Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NATO Standardizes FN's 5.7x28mm Caliber

NATO Standardizes FN's 5.7x28mm Caliber

Didn't see this posted elsewhere.

https://www.theoutdoorwire.com/relea..._K8O5g9BK3-nWc

"In a continuous effort to promote interchangeability of all small caliber ammunition used by allied armed forces, NATO has recently finalized the standardization process of the FN®-designed 5.7x28mm caliber by approving the standardization agreement (STANAG) 4509."
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Didn't see this posted elsewhere.

https://www.theoutdoorwire.com/relea..._K8O5g9BK3-nWc

"In a continuous effort to promote interchangeability of all small caliber ammunition used by allied armed forces, NATO has recently finalized the standardization process of the FN®-designed 5.7x28mm caliber by approving the standardization agreement (STANAG) 4509."
    Given the attention that seems to follow NATO acceptance of any caliber/cartridge, it will be interesting to see what evolves in terms of a program for the improvement of the 5.7x28mm NATO.

My own thoughts as to how successful such a program might be is that R&D for such a diminuitive caliber will have to be undertaken carefully 'cause physics is a demanding bitch and there is precious little projectile mass to manipulate for maximum terminal effect.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I'm glad to hear that NATO finally has an adequate small game cartridge.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Can't wait to see the new floating, take-down survival rifles for small game harvesting, finally with reliable CF ammo. All the power of .22 WMR at four times the price.

Seriously, even the PD shooters prefer 22 Hornet and K-Hornet due to the rimmed cartridge going more cycles before primer pockets loosen.

Also seriously, this actually sucks because it buys next to nothing for military purposes, but for those countries where civilian ownership of military rounds is prohibited, it probably just banned some peoples' personally-owned guns. Those Italian and Spanish ground squirrel enthusiasts will have to buy new barrels and neck them down to .20 cal. Or something.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I didn't realize NATO had to defend against prairie dogs.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Can't wait to see the new floating, take-down survival rifles for small game harvesting, finally with reliable CF ammo. All the power of .22 WMR at four times the price.
    I'm holding out for a controlled-round feed bolt gun with express sights.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

prices on ammo may come down? #upside ?

I think Ruger has a model 57 that uses that cartridge. I wonder if this will replace the 9mm as the NATO pistol cartridge. Did the Army buy a new pistol too soon?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'm holding out for a controlled-round feed bolt gun with express sights.

Okie John
    And don't forget depleted uranium projectiles for anti-armor applications. 😂🤣😂🤣
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    prices on ammo may come down? #upside ?
    Possibly so...maybe in our lifetime? (if this bubble ever pops)

I've thought about getting a 5.7 pistol as a "fun gun" for the range and field, but with the available pistols being kind of "uninspiring" and the present cost of ammunition, I am not sure I'll ever get one.

An hour on the range with a rental Ruger 5.7 was disappointing with a long, creepy, gritty trigger pull that was, at best, inconsistent. Oh, well...now I don't have try and acquire an adequate supply of another caliber at these prices, so there's that.

User Tag List