Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Might be in the market for a new gun, looking for opinions.

Pistol Thoughts:

Are you a GSSF Member? GSSF Members get Blue Label Coupons for Glocks. It makes supply much easier.

If not, get a 2-year membership ($60) and when you first coupon arrives (in about 30-60 days) buy a Glock 43 or 48.

When your second coupon arrives (in a year) buy a G19.

That solves the pistol problem. Personally, I'd go G43 over G48 if my plan was to go G19 in the long-term, because the slightly smaller 43 will be able to be concealed in virtually every situation the LCR would be able.

___

Long Gun Thoughts:

AR15 - AR15 - AR15 - AR15 - AR15.

Hey did I mention buying an AR15. I would buy one ASAP and prioritizes it over a pistol.

G43x MOS

Out of the small Glocks it’s one of the best from a shootability and conceal-ability balance / trade off.

Pair it with a Shield Arms S15 magazine and you have 15 on tap and ability to put a dot on it.

G43 with Magguts +2 is pretty sweet too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I'd go G19. Mag commonality, same manual of arms, same sights, some commonality of holsters. I think there is a lot of win there but I am biased as I run a G17/G19/G26 combo. LCR is nice but very different manual of arms, totally different reload process, holsters are different, etc. I have a j frame but it serves a niche roll for me and the G19 would cover a larger set of circumstances.

You then mention a long arm. What is the role of the new weapon? If its to concealed carry a shotty or AR won't have much use. If its home defense or something that chnages things.
    Good question. Part of this discussion is me trying to figure out which roles I need to cover next, honestly. The guns listed are the ones that seem to fit the roles based in my own very limited experience, reading, and general acclaim of this forum. I'd say the main role of the shotgun is a combination of home defense and self education. The LCR would be a combination of self-education and a more easily concealed option for carry. I'm not sure the g19 would be used dramatically differently than the g34, so it would be less about education and more about being more practical to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalis Discipulo View Post
    How often do you find yourself just barely able to conceal/not conceal the 34?

I would strongly recommend a semi if you are adding a shotgun. Someone with experience or ongoing practice(sporting clays, 3 gun, hunting) can do great work with a pump. The vast majority of shotgun malfunctions I have seen are due to inadequately cycling actions manually.

Eta:Shotgun
    Honestly, I don't yet carry anything. I'm still learning a lot, and pretty much the only place I've been going during the pandemic is work, which does not allow carrying weapons. All of my experience with carrying has been in my basement as I try different positions and modifications to see what fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    ... for those of us who carry regularly, our smallest carry gun is probably the most important gun we own. Whatever its limitations, it's what allows us to carry 100% of the times that we would want to do so.
    Good point. For me it's a Walther PPS M2. I can conceal my (Glock 19 sized) P99 almost as well, but the PPS is just so flat that I can just about forget I'm even wearing it, and to be honest sometimes that makes the difference as to whether I'm carrying at all. So to echo others' suggestions, I'd be looking at a 43, 48 or 48x.

Site Supporter
    Have you played around with the Handgun Hero website to compare handguns?

I'm going to toss the G26 into the mix.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post

I have. G26 and G48, in my head, at least, share a bit of space with a G19, in that they're semiautomatic handguns big enough to have decent capacity and be pretty shootable, with geometric variations between them to serve different niches. Maybe I'm oversimplified. I'm not wedded to any single gun, certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Good question. Part of this discussion is me trying to figure out which roles I need to cover next, honestly. The guns listed are the ones that seem to fit the roles based in my own very limited experience, reading, and general acclaim of this forum. I'd say the main role of the shotgun is a combination of home defense and self education. The LCR would be a combination of self-education and a more easily concealed option for carry. I'm not sure the g19 would be used dramatically differently than the g34, so it would be less about education and more about being more practical to carry.

Honestly, I don't yet carry anything. I'm still learning a lot, and pretty much the only place I've been going during the pandemic is work, which does not allow carrying weapons. All of my experience with carrying has been in my basement as I try different positions and modifications to see what fits.
    It's okay to not be sure yet.

Let's set aside which gun and focus for a minute on the mission. The late Pat Roger's always said, "Mission drives the gear train." I often think of it as, "The hypothesis we're trying to test informs the methods." To speak a lingo you're familiar with.

So let's back up a second:

What prompted you to purchase a handgun and acquire your concealed carry license?

What do you see as your largest concerns regarding firearms usage?

What do you see as your overall goal(s) with shooting?

Bear in mind you do not need to be able to answer all of these questions right now. Also, these are questions that you'll probably ask yourself over and over again as you learn and re-evaluate. So the answers today are unlikely to be the answers in 6 or 12 months. Almost certainly the answers won't be the same in 6 or 12 years.

Personally, I've found that the right belt and holster has made it possible to tote a bigger gun than expected- it's just as easy to carry a 1911 in my belt as it is a Shield in my pocket when wearing shorts & a tshirt.
    I've found that a Glock 19 can conceal about as well, and really is a good 'all around' size.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I have. G26 and G48, in my head, at least, share a bit of space with a G19, in that they're semiautomatic handguns big enough to have decent capacity and be pretty shootable, with geometric variations between them to serve different niches. Maybe I'm oversimplified. I'm not wedded to any single gun, certainly.
    The G26 shoots and carries much more like a G19. The 48 shoots and carries much more like a G43.

I like the G26 more FWIW. +2 OEM baseplates make it into a little bobtailed G19. It's a great pair with a G34, IMO.

Site Supporter
    A Jframe (642, in my case) is a super important gun in my arsenal. I could mostly replace it with a G42, and I have a pair of them because my wife will actually shoot and sometimes carry one. If I go to the gym or running, the 642 or G42 is usually the companion. These are guns I can carry 100% of the time, unless I’m going swimming, an open locker room, or through metal detectors. As stated above, this makes them possibly the most important guns I own. Most attire will allow discreet concealed carry.

Next most important is the G26. It’s about 85-90% of the time possible/workable outside of work time. I would not try to carry it at work unless I had official permission to carry (I don’t carry anything anyway due to legal consequences, but know I could get away with the G42, anyway). The G26 is big enough and has enough capacity to be a serious tool, but is small enough to conceal most of the time without dressing in a gun burqua.

My 19x is the long shooting day/trainer/gun games/hiking and don’t care who sees it/nightstand/casual level of concealment tool. But I usually don’t carry it, and if I had to, I could get away with just using a G26 all of the time for all of those roles, and have. But the 19x is more fun to shoot.

My G44 and M18 S&W revolver get more range time than anything other handguns right now because they’re cheap to feed.

I have shotguns for hunting birds and clays. They usually get shot a lot over the course of a year, but aren’t really a big part of my defense arsenal. Wouldn’t hate having to rely on one for that, but I’d rather have my AR. I find shotguns more challenging and more fun to shoot than an AR, but would prefer the AR for serious social use.

A smaller handgun would be my priority over a long gun were I in your shoes at this moment in time. I would make the 100% gun the first on the acquisition list. And you’re likely going to pay a premium right now, no matter what you go for.

User Tag List