Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB now legal in all divisions?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In terms of how USPSA a operates, I think it is reasonable for the USPSA BOD to have a formal comment period for proposed rules, before they are implemented. That said, we have been discussing flashlights, appendix and holster/mag positions for years, so I am not sure what new would come from the comments.
    To be quite honest I have zero faith the USPSA board is paying that much attention to what people are saying. The comment period is for their benefit so they can get the rules right the first time instead of fuckups that they have to fix later. For example, original CO weight limits never should have been what they were prior to 59oz. It was so dumb that production legal guns needed slide lightening or lightweight grip panels to be CO legal.

I don't think I have conveyed my point very well about the lack of predictability with these rule changes. How does it make sense for people to buy guns that will likely last for years for this sport when the rules changes happen every 6 months and are generally not predictable beforehand? If you had asked me last week whether flashlights would ever be allowed in CO, I would have said no. This specific rules change with the flashlights more or less brings people to level playing ground, but given how the rules seem to continually become more permissive, I don't think there's any guarantee that a currently competitive gun will remain competitive for much longer. At the rate we're going, I think we may or may not all be shooting ported red dot STIs in CO in a year, or maybe we won't be. Or maybe they can kill major scoring in Limited because too many people show up with the newer 9mm STIs. Who knows? Not me.

I would like to see some guesses on what the next big rules change will be and in a year we can see whether it's even possible to guess with any specificity what the board wants to do. As for myself I think the only reasonable thing to do is not spend any money on guns.

@Eyesquared honest question for you... you say you wouldn’t have seen these things coming... but how many years have you been involved with USPSA? It was less than one handful of fingers, right?

I think @GJM has been involved for almost 30 years...

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Eyesquared honest question for you... you say you wouldn’t have seen these things coming... but how many years have you been involved with USPSA? It was less than one handful of fingers, right?

I started shooting USPSA in the winter of 2019. If it requires 30 years experience to gain the knowledge required to buy the right gun for this sport that I can shoot for the next 5 years, something isn't right. This is all what if'ing assuming the rules get even more permissive but it bothers me nonetheless. I think someone who wants to get into the sport should be able to do some research and have some confidence their setup won't be made "obsolete" in the future. In my view the weight limit changes last year made some sense, this change is a meh for me, and I'm not optimistic about changes to come.

As long as I have been involved in USPSA, competitors have been messing with their equipment to try to gain an advantage. That happens with or without rule changes.

In terms of the impact on obsoleting equipment, these changes seem benign. Slide your existing holster and mag pouches around a bit on your belt. Appendix will be irrelevant to 98 percent of competitors, even if their EDC is appendix. Deciding to run a flashlight might cost you a new holster, but mostly I only see the lightweight polymer shooters hassling with that. Can not envision how putting a light on, obsoletes your pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I started shooting USPSA in the winter of 2019. If it requires 30 years experience to gain the knowledge required to buy the right gun for this sport that I can shoot for the next 5 years, something isn't right. This is all what if'ing assuming the rules get even more permissive but it bothers me nonetheless. I think someone who wants to get into the sport should be able to do some research and have some confidence their setup won't be made "obsolete" in the future. In my view the weight limit changes last year made some sense, this change is a meh for me, and I'm not optimistic about changes to come.
    Having lots of expectations is a sure fire way to be disappointed.

This seems like your first experience with a sport like this.

Here’s a pro tip. There will never be a “right gun.”

And another pro tip. It doesn’t matter for your game in the foreseeable future.

Commit to your brain that you’ll always lose between 2-5% in equipment. Just work to be that much better.

Bone stock Glock to my tricked out S2 is only about 2-3% in my hands.

I think you’re being overly rigid and dramatic. Don’t take your ball and go home.

Just relax a little and enjoy your sweet gun for what it is. There is never a long term plan in a sport like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As long as I have been involved in USPSA, competitors have been messing with their equipment to try to gain an advantage. That happens with or without rule changes.

In terms of the impact on obsoleting equipment, these changes seem benign. Slide your existing holster and mag pouches around a bit on your belt. Appendix will be irrelevant to 98 percent of competitors, even if their EDC is appendix. Deciding to run a flashlight might cost you a new holster, but mostly I only see the lightweight polymer shooters hassling with that. Can not envision how putting a light on, obsoletes your pistol.
    See my last sentence, for me these changes are "meh", mostly indifference. Not overly concerned about the lights as a CO shooter, just sour grapes that they didn't communicate this earlier and save me some money and effort. If I had somehow guessed this was coming I would never have bothered with p320s and my life would have been much simpler with only Glocks for carry and competition.

Also not happy generally that big changes continue to be surprises. I mean it when I say I have no idea if they'll do something else silly like make single action only guns CO legal or make porting production legal.

Having lots of expectations is a sure fire way to be disappointed.

This seems like your first experience with a sport like this.

Here’s a pro tip. There will never be a “right gun.”

And another pro tip. It doesn’t matter for your game in the foreseeable future.

Commit to your brain that you’ll always lose between 2-5% in equipment. Just work to be that much better.

Bone stock Glock to my tricked out S2 is only about 2-3% in my hands.

I think you’re being overly rigid and dramatic. Don’t take your ball and go home.

Just relax a little and enjoy your sweet gun for what it is. There is never a long term plan in a sport like this.
    I think you're reading too much into it. I don't hate the sport USPSA and have no intention of "taking my ball and going home". I just think this organization is being managed in a totally inept manner.

Site Supporter
    The single stack shooter in me knows the days of single stack are numbered...but also sort of hopes for the local matches to have a smaller round count so I can actually practice with a realistic representation of my carry gun instead of a 9mm 1911 with a bazillion mag pouches.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I just think it's fucking annoying that one can't even buy a gun without the rules changing in less than 2 years to make that purchase unnecessary.
    I sold an unneeded milled Shadow 2 slide to a nice gent through BEnos. They changed the weight rules several month after. What he paid me for that slide would've been almost enough to buy a whole Shadow 2 OR. To some extent I felt bad for him.

More like 50 but he only got serious a couple of years ago. When his wife got into it and he realized his ass was gonna get kicked soon.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List