Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police reform bill passes in House

Police reform bill passes in House

Full text here: https://judiciary.house.gov/uploaded...paign=5874-519

———-
    House lawmakers on Wednesday passed the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, a police reform bill that would ban chokeholds and eliminate qualified immunity for law enforcement. The 220-212 vote came nine months after Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, was killed by Minneapolis police officers last spring.

The wide-ranging legislation would also ban no-knock warrants, mandate data collection on police encounters, prohibit racial and religious profiling and redirect funding to community-based policing programs.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/03/97311...r-george-floyd

Site Supporter
    Nice. A bill named after a criminal. Will they repeal it when the defendants are acquitted ?

Wonderful... going to be harder and harder to recruit truly qualified people into the career field. The only thing I see about this bill that I somewhat agree with is the elimination of no-knock warrants. Otherwise, BS.

Fascinating.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Wonderful... going to be harder and harder to recruit truly qualified people into the career field. The only thing I see about this bill that I somewhat agree with is the elimination of no-knock warrants. Otherwise, BS.
    At this point, it is immoral to recruit decent people to do police work. You are knowingly placing their lives in the hands of a mob and the most indecent people in the country, ie, politicians.
    The People have spoken. Let them have what they want, good and hard.

I agree with feudist. My oldest son has talked some about going into law enforcement and while I try to maintain a certain objectivity with respect to the ideas he kicks around, I've really argued as strongly as I can against that idea. On the other hand, when the decent folk quit going into a field, it means only indecent fold wind up in it, and then things get much worse much faster.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

At this point, my advice to friends in civilian side LE is "get out as soon as possible, and if you can't - don't get out of the car. It's not worth it."

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I agree with feudist. My oldest son has talked some about going into law enforcement and while I try to maintain a certain objectivity with respect to the ideas he kicks around, I've really argued as strongly as I can against that idea. On the other hand, when the decent folk quit going into a field, it means only indecent fold wind up in it, and then things get much worse much faster.
    And think about the fact that there's a bill pending in the California legislature to remove felony convictions as an automatic disqualification for serving as a police officer. Ask yourself why they would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    And think about the fact that there's a bill pending in the California legislature to remove felony convictions as an automatic disqualification for serving as a police officer. Ask yourself why they would do that.
    Judas F Priest... this is looking more and more like a Kelly Turnbull