Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police reform bill passes in House

The agency formerly known as U.S. Customs (OI) was great while it lasted...*

(*Within reason. No outfit is or was without its warts.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Police reform bill passes in House

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    How often are you seeing an individual Deputy US Marshal getting destroyed for doing their job?
    Not very often, but I haven’t made a study of it.

Even as a whole, with the exception of the summer's events in Portland, the USMS gets left alone. There's a difference between targeting with the ability to gather knowledge & plan vs everything being like a box of chocolates and getting what you get.
    This, of course, is a very good point. There’s nothing that has quite as much potential to turn into a goat rodeo as responding to a 911 call, especially by yourself, and the Marshals don’t do that. I maintain that if avoiding liability as an LEO is the goal, a job that primarily involves arresting people and handling prisoners is not the first thing to spring to my mind (for what that’s worth).
    Last edited by Le Français; 03-07-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The agency formerly known as U.S. Customs (OI) was great while it lasted...*

(*Within reason. No outfit is or was without its warts.)

My dream job would be doing what you did , and doing it the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    That's scary because it sure as hell looks to be spot on.

While I can't advocate being an active street cop to anyone, I can recommend the Marshal's Service, Dept of State Security, and DOE to people.
    There's a reason that, despite being drawn to street cop work, I elected to go federal LE and am only applying for other federal agencies going forward.

Hmm, a conspiracy theorist might say the end goal is to make all LE federal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My dream job would be doing what you did , and doing it the 70s, 80s and 90s.
    Like any, Newb, it had its splendid moments and its share of low points as well. But yeah, the 80's and 90's were a fun time to be working in NYC and Miami, especially in the arenas of narcotics, money laundering and organized crime. Arms smuggling and related matters were also pretty satisfying.

In the end, I knew when it was time to pull the plug...and according to my former partner, timed it just right.

I'm retirement eligible. I've been planning on holding out until the end of this year to retire, but, every day I find it harder and harder to give a flying f*** about this job. Especially when, in recent "Combating Extremism" training, I heard my Service Secretary say something to the effect of "there will be consequences." The message was clear. Shut up and color and say NOTHING about anything political, or you will be cancelled.

I literally have my retirement paperwork in front of me, and the only thing I have to do is put in a date of retirement, sign it, and send it in... This kind of s**t from the house doesn't help my outlook any. My younger son is talking about becoming a game warden, and I can't even start to express how much I DO NOT want him to follow in my LE footsteps. Become a zoologist, or a wildlife biologist, or something, but I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily join LE today.

Site Supporter
    Anybody desiring a job change might apply at the Louisiana prison at Angola. Or the another version of same at Mississippi's Parchman. 20 years ago the feds sued Parchman over its treatment of death row inmates. In their written response, they promised to give the inmates ice water.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'm retirement eligible. I've been planning on holding out until the end of this year to retire, but, every day I find it harder and harder to give a flying f*** about this job. Especially when, in recent "Combating Extremism" training, I heard my Service Secretary say something to the effect of "there will be consequences." The message was clear. Shut up and color and say NOTHING about anything political, or you will be cancelled.
    Silly me, as I read your post I was thinking that the training was regarding extremism from the outside.
    (I've been out of the government too long...which is a good thing in virtually all ways I can think of.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

I literally have my retirement paperwork in front of me, and the only thing I have to do is put in a date of retirement, sign it, and send it in... This kind of s**t from the house doesn't help my outlook any. My younger son is talking about becoming a game warden, and I can't even start to express how much I DO NOT want him to follow in my LE footsteps. Become a zoologist, or a wildlife biologist, or something, but I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily join LE today.
    As a non-LE person, I only have one piece of advice, that you probably don’t need...

If you feel yourself getting the least bit sloppy, GET OUT. We want to see you continue to post here.

User Tag List