Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Might be in the market for a new gun, looking for opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    So it looks like there's a lot of advice pointing toward a 26 or 48. I'm guessing deciding between those two is a matter of which one I shoot better and which one fits my body better for carry, with minor bonus points going to the 26 for having magazine commonality. Are there any other objective differences I should take into account?

Seems like barrel length has a pretty small effect on 9mm velocity from what I've read, but that could be small mark in favor of the 48?

Looks like holsters and lights should be pretty available for either of them.
    Ok, objective.

Width would be one. It’s one of my most noticeable factors now, having actually carried the G19, 26, 43X and 48. It’s hard to quantify exactly why it makes such a difference to me, but it does. Perhaps stature plays a role? (I’m 5’6”). Possibly larger humans feel fine with a double stack gun (I.e. wider) because they are bigger. “To me”, the 43X/48 width just offers that much more comfort in traditional IWB, AOWB, and AIWB (done them all). Whether it would matter to you might thus depend on how large you are.

Grip length would be another. There’s no doubt a G26 with an OEM round mag is a two-finder Grip. Can you shoot it accurately? Yep. Ask @GAP. He can shoot the lights out with a G26. And so can many others. It’s often reported as one of Glock’s most accurate guns. But you might make note of how many carry a G26 with +2 mags. Hint: it’s not always because of added capacity, they want a pinky rest, I carried my G26 12+1 as well, so I get it. (This was about the point I decided I might as well carry my G19 15+1.)

The longer grip length of the G43X/48 affords a full three finger grip for my size M hands. Rapid reloads are considerably easier as well.

Rail vs no rail. The G26 does not have a light rail, afaik. (Mine didn’t). The G48 FR recently introduced does.

Trigger reach. This is going to depend on your anthropometrics / hand geometry. A G26 stubby fat grip might suit you fine, or the longer slimmer G48 grip might feel considerably better, shooting, So while they are objectively different in this area, it’s going to depend on you and how you shoot them.

1 vs. 2 slide catch/releases. The G26 has a stop/release on both sides. The slim line G48 only has a stop on the left, since it is too narrow to allow figment of the Gen 5 part.

Sight radius. I find the longer sight radius of the G48 to aid in slide alignment and may contribute to more accurate follow up shots. I don’t perceive any disadvantage in concealment with the 4” barrel, either. In fact the slide length doesn’t really enter into whether or not I can conceal the gun; it’s more about grip length and thickness.

I will say the G26 carried ok for me in a pocket Desantis Nemesis, albeit it was a little porky. I can’t pocket carry a G48.

They are both excellent choices however. It really depends on what you are looking for.

So it looks like there's a lot of advice pointing toward a 26 or 48. I'm guessing deciding between those two is a matter of which one I shoot better and which one fits my body better for carry, with minor bonus points going to the 26 for having magazine commonality. Are there any other objective differences I should take into account?

Seems like barrel length has a pretty small effect on 9mm velocity from what I've read, but that could be small mark in favor of the 48?

Have you read this entire thread yet? I would highly recommend it before making a final decision.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Glock-26-Gen-5

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

The 48 will carry more easily. The 26 will shoot better. Both are good guns. Won't go wrong with either.

6' 230lbs. Some fat, some muscle. Pretty wide and tall torso and thick legs. Normal attire is jeans, khakis, polo shirts, Oxford shirts, t-shirts, waffle knit long sleeve shirts. In general, nothing super stylish, but I try to look put together with clothes that fit and aren't especially baggy.
    At your size I suspect the G26 would carry pretty well. Would probably gentle nudge you in that direction. The 48 is a good gun though and you won't be unhappy if you go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Hint: it’s not always because of added capacity, they want a pinky rest, I carried my G26 12+1 as well, so I get it. (This was about the point I decided I might as well carry my G19 15+1.)
    I find the G26 with the OEM +2 mags still carries better on my body than a G19, but as you mention is much more to grab a hold of. I think this is a big plus for the G26 as it makes it more versatile than the 48 in this way.

That said the G26 even with 10 round mags will feel chunkier than the 48 on your beltline and I agree is probably a little difficult to shoot if you have big paws.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Have you read this entire thread yet? I would highly recommend it before making a final decision.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Glock-26-Gen-5
    I have! It definitely made me regard the 26 as more than just the "chunky toddler Glock".

