Page 36 of 70 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB now legal in all divisions?

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    This is probably true - but I do recall even hearing a LOT of top shooters on podcast talk about started with shooting IDPA. Just stating IDPA still has relevance even if some don't see it.
    How long ago did those shooters start?

These days when someone asks about USPSA, I say “you know that movie John Wick...”

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    How long ago did those shooters start?

These days when someone asks about USPSA, I say “you know that movie John Wick...”
    Touche - most I'd bet were 10+ yrs ago.

He he that's funny.

So, my training buddy and I were talking about new stuff (I was filling him in, he doesn't keep up with details). He's stoked about moving stuff on belt and already curious about trying a flashlight.

One thing he brought up - so can you use a race holster in all divisions now? Those can be adjusted to use most/any guns right?
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post

Overall, to me, it just feels a little bit like the product of USPSA has been cheapened a little more.
    But oh well, still gonna play.
    Yep. Here is a quote from some people on Brian Enos:

The sport is being watered down to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I think that's probably very region dependent regarding match availability, no? Locally very, very few USPSA shooters have even tried IDPA.
    I think this is true here in MN as well. As I've mentioned before in other threads, there's only one IDPA club that I know of anywhere near the Twin Cities, but you can shoot USPSA several nights/week at different clubs. Simply based on available options, I'm quite certain that most people in the area who are into action pistol shooting are shooting USPSA, and most of them have come directly there with no stops at IDPA along the way. I know I did.

I'm in favor of the relaxed gear position rules. It was always written like it was because of concealed carry, so if a lot of people don't carry behind the hip it makes sense not to require it.

It also was a huge PITA trying to enforce it and there wasn't that much incentive to strictly comply since the only penalty was to make people adjust their stuff.

The flashlight is annoying to me because I feel like it will essentially make a light required now.

I guess I can look forward to buying 1911's with rails and lights and holsters to fit them...and magnets...because all the cool kids AIWB'ing their weaponlight equipped 5 inch 1911s also utilize magnets for quick tac reloads or something.

It's hard to feel like recent rule changes are anything but sponsor driven cash grabs. Welcome to the 2022 Surefire production nationals with 6 low light stages...

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post

It's hard to feel like recent rule changes are anything but sponsor driven cash grabs. Welcome to the 2022 Surefire production nationals with 6 low light stages...
    Just to be devil's advocate on this point... bigger name sponsors like that scenario can allow a niche sport to make huge steps forward and leads to more sponsored athletes making meaningful money. Which in turn tends to make the level of the top competitors jump as they compete for those dollars.

A 2022 Surefire nationals could be a strong argument in favor of rules like this as much as against it.

Prolific contingency sponsors by gear manufacturers could end up being an interim step to that the same way a lot of tire manufacturers do in autocross. Big money sponsors have potential for a lot of corrupting of the purity of a sport but also offer huge upsides for talent growth when there's that kind of incentive to break new performance barriers.

I'm curious to see what USPSA develops into in the next 5 years. If it's just "big tent" shooting, or starting to bring out some next level performances from a growing pool of pros and semi-pros.

I'm also a little curious if @Archer1440 sees a growing parallel to the gear used at the highest levels in archery competition. I doubt all the extra stuff hanging off the bow in the pic below would do me much good for a few years but everyone at the Olympic level pretty much has to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Just to be devil's advocate on this point... bigger name sponsors like that scenario can allow a niche sport to make huge steps forward and leads to more sponsored athletes making meaningful money. Which in turn tends to make the level of the top competitors jump as they compete for those dollars.

A 2022 Surefire nationals could be a strong argument in favor of rules like this as much as against it.

Prolific contingency sponsors by gear manufacturers could end up being an interim step to that the same way a lot of tire manufacturers do in autocross. Big money sponsors have potential for a lot of corrupting of the purity of a sport but also offer huge upsides for talent growth when there's that kind of incentive to break new performance barriers.

I'm curious to see what USPSA develops into in the next 5 years. If it's just "big tent" shooting, or starting to bring out some next level performances from a growing pool of pros and semi-pros.

I'm also a little curious if @Archer1440 sees a growing parallel to the gear used at the highest levels in archery competition. I doubt all the extra stuff hanging off the bow in the pic below would do me much good for a few years but everyone at the Olympic level pretty much has to use it.
    Maybe. USPSA numbers are pretty small though. Even firearm manufacturers seem to limit how much involvement they have. Once the rules get too permissive it seems like it gets dominated by little niche makers and not big money sponsors anyway.

SJC will make a tungsten frame weight with an LED light and a giant integrated thumbrest and everyone will buy that. Surefire will get to decide how much USPSA specific stuff they want to make when it's 0.5% of the revenue vs LE and .mil.

STI shirts worn for contingency used to be the most common shirt I saw at a major. Where are they now?

More likely it is a one time check to USPSA we are stuck with the repercussions of the goofy rules forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    SJC will make a tungsten frame weight with an LED light and a giant integrated thumbrest and everyone will buy that.
    I would buy one!

But seriously if we make the guns so soft that 9mm feels like 22LR.

Why not just shoot 22LR.

I would buy one!

But seriously if we make the guns so soft that 9mm feels like 22LR.

Why not just shoot 22LR.
    Because we'll hang frame weights on our 22LR's until they feel like airsoft?

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Because we'll hang frame weights on our 22LR's until they feel like airsoft?
    I mean, .22LR *already* feels like airsoft if you have anything vaguely resembling grip strength...

User Tag List