, or are not rolled so as to include the entire classifiable area.

    FBI does the fingerprint checks vs CJIS holdings for ATF.

    If the the prints are not classifiable or not filled out properly they can and will be rejected. At which point ATF will reject your stamp application.

    Wasting 6 months and $200 to save $20 and an hour getting prints rolled properly is dumb.

    I mean maybe Iíve been fingerprinting people and submitting prints to CJIS for 25 years as part of my job or maybe Iím a 14 year old girl in momís basement making all this up. Itís the internet my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    This. Especially when considering a .22lr. .22 suppressors require more in-depth cleaning(and can be broken down for such), than sealed suppressors for rifles because less powder is burnt and leads to more fouling. Rifles tend to burn most of the powder and do not get as dirty. Almost to the point of being "self cleaning".
    Rifle cans are certainly not "self cleaning". You can easily get large amount of carbon in them that add weight and degrade performance; I've had my SOCOM556-RC grown 3 or 4 oz heavier than their factory weight due to this issue before, and clearing that carbon out can be a chore.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Rifle cans are certainly not "self cleaning". You can easily get large amount of carbon in them that add weight and degrade performance; I've had my SOCOM556-RC grown 3 or 4 oz heavier than their factory weight due to this issue before, and clearing that carbon out can be a chore.
    I absolutely understand your point and I agree with you. I was not trying to state that they didn't require cleaning, only comparing rifle suppressors to .22 suppressors, since that was what the OP was looking at(and integral suppressors at that). I suppose I could have placed quotation marks around the entire sentence rather than just "self cleaning", but I thought my point was clear enough.

  7. #27
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    TX
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    but the big one is prints that are smudged, or are not rolled so as to include the entire classifiable area.
    So check the prints and make sure they're not smudged before mailing in the cards. Like I said in my previous post, if someone has had their prints taken before by someone else, and they paid attention to the process, then they'll know how to properly roll their fingers and get their whole fingerprint on the card. If they just get ink in their fingers and make some black blobs on the card, then yeah it won't work.

  8. #28
    Site Supporter Giving Back's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the back of beyond
    I suggest using an SOT like Hansohn Brothers......... let them worry about that bullshit for you.

    I donít even leave my house to buy, transfer, or take possession of suppressors anymore. They just magically appear in the mail after hitting the DocuSign buttons a few times. And we have a couple of suppressors now......
    Name:  D0E0E6EA-6644-484E-B8BD-426943CC7E3F.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  74.4 KB
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

  9. #29
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The 603
    Iím going to hold off on the suppressor for the moment and concentrate on SBRing an AR lower with my 12.5Ē upper. I need to be absolutely sure the lower I pick is in decent shape first. A local store appears to do the engraving for not a lot of money. After that, it will probably be the Scorpion Kís turn.
    Ken

    BBI: ...Ēyou better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weirdĒ...
    revchuck38: ...Ēmo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.Ē

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •