Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB now legal in all divisions?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I don’t think someone behaving badly necessarily requires invoking cancel culture.
    I agree. However, there is a distinction between a cancel culture mob descending on someone because of hearsay about their behavior in their private life and firing an employee because they are bad at their job. Foley is bad at his job because he abuses his position as USPSA President, threatens members, alienates industry partners, and is a mentally unstable asshole. He should be fired for those well-documented reasons.

That's not cancel culture; it's simply good management. However, few members of the USPSA Board are good at their jobs either.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I would favor Foley getting a mandatory training course on communication and HR/PR sensitivity.

But calling for pitchforks and torches seems counterproductive and a tactic that hasn’t shown to be all that effective in the long term.
    I think that a lot of people are long-term frustrated with him. He has somehow let the fact that Ben Stoeger has gotten under his skin affect the way he treats people who are not Ben Stoeger. Any one incident/outburst/whatever might be forgiven, but when it's not a one-off thing but rather a pattern of behavior, I don't think it's wrong to suggest that he's not the appropriate person to be leading the organization. I'm not much for torches and pitchforks in general, but next time I get a ballot, I definitely will not be voting for Mr. Foley.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree. However, there is a distinction between a cancel culture mob descending on someone because of hearsay about their behavior in their private life and firing an employee because they are bad at their job. Foley is bad at his job because he abuses his position as USPSA President, threatens members, alienates industry partners, and is a mentally unstable asshole. He should be fired for those well-documented reasons.

That's not cancel culture; it's simply good management. However, few members of the USPSA Board are good at their jobs either.
    But then we get into the position of “who will put the bell on the cat.”

I agree on all those asshole positions.

When we can’t find a freaking presidential candidate that isn’t an asshole in 2016 for either party...

I’m not sure how realistic finding a non-asshole is for USPSA.

Most non-assholes don’t want the kind of job that only assholes want.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I think that a lot of people are long-term frustrated with him. He has somehow let the fact that Ben Stoeger has gotten under his skin affect the way he treats people who are not Ben Stoeger. Any one incident/outburst/whatever might be forgiven, but when it's not a one-off thing but rather a pattern of behavior, I don't think it's wrong to suggest that he's not the appropriate person to be leading the organization. I'm not much for torches and pitchforks in general, but next time I get a ballot, I definitely will not be voting for Mr. Foley.
    I can’t say who I’ll vote for without seeing who the other candidates are.

See 2016 presidential election of all asshole choices.

Actually, I think it's hard to find deranged narcissistic assholes in USPSA. Most of the folks I've met in the sport are really nice people. If the Board fires Foley and makes it clear that professional conduct is a job requirement, I don't expect any difficulty finding plenty of candidates.

But then we get into the position of “who will put the bell on the cat.”

I agree on all those asshole positions.

When we can’t find a freaking presidential candidate that isn’t an asshole in 2016 for either party...

I’m not sure how realistic finding a non-asshole is for USPSA.

Most non-assholes don’t want the kind of job that only assholes want.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Foley definitely has an asshole insecurity issue.

Offer him rehab and if he declines, fire him.

If he rehabs and is kinder and gentler, great.

If he doesn’t and there’s a better candidate, elect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Actually, I think it's hard to find deranged narcissistic assholes in USPSA. Most of the folks I've met in the sport are really nice people. If the Board fires Foley and makes it clear that professional conduct is a job requirement, I don't expect any difficulty finding plenty of candidates.
    Most of the people in the sport wouldn’t want to be president.

You said the Board isn’t good at their jobs.

Why is that? There’s a trend of people wanting to be in positions of power and a certain personality type.

Not always, but what is making the Board not good at their job?

If the board sucks and the president sucks, but the sport is awesome...

If you change the board and the president, will the sport still be awesome?

Or will it change for the worse? Dunno.

Why don’t people popularize American IPSC instead as a separate sport with European sensibility?

Did the past presidents in the sport have similar issues as this one? It seems like @JCN is implying that they're all the same, but if there haven't been major issues until this one then it would be an anomaly, at least in my mind.

On the other hand if there have always been issues with the reigning president, then the argument of more of the same could hold water. I've never been deep enough when i was a member/ro to pay attention above the club level, so i honestly don't know. And maybe that's part of the issue.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Did the past presidents in the sport have similar issues as this one? It seems like @JCN is implying that they're all the same, but if there haven't been major issues until this one then it would be an anomaly, at least in my mind.

On the other hand if there have always been issues with the reigning president, then the argument of more of the same could hold water. I've never been deep enough when i was a member/ro to pay attention above the club level, so i honestly don't know. And maybe that's part of the issue.
    I think a lot of the same issues are more easily disseminated and publicized in the modern era of electronic communication, so not hearing about issues isn’t the same thing as them not happening.

User Tag List