Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 414: IDPA 5x5 Classifier (Abbreviated Method)

Week 414: IDPA 5x5 Classifier (Abbreviated Method)

Week 414: IDPA 5x5 Classifier (Abbreviated Method)

Results may be posted until April 5th, 2021.

Designed by: Bill Wilson
    Range: 10 yards
    Target: IDPA - include 4" circle in the head box
    Start Position: Hands at sides, facing the target
    Rounds Fired: 25

This test was previously posted in the DotW as "5x5 Skills Test". It is now designated as an Abbreviated Classification method in IDPA.

Equipment: Service pistol of 9mm caliber or larger, concealed carry suitable holster and ammunition with a power factor of 125,000 or more – note that concealment is not required.

Purpose: Create a measurable quick to run and low round count skill drill that tests rapid fire pistol control.

Scoring: IDPA Limited Vickers – note that no extra shots or make up shots are allowed – your score is your time plus penalties – add one second penalty time for each point down on target – i.e. a shot in the -1 zone adds 1 second to your time, a shot in the -3 zone adds 3 seconds to your time, and a miss adds 5 seconds to your time.

Procedure:

String 1: Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle

String 2: Draw and fire 5 shots strong hand only

String 3: Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle, reload from slidelock and fire 5 more shots freestyle

String 4: Draw and fire 4 shots to the body and 1 shot to the head freestyle

Skill rankings for Enhanced Service Pistol division in IDPA:

Master: 20 seconds or less
    Expert: 25 seconds or less
    Sharpshooter: 32 seconds or less
    Marksman: 41 seconds or less
    Novice: Over 41 seconds

(Enhanced Service Pistol division will allow for many of the handguns shot by PF members, and has nice round-number cutoffs. You can review the full breakdowns for other guns/divisions here: http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules )

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Time for each string
    Total raw time
    Total points down
    Total score (raw time + one second for each point down)
    IDPA Classification reached (unofficial)
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Actually, the classifier times are here.

Shadow 2 with SRO from AIWB
    18.38s. Raw 15.38s with three points down (I’m used to USPSA A zone so was a little high on the IDPA circle).
    Just squeaked in under the MA for CO.

Site Supporter
    JCN
    WAG-I suspect your "index draw" at 10 yrds is dialed in on an A zone as well. Ergo you hit a bit high on an IDPA circle. Sounds spot on to me based on watching a few old school, regional/national class IPSC guys shoot IDPA on a whim a few times.

I would bet a 9.99 taco plate lunch that if you took an extra .33 (max) of a second on those shots where you were a bit high, you would drop them right in and be down zero and a net 2ish seconds faster.

With that data point, do you think you would shoot MA with a similarly sized irons only gun? I suspect you would.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    JCN
    WAG-I suspect your "index draw" at 10 yrds is dialed in on an A zone as well. Ergo you hit a bit high on an IDPA circle. Sounds spot on to me based on watching a few old school, regional/national class IPSC guys shoot IDPA on a whim a few times.

I would bet a 9.99 taco plate lunch that if you took an extra .33 (max) of a second on those shots where you were a bit high, you would drop them right in and be down zero and a net 2ish seconds faster.

With that data point, do you think you would shoot MA with a similarly sized irons only gun? I suspect you would.
    It was at the dark end of an indoor range and I couldn't see any of the scoring zones.

I hit where I wanted to hit, I just didn't know where the -0 circle was located on the silhouette.

I have the same issue with the IPSC classic targets. I haven't ingrained where the A-zone is located on the context of the outside geometry.

I could have done it (probably) in the same raw time and been down zero if I had a paper target with black scoring ring outlines or if I were shooting to a standalone 8" visible circle.

I think the MA level for irons lets you have a little more time than for CO. That being said, I dunno if I could do it with irons cold without practice as I'm a much better dot shooter that I just embraced it and pretty much gave up regular iron shooting.

I think I could probably do it with irons with some practice, but not cold on demand.

This is my first Drill of the Week submission; perhaps aided by the fact that I classified yesterday.

With a 3" Model 65 from a Ready Tactical holster and a Comp-III speedloader, I shot a 23.46 (one point down) for an EX ranking in revolver. That was with one point down meaning that I have to shave 2.31 off raw to make the jump to MA. Quite frankly, I don't know where I will find that 2.31.

With a CZ P10C topped with an SRO from a Safariland GLS, I shot a 19.98 (one point down) for an EX ranking in CO. I'm still very much a newbie with RDOs; so, I'm pleased with that. I've got an RDO class coming up in May; so, with some additional dry work and that class, I'm confident I can get there. It's just a .23 raw difference.

I don't have the string times. I do know that my revolver reload was a 4.05 or so with a slight bobble.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Stock Glock 17 Gen.4
    S&B factory ammo
    Concealed carry, under a T-shirt
    IWB kydex holster

Score: 17.83+1.00 = 18.83 total time

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rs90Q9oO2w

Quote Originally Posted by zlatnia_bg View Post
    Stock Glock 17 Gen.4
    S&B factory ammo
    Concealed carry, under a T-shirt
    IWB kydex holster

Score: 17.83+1.00 = 18.83 total time

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rs90Q9oO2w
    That video says from 2 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That video says from 2 years ago?
    Yes, once I started consistently making it under 20 seconds – I moved on. Anyways, if sharing an old video on the topic is a problem, I apologize.

No need to apologize! Good shooting!

User Tag List