Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamfering Charge Holes on a 38/357 - Is It Worth It?

After shooting many years with my S&W revolvers I say it is a large advantage to chamfer the cylinders. Stay away from the star unless you like cartridges falling under it during a reload.

Just breaking the edge of the cylinder is preferred if you want a carry gun but if you want to break the 2 second reload with speed loaders during competitions go as much as you can without taking too much off to un-support the case and cause a rupture.

There are proper tools to buy that will help but you can also get buy with a (God Forbid I Say It) Dremel. Use lots of oil and go slow. Remember too much looks cool but will eventually hurt you for reliability.

For speed reloads I recommend Safariland Comp III or Jet Loaders. It helps to tune them as well but that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    That company's website is a rabbit hole that I didn't really need to go down at this time. I've bookmarked it for future reference though.
    Yeah, their website is complete bullshit. It is best to call.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    That company's website is a rabbit hole that I didn't really need to go down at this time. I've bookmarked it for future reference though.
    Be very careful ordering from Pacific Tool and Gauge, make them state in an email what you are ordering is in stock and ready to ship, their customer service and shipping is abysmal these days.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...sucks.6985843/
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Be very careful ordering from Pacific Tool and Gauge, make them state in an email what you are ordering is in stock and ready to ship, their customer service and shipping is abysmal these days.

Holy smokes the indeed dot com reviews are brutal.

My son has a knack for finding the most toxic possible places to work, perhaps I should recommend PT&D to him?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I had Sokol chamfer the charge holes on my m10. I haven't noticed a huge difference.

My 64 was chamfered prior to my ownership. It was noticably easier to load with a speedloader or speed strips using rounds with exposed lead than on my non chamfered Smiths. Not so much when single loadimg or using jacketed bullets. I ordered the chamfering kit from Brownells and did my other .38/.357's. It is not necesary to chamfer the extractor star to achieve the desired result. Not worth buying the tool to do one but if you have more than a couple, it's cost effective.

The guns where chamfering really makes the biggest difference are moonclip guns. When you're loading a clip gun, the chamfering helps pick up the rounds and guide them into the cylinder when you just "drop" the rounds in from 2-3 inches away. As mentioned, a really nicely chamfered 625 is a thing of beauty to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

I am a mellow, unassuming conflict-avoidant Joe Average dad these days.

After I hung up the phone, one of PTG's people had me looking at google maps to see how long it would take to drive down there and deliver some wall to wall counseling.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I am a mellow, unassuming conflict-avoidant Joe Average dad these days.

After I hung up the phone, one of PTG's people had me looking at google maps to see how long it would take to drive down there and deliver some wall to wall counseling.
    I remember those days...

Absolutely necessary on self defense or competition guns. Otherwise, cases can hang up or not fully seat when reloading. Not much is required but I wished I had understood how necessary it was years ago.

User Tag List