Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB now legal in all divisions?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I would also add that I am surprised about these top dudes jumping on extra-weight wagon just from a technical shooting standpoint. I don't know what goldilocks weight for a 9 mm gaming gun is but at some point they do become too heavy and too nose heavy. Personally I would take an improvement in my transitions over improvement in my splits. I can see how people would want to make poly guns heavier but 3 lbs Berettas and CZs?
    About a year ago, I thought about something similar...

But then an Open guy reminded me that their guns are significantly heavier than even an overloaded Shadow.

JJ is a strong guy and I’m sure that he’s not at the limit of his physical transition speed.

It might actually help his transitions if his Production gun was closer to his Open gun weight.

I know that when I switch to polymer guns, I need to calibrate or else I over transition....

@JCN: yup, my training partner's Limited gun is over 60 oz.

I dunno about open enough, but seems like if you're not splitting everything in teens, you're not competitive and dropping a Charlie on an imprecise gun stop is a fair tradeoff for the degree of aggression on arrays. For minor PF and its scoring, do we want guns that afford more precision? Again, I dunno enough to speak with any authority.

You mentioning JJ being strong etc made me think about my other sport, tennis. Tour players are using racquets with swingweight in 350s-360s. Me, if it gets above 330, it starts getting to be too much. I wonder if many of us are making a mistake trying to emulate shooting sport's equivalents of Rafa or Roger.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I would also add that I am surprised about these top dudes jumping on extra-weight wagon just from a technical shooting standpoint. I don't know what goldilocks weight for a 9 mm gaming gun is but at some point they do become too heavy and too nose heavy. Personally I would take an improvement in my transitions over improvement in my splits. I can see how people would want to make poly guns heavier but 3 lbs Berettas and CZs?
    Atlas Nemesis in .40 S&W is 54oz
    Atlas Nemesis in 9mm is is 46oz
    https://www.atlasgunworks.com/produc...ifications_tab

I'm assuming that Atlas has optimized the weight for their custom guns and the idea is to come as close to that as possible. Minor power factor is 75% of major but Atlas only reduced the weight by 15% for their 9mm version.

Beretta 92G LTT is 33.3oz
    https://www.beretta.com/en/92g-elite-ltt/

CZ Shadow 1 41.1oz
    CZ Shadow 2 46.5oz
    Someone clearly thought that 5 more ounces primarily in the front dust cover would help there and the competition world seems to have agreed by making the switch. Goldilocks weight for a 9mm gamer gun seems to at least be above 41oz and approve of the extra 5oz in the nose of a 41oz gun.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that people discount the recoil of 9mm to be so inconsequential and so easily overcome. But similarly find a a nose heavy gun to be impossible to compensate for in their gun handling. If your grip is so rock solid that 9mm recoil means nothing to you then I'm sure you can keep the nose up and transition few more ounces.

I think we're seeing people trying to make their production guns as close to limited minor specs as possible which is probably why the Shadow 2 has always been so close to Atlas 2011 specs in many ways.

Who's going to be the first to make a sight block flashlight?

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that people discount the recoil of 9mm to be so inconsequential and so easily overcome. But similarly find a a nose heavy gun to be impossible to compensate for in their gun handling. If your grip is so rock solid that 9mm recoil means nothing to you then I'm sure you can keep the nose up and transition few more ounces.

I think we're seeing people trying to make their production guns as close to limited minor specs as possible which is probably why the Shadow 2 has always been so close to Atlas 2011 specs in many ways.
    You and I were typing at the same time, see my post above. It isn't that 9's recoil is inconsequential. Approach to same stages with major vs minor is different, so the question is what specs support factor-specific approach better.
    Having been to three Ben's classes, if you listen to him correcting people during transition drills, he sounds like a broken record. "Too tense, too tense, relax". There are many reasons for tension,, 3 lbs weight extended out maybe one of them. I wonder if we are not very smart about this with those 47 oz guns. I simply don't have time for anything, but if I had, I'd test it out.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

@JCN: yup, my training partner's Limited gun is over 60 oz.

I dunno about open enough, but seems like if you're not splitting everything in teens, you're not competitive and dropping a Charlie on an imprecise gun stop is a fair tradeoff for the degree of aggression on arrays. For minor PF and its scoring, do we want guns that afford more precision? Again, I dunno enough to speak with any authority.

You mentioning JJ being strong etc made me think about my other sport, tennis. Tour players are using racquets with swingweight in 350s-360s. Me, if it gets above 330, it starts getting to be too much. I wonder if many of us are making a mistake trying to emulate shooting sport's equivalents of Rafa or Roger.
    I dryfire practice with a heavy gun as weight training.
    And yes, I think that casual shooters picking equipment based on pros can be an error (see dot and window sizes).
    I think golf equipment is a very good analogy.

I don’t use a super stiff shaft blade faced 2-iron....

^^^^
    I didn't read the rules. Do production guns still have to fit into the box, even with lights attached?
    My understanding is it has to fit in the box with the light attached.

It's interesting to follow the discussion on my Facebook where 99.99% of my friends are USPSA shooters. I don't think I have seen anyone who approves the direction the sport is heading these days. Some people are just quiet because of the sponsors, and other political issues. Kudos to Mason Lane, Ben Berry, Cody Axon, and others for having balls to openly speak out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    IDPA should take notes, but they won't.
    What's IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    What's IDPA?

International Doberman Pinscher Association according to Steve Anderson

Site Supporter
    I Don't Practice Anymore - was the old joke.

I loathe to enter this debate again but I was taken by comments that new timmies pollute the 'game'. Don't try to get more folks into it. Given the posts on increased handgun buying, the increased diversity and clear data indicating the purchasing is for self-defense and not competition, are the purity of the game police counterproductive to gun usage, rights, etc. ?

Just a comment, it's not my business model or committed 'game'. Kind of off AIWB but those ideas are in this thread.

User Tag List