Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB now legal in all divisions?

Any thoughts on ideal magnet placement? How about standalone VS attached to an existing mag pouch?

My initial thought was to just get a standalone magnet and put it at the front of my belt. At my last match I saw someone do this and actually reach to their empty mag pouch on a reload. One of the open shooters opined that it's better to put the magnet on the front of your first mag pouch as that's where you're used to reaching.

The other complication is that my pouches are bullets out so a magnet attached to the front of a pouch will probably put the mag quite far out from my body and it won't be placed quite where my hand normally goes.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 03-25-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    Any thoughts on ideal magnet placement? How about standalone VS attached to an existing mag
    I put my flat magnet at 11:00. For those rare mag pickup stages, I’m going to do detailed visualization of mag placement and retrieval. From the little bit of dry practice I’ve done so far, bullets out works best for the magnet-retained mags (it holds 2), even though I run bullets forward for my regular mags.

I’m satisfied with a separate flat magnet, so I’m not going to try a magnet equipped mag carrier.

Hopefully MDs won’t go nuts with mag pickup stages...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I put my flat magnet at 11:00. For those rare mag pickup stages, I’m going to do detailed visualization of mag placement and retrieval. From the little bit of dry practice I’ve done so far, bullets out works best for the magnet-retained mags (it holds 2), even though I run bullets forward for my regular mags.

I’m satisfied with a separate flat magnet, so I’m not going to try a magnet equipped mag carrier.

Hopefully MDs won’t go nuts with mag pickup stages...
    I think that is probably the approach I will take as well. The guy designing our stages is somewhat of a mag pickup maniac or else I wouldn't even bother. I think the last three matches I've shot all had at least one mags-on-barrels stage. It mostly works out so that there's a good place to put a mag where I'd want to reload, but not having a magnet cost me a little bit at the last match.

With regard to the magnet pouch deal (and this question is symptomatic of my lack of experience), why do I want to add a magnet to my belt? I have had one match were I had to start with a mag on the barrel, but I disremember the details.

Can somebody explain in simple, horsey-ducky words, how it can help me to be able to quickly grab a mag and click it to my belt?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    With regard to the magnet pouch deal (and this question is symptomatic of my lack of experience), why do I want to add a magnet to my belt? I have had one match were I had to start with a mag on the barrel, but I disremember the details.

Can somebody explain in simple, horsey-ducky words, how it can help me to be able to quickly grab a mag and click it to my belt?
    This is why I'm annoyed by the rule change. Now, to be competitive in Production and CO, you have to add a magnet to your belt. Otherwise, you will be a few seconds slower because you'll have to pick up and stuff the mags in your pouches on mag pickup stages.

Mag pickup stages should be rare, but some MDs like them. Good luck finding a belt-mounted magnet now. They are pretty much sold out nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Every once in a while there will be stages that have round counts that require more than 1 mag, but you start in one spot with no mags on your belt. So you'll have to stow however many mags you need for reloads in your pouches before leaving the starting position. It is a lot faster to slap a mag on the magnet VS having to fiddle around with stuffing them into the pouches.

If you shoot singlestack you can try clenching your reload between your teeth like a pirate. Someone got bumped to open last year at SS Nats for doing that but with the changes to mag placement rules it's legal again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Tim Herron, Kenny Platt, Eric Steiner give their takes starting at 19:33.

https://directory.libsyn.com/episode...od/id/18343271
    That podcast was like going back in a time machine to a 2010 Stoeger podcast, complete with homophobic slurs and ageist jokes. I couldn’t take it. Can you give me the TLDR?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good luck finding a belt-mounted magnet now. They are pretty much sold out nationwide.
    Come on man, $10 at Home Depot and 10 min of work to put a flat magnet on the front. It’s not rocket surgery.

Actually, just Amazoning a Blade tech mount for $10 and a screw in the center of a magnet should do it.

5 pack of the same magnets on the belt for $15.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neodymium-F....c101096.m3021

Name:  68A48A5A-32D3-40C1-9317-92760D667369.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  30.1 KB

Add a tek lok:
    Name:  1D6EA75E-C473-4FD5-8F2D-2380705EC5A9.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  19.5 KB
    Last edited by JCN; 03-25-2021 at 11:58 AM.

@Clusterfrack
    @GJM

I took a Dremel and cut half the lip off the magnetic magazine pouches.

It can now be used as a “slap on” magnet like a flat magnet... but adds an element of reproducible retention angle.

Name:  365955E1-735A-431A-9386-170E162DBACD.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  55.7 KB

As an added bonus it now fits the TSO magazines it didn’t before.

User Tag List