Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Might be in the market for a new gun, looking for opinions.

Site Supporter

Might be in the market for a new gun, looking for opinions.

I'm might soon be in the market to expand my collection from one gun two two. I currently have a Glock 34, which I've been learning to shoot with the past year. I'm looking for opinions on which firearm should be next in line. I understand supply limitations are a thing, so the advice I'm asking for assumes supply is available, even if that doesn't turn out to be true.

Options:
    Glock 19: I can carry the G34 AIWB, but it's not small, and induces wardrobe limitations. A 19 would I have a shorter grip and be a bit lighter.

LCR 9mm: This would be a pistol that is significantly smaller than the G34. It would be a significant change in how a gun could be carried, instead of simply slightly more convenient (19 vs 34). 9mm keeps ammo the same.

Shotgun, probably Mossberg 500/590 of some type, but maybe I'd just follow the experts advice and get the Beretta 1301. This option is under consideration because I'd like to learn how to use a shotgun in addition to a handgun.

Thanks for any advice.

Glock 19, set up like your 34.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Glock 19, set up like your 34.
    This, except for one potential caveat, at least in my view. If the 19 will allow you to carry a gun in all the situations where you can and want to carry, get it. If an LCR or other small gun would allow you to carry in situations where you would want to but couldn't do so with a 34 OR with a 19, I'd personally get the small gun. We all like to forget about this (I'm the most guilty) because they aren't necessarily exciting or fun to shoot, but for those of us who carry regularly, our smallest carry gun is probably the most important gun we own. Whatever its limitations, it's what allows us to carry 100% of the times that we would want to do so.

Basically, I'd rather have the 34 and LCR and carry 100% of the time, regardless of how that time is split between the two, than have the 34 and 19 and carry 99% of the time.

I've got a 19/34 combo. If I were to do it over I would go 48/34 instead. YMMV though.

I'd go Glock 19 so you'll have familiarity, be able to carry easier while still having a fighting gun.

If two new guns is an option, then I'd go with a Glock 19 and either a 1301 or a quality AR15. Unfortunately, it is a bad time to buy since everyone is panic buying, but the reality is the ability to buy any of these could be gone in the near future so if you think you may want something in the future, go ahead and get it now.

G19 or G45. A shotgun sounds nice but you're more likely to need a pistol unless you have credible threats towards your house. Having a copy of your carry/defense gun is ideal for a lot of reasons.

If I had to choose from your list, I’d go G19 and LCR 9, for the most versatile carry options.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    I've got a 19/34 combo. If I were to do it over I would go 48/34 instead. YMMV though.
    My first thought was 48 as well. I struggle with the Glock grip angle, because it's different than all my other pistols. Sig, H&K and Beretta are all close enough that they index the same, where I chase the front sight on Glocks of any size. But since you're tuned in to Glock, stick with Glock. G48 and the 15-rd aftermarket mags would be almost the same as a 19, but smaller and easier to carry concealed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I'd go G19. Mag commonality, same manual of arms, same sights, some commonality of holsters. I think there is a lot of win there but I am biased as I run a G17/G19/G26 combo. LCR is nice but very different manual of arms, totally different reload process, holsters are different, etc. I have a j frame but it serves a niche roll for me and the G19 would cover a larger set of circumstances.

You then mention a long arm. What is the role of the new weapon? If its to concealed carry a shotty or AR won't have much use. If its home defense or something that chnages things.

Site Supporter
    How often do you find yourself just barely able to conceal/not conceal the 34?

I would strongly recommend a semi if you are adding a shotgun. Someone with experience or ongoing practice(sporting clays, 3 gun, hunting) can do great work with a pump. The vast majority of shotgun malfunctions I have seen are due to inadequately cycling actions manually.

Eta:Shotgun

User Tag List