Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that I live in a free state, first SBR and suppressor decisions

Do you need a gun smith to pop out two pins and remove an upper from an AR15?

Absolutely not. It can be done in like 10 seconds.

It can be replaced in 10 seconds as well by a well trained monkey.

Yet that process (or procedure) is considered 'manufacturing' by the NFA. It however only applies if you are adding a shorter upper than 16".

Whether or not you purchased that upper and lower is irrelevant. You are the one converting it to fall under the NFA.

If you are the one that did the modification then you do a Form 1.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    My apologies, as a complete newbie on this subject I’m not sure what you are getting at....

a) which one is which?

b) does it really mean anything to most people? Wouldn’t I be buying instead of making?
    And since your tag line says you are in So Cal no matter what you will be denied by the ATF so save yourself some hassle and move to another state if you want to do any NFA item. The ATF abides by state rules as well. So even if it's perfectly legal to do if a bunch of nimwits in Sacramento say no the ATF will not issue you a tax stamp as long as you reside in their state.

I was joking with a friend the other day about the NFA.

If the airlines industry rules were written by the same people at the same time we would currently have the following rules governing all airline travel:

• The airplane must be constructed out of a sturdy material such as hickory or oak.
    • To ensure proper safety all wings must be covered with leather. Lesser materials such as fabric are expressly forbidden.
    • You cannot fly more than 2,500 feet from ground level.
    • The maximum speed can not exceed more than 90 miles an hour.
    • All passengers must wear an approved parachute during the duration of all flights.
    • If it's rainy or foggy you are forbidden from flying

It's about the same thing.

Site Supporter
    Silencer Shop has a decent explanation of the silencer buying process. Using one of their affiliated dealers with a kiosk makes the process fairly easy. At least in recent months, getting a department to roll prints has been difficult, so the Silencer Shop kiosk is handy for this. You can roll your own prints, but practice and get extra cards.

https://www.silencershop.com/how-to-buy-a-silencer

There are a few kiosks in the area.

I ordered fingerprint cards from the ATF webpage. They were free and got here in a couple of days. The return address on the envelop has REDSKIN as the street address.... THAT is OFFENSIVE and the ATF must be canceled!

Hammertime
    Silencershop has been very damaging to my cashflow situation this past year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    And since your tag line says you are in So Cal no matter what you will be denied by the ATF so save yourself some hassle and move to another state if you want to do any NFA item. The ATF abides by state rules as well. So even if it's perfectly legal to do if a bunch of nimwits in Sacramento say no the ATF will not issue you a tax stamp as long as you reside in their state.
    In process!
    I already own my new house in Nevada; just have some golden handcuffs I need to let loosen a little bit at work before it makes sense to retire in the first half of next year. That’s why I’m suddenly interested; in preparation for the move.

Great info here - thanks @alamo5000 and others. I need to get crackin' on those Form 1's. The only thing that I can add is that my LGS with a SilencerShop (SS) kiosk was able to receive a silencer that I ordered from Capital, upload it into their inventory and connect it to my SS account. Once that happened, I was able to buy the stamp and a Single Shot Trust on SS just as if I had bought it from them. I paid a few extra bucks on the transfer to make it worthwhile to the LGS, but it worked great and I was able to secure the item at a time when it wasn't available on the SS website. FWIW, my most recent arrival was purchased on 7-30 and I got a call from the LGS on 3-1.

I was at a local store today that had a large selection of suppressors, SBRs and SBSes. I need to go back and pick their brains, but what really jumped out were a few integrally suppressed Ruger .22 rifles - a 10/22 and pair of 77/22s. Now I’m thinking about a 10/22 with a RDS...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I was at a local store today that had a large selection of suppressors, SBRs and SBSes. I need to go back and pick their brains, but what really jumped out were a few integrally suppressed Ruger .22 rifles - a 10/22 and pair of 77/22s. Now I’m thinking about a 10/22 with a RDS...
    I would suggest not buying an integrally suppressed rifle as your first suppressor. An integral is a bit limiting since you're stuck with using it on that one gun. Get a normal thread-attached suppressor that you can use on multiple firearms, then later if you want an integral get that.

User Tag List