Ok, one more objective criteria: I had to go look these up, but according to the Glock US web site:

Glock 26 Gen 5 with loaded magazine: 26.07 oz
    Glock 48 with loaded magazine: 25.12 oz

...A difference of 0.95 oz.

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g26-gen5-fs-us
    https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g48-us

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Personally, I've found that the right belt and holster has made it possible to tote a bigger gun than expected- it's just as easy to carry a 1911 in my belt as it is a Shield in my pocket when wearing shorts & a tshirt.
    I've found that a Glock 19 can conceal about as well, and really is a good 'all around' size.
    Plus the 19 allows for a Weapon mounted light. Which may it may not be a consideration, but it is nice to have the option.

Plus a 19 can be cut down to 26 grip size if needed. It is a very flexible gun.

I like the 26, but there is absolutely nothing a 26 can do that a 19 can’t. The opposite is not true.

6' 230lbs. Some fat, some muscle. Pretty wide and tall torso and thick legs. Normal attire is jeans, khakis, polo shirts, Oxford shirts, t-shirts, waffle knit long sleeve shirts. In general, nothing super stylish, but I try to look put together with clothes that fit and aren't especially baggy.
    I change my recommendation to a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS, final answer.

Hammertime
    I'm might soon be in the market to expand my collection from one gun two two. I currently have a Glock 34, which I've been learning to shoot with the past year. I'm looking for opinions on which firearm should be next in line. I understand supply limitations are a thing, so the advice I'm asking for assumes supply is available, even if that doesn't turn out to be true.

Options:
    Glock 19: I can carry the G34 AIWB, but it's not small, and induces wardrobe limitations. A 19 would I have a shorter grip and be a bit lighter.

LCR 9mm: This would be a pistol that is significantly smaller than the G34. It would be a significant change in how a gun could be carried, instead of simply slightly more convenient (19 vs 34). 9mm keeps ammo the same.

Shotgun, probably Mossberg 500/590 of some type, but maybe I'd just follow the experts advice and get the Beretta 1301. This option is under consideration because I'd like to learn how to use a shotgun in addition to a handgun.

Thanks for any advice.
    Like so many other recommend second double stack Glock. 19: smaller, handier for carry, parts and magazine commonality with the G34.

In my life with too many guns I can be pretty happy with a G19 and something small for the pocket, in my case LCP. That covers my needs well. But you should ask yourself Rob’s excellent questions above.

You should get an AR some time.

Shotguns are awesome but very different from anything else in how they run. I have them to learn them but even with some time working them am not really confident enough to grab one in a pinch.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I concur with the general idea that no one should be without two different sized handguns. And by that I mean one "belt" gun and something else that can be pocket carried.

In regards to your stated goals. A gun you're going to carry regularly trumps anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    If the goal is to eventually live an armed lifestyle (i.e., to be armed wherever and whenever you are legally allowed, especially when you leave the house), then having a weapon you can comfortably and discreetly conceal 100% of the time is necessary. And if you live somewhere where it’s hot and you want to be able to wear properly fitting clothing (versus a muumuu-like top), then a Glock 19 is not going to work well. You’ll need something a lot smaller, like the single stack pistols or j-frame sized revolvers recommended by others.

For me, pocket carry is an important niche that small semi autos don’t fulfill as well as small spurless revolvers, especially with pockets that have vertical openings. So if I already had some kind of 9mm pistol, my second handgun would be a small revolver.
    This keeps coming up. That is what you call a clue. Larger belt gun, smaller pocket gun (Jframe or LCP I have tried all the other, don’t bother)

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Once I started carrying and shooting a G26 my 19s have not left the safe. When I really want to just shoot it's a G34.

If I had to have just 2 Glocks, it would be 26 and 34. A 17 is almost as good as a 34.

My experience is that the 26 just shoots extremly well for a gun of that size. Throw a pinky extension on and it's even better. My performance is improved with a 19 but the 26 conceals much easier for me and I don't need to dress around it.
    True about the 26.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I change my recommendation to a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS, final answer.
    Yes, for OP size next gun should be a 19 in some flavor. Then a pocket gun.

Site Supporter
    Lol, every time I think I have an answer I get a firm, well-reasoned argument for a different choice. Thanks, y'all, genuinely.

User Tag List