Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Police reform bill passes in House

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    And think about the fact that there's a bill pending in the California legislature to remove felony convictions as an automatic disqualification for serving as a police officer. Ask yourself why they would do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    That one is a head scratcher considering how anti-gun the government of California is. They’re going to give guns, and arrest authority, to felons.

Would they not still be prohibited possessors under federal law?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    That one is a head scratcher considering how anti-gun the government of California is. They’re going to give guns, and arrest authority, to felons.
    Not surprising at all when you realize convicted felons are an increasingly important constituency for the Democrats.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    You are correct, but I'll point out that California politicians generally don't let inconvenient federal laws get in their way. And I haven't read all the details of HR1. I know it restores voting rights to felons. Perhaps it deals with this issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    You are correct, but I'll point out that California politicians generally don't let inconvenient federal laws get in their way. And I haven't read all the details of HR1. I know it restores voting rights to felons. Perhaps it deals with this issue as well.
    Yes they would still be prohibited under federal law, but CA wouldn’t be the first state with a provision allowing felons to have guns under state law regardless of being in conflict with the federal law.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    At this point, it is immoral to recruit decent people to do police work. You are knowingly placing their lives in the hands of a mob and the most indecent people in the country, ie, politicians.
    The People have spoken. Let them have what they want, good and hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I agree with feudist. My oldest son has talked some about going into law enforcement and while I try to maintain a certain objectivity with respect to the ideas he kicks around, I've really argued as strongly as I can against that idea. On the other hand, when the decent folk quit going into a field, it means only indecent fold wind up in it, and then things get much worse much faster.
    Absolutely. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to pursue a LE job these days. My comment was meant more in the vein of people get the police that they vote for, a concept espoused by more than a few respected trainers/retired cops that I listen to and follow. Bolke and Haggard immediately come to mind. As the old curse goes, we are indeed living in interesting times.

And think about the fact that there's a bill pending in the California legislature to remove felony convictions as an automatic disqualification for serving as a police officer. Ask yourself why they would do that.
    Stupidity and ignorance. They need to read about the old days of police corruption.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Judas F Priest... this is looking more and more like a Kelly Turnbull novel with every passing month.
    That's scary because it sure as hell looks to be spot on.

While I can't advocate being an active street cop to anyone, I can recommend the Marshal's Service, Dept of State Security, and DOE to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Judas F Priest... this is looking more and more like a Kelly Turnbull novel with every passing month.

I can’t argue with your advice. I’m just not happy about the situation, as a joe normal that likes to be out for entertainment and nightlife after dark, and who prefers to find his car where he left it each morning.

It’s a new, national “great experiment;” we shall see where it leads, and how things turn out over the next decade.
    Florida resident Billy Bo Jim Bob handing off his 12th can of Bud to a crowd of bystanders in order to demonstrate an impromptu courageous feat of physical dexterity has put far more thought into the long term effects of his actions than the average California Democrat.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    That's scary because it sure as hell looks to be spot on.

While I can't advocate being an active street cop to anyone, I can recommend the Marshal's Service, Dept of State Security, and DOE to people.
    As I’m sure you’re aware, the USMS does a lot of pretty high-liability stuff, not too different in that respect from street cops: A lot of arrests, handling prisoners, guarding cell blocks, etc. If getting sued is the concern, that might not be the obvious path of avoidance.

By DOE, do you mean Energy? The nuclear couriers, DOE OIG special agents, or something else? Just curious.

The courier jobs might be the US LE jobs least likely to involve UOF situations, so there’s that. Boring, and with demanding travel schedules, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    As I’m sure you’re aware, the USMS does a lot of pretty high-liability stuff, not too different in that respect from street cops: A lot of arrests, handling prisoners, guarding cell blocks, etc. If getting sued is the concern, that might not be the obvious path of avoidance.

By DOE, do you mean Energy? The nuclear couriers, DOE OIG special agents, or something else? Just curious.

The courier jobs might be the US LE jobs least likely to involve UOF situations, so there’s that. Boring, and with demanding travel schedules, though.
    How often are you seeing an individual Deputy US Marshal getting destroyed for doing their job? Even as a whole, with the exception of the summer's events in Portland, the USMS gets left alone. There's a difference between targeting with the ability to gather knowledge & plan vs everything being like a box of chocolates and getting what you get.

Yup, Dept of Energy.

User Tag List