Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB now legal in all divisions?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think from the competitor standpoint, I think some people don't like change regardless of what it is. The more high strung the competitor, the more they dislike change
    This seems to be a fair assessment and pretty true across multiple sports and hobbies.

-When they changed the weigh-in times and IV rehydration rules in the UFC it caused a temporary uproar in multiple major camps.
    -When they changed the jump height by a few inches in flyball whole teams completely reconfigured all of their dog relays.
    -Minor changes in leg entanglement rules send the competitive BJJ world into a near annual rules bickering uproar.
    -I think even autocross had a hubbub over R compound tires in various classes if I'm remembering my old SCCA drama correctly.

To some degree, these were all also rapidly growing small niche sports finding their way as they evolve over time into something more established. It would make sense at the end of the day that USPSA is going through similar growing pains as it finds its way.

I imagine USPSA will go through the same convulsions of expansion and growing pains to the same positive and negative fanfare that all the others did/do/will as it similarly evolves closer to its eventual final form. :shrug

Does anyone see a problem with an right-handed AIWB shooter quickly turning and moving left while drawing his gun? Wouldn't it be very easy, in this example, to break the 180? (or a lefty going the other way)

TLDR (for the thread)

I love the holster and mag pouch rule changes, and I have no plans to shoot from AIWB. One year at Area 8 match, I was given the make ready command, started making ready, and the RO called, "STOP." I unload show clear, reholster, and he starts poking me in the side trying to find my hip bones. In his opinion, my mag pouches were too far forward, even though my hip bone could be felt in front of them. Despite having shot nationals and had my equipment inspected there and at multiple sectionals leading up to that match, he made me go to the safe area and "fix" my gear. I had a terrible run on that stage, and I still partially blame it on losing my mental focus right before it. I am glad that something so arbitrary as where gear is on my belt is no longer going to derail a stage or match for me anymore.

The weapon light rule is a move in the wrong direction in my opinion. I get what they are trying to do, but they essentially just created an arms race out of flashlights. The rules are also written in a very vague and unclear manner, where someone could potentially machine a tungsten frame weight to fit on the rail and put a tiny LED bulb in it and call it a flashlight. I don't think they should have added this rule at all, but if they had to do it, they should have created a flashlight "production list" with approved/authorized lights on it, possibly with approved/authorized weight limits for the lights so people can't fill them up with lead and tungsten. FWIW, I've been running a TLR1 body stuffed with lead on my USPSA limited gun since 2014.

That said, between a TLR-1, a tungsten guide rod, and a new heavy grip plug that I'm collaborating on, I'm going to be running a 40 oz Glock in production at nationals this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    TLDR (for the thread)

I love the holster and mag pouch rule changes, and I have no plans to shoot from AIWB. One year at Area 8 match, I was given the make ready command, started making ready, and the RO called, "STOP." I unload show clear, reholster, and he starts poking me in the side trying to find my hip bones. In his opinion, my mag pouches were too far forward, even though my hip bone could be felt in front of them. Despite having shot nationals and had my equipment inspected there and at multiple sectionals leading up to that match, he made me go to the safe area and "fix" my gear. I had a terrible run on that stage, and I still partially blame it on losing my mental focus right before it. I am glad that something so arbitrary as where gear is on my belt is no longer going to derail a stage or match for me anymore.

The weapon light rule is a move in the wrong direction in my opinion. I get what they are trying to do, but they essentially just created an arms race out of flashlights. The rules are also written in a very vague and unclear manner, where someone could potentially machine a tungsten frame weight to fit on the rail and put a tiny LED bulb in it and call it a flashlight. I don't think they should have added this rule at all, but if they had to do it, they should have created a flashlight "production list" with approved/authorized lights on it, possibly with approved/authorized weight limits for the lights so people can't fill them up with lead and tungsten. FWIW, I've been running a TLR1 body stuffed with lead on my USPSA limited gun since 2014.

That said, between a TLR-1, a tungsten guide rod, and a new heavy grip plug that I'm collaborating on, I'm going to be running a 40 oz Glock in production at nationals this year.
    What holster will be using? My Floodlight is not optimal, and I am not sure about the resistance from more pointy surfaces on the light. I know the draw doesn’t matter much in USPSA, but I hate to give up much there.

My wife thought the light helped on an X5, but doesn’t plan to use one with a Tungsten infused Legion lower.

Name:  74A4C103-9712-4704-8215-1AE8274A34AE.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  92.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stony Lane View Post
    Does anyone see a problem with an right-handed AIWB shooter quickly turning and moving left while drawing his gun? Wouldn't it be very easy, in this example, to break the 180? (or a lefty going the other way)
    Then they should draw before they turn.

I might catch some heat from the exact by the book rules guys on this, but at a local match if you’re ROing a new shooter remind them to draw and then turn before “shooter are you ready”

I still remember the RO telling me “Remember TURN then draw” before my first start facing uprange stage way back when, and a couple of times afterwards until they knew I was good to go.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Regardless of holster position, there are numerous 180 traps interspersed amongst stages, and navigating them while drawing, reloading and moving is just part of the game.

Here is a post from Mason Lane on Facebook. He's our current National champion in Limited. Just an example.

We complain because we care enough to practice daily.
    If you love or even like @theuspsa you should be asking:
    A. If there is an actual vision the rules are headed for, what is it? Why aren’t you as a member being consulted on it? Why do we only hear about these things after they’re set in stone? And

B. Are we satisfied with half baked major rule changes that aren’t part of a long term vision?
    #uspsa #wml #magnets

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Here is a post from Mason Lane on Facebook. He's our current National champion in Limited. Just an example.

We complain because we care enough to practice daily.
    If you love or even like @theuspsa you should be asking:
    A. If there is an actual vision the rules are headed for, what is it? Why aren’t you as a member being consulted on it? Why do we only hear about these things after they’re set in stone? And

B. Are we satisfied with half baked major rule changes that aren’t part of a long term vision?
    #uspsa #wml #magnets
    A few thoughts.

1) Mason Lane beat beat me at Nationals one year, shooting with just one hand.

2) given that he is Limited Nats champ, why would he give a hoot about these changes, since he can run his holster and mag pouches wherever he wants in Limited, and use a flashlight. Now he can have the same rules in other divisions

I see these changes reducing equipment variations between divisions, and making it more about the pure skill which he alludes to.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few thoughts.

1) Mason Lane beat beat me at Nationals one year, shooting with just one hand.

2) given that he is Limited Nats champ, why would he give a hoot about these changes, since he can run his holster and mag pouches wherever he wants in Limited, and use a flashlight. Now he can have the same rules in other divisions

I see these changes reducing equipment variations between divisions, and making it more about the pure skill which he alludes to.
    They recorded the episode with Ben berry podcast about it . No holding anything back...
    As I said before, development of this sport should include coordination with IPSC for example. The rule integrity should be one of the major priorities. It's not clear that there's any strategy and long term vision right now considering this and last rule changes.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    They recorded the episode with Ben berry podcast about it . No holding anything back...
    As I said before, development of this sport should include coordination with IPSC for example. The rule integrity should be one of the major priorities. It's not clear that there's any strategy and long term vision right now considering this and last rule changes.
    Leaving aside these particular rules, I believe it is a valid request to hear a short, medium, and long term vision for where the rules are going, what is reasonable notice for comments, and how the members will participate in settling on that vision.

User Tag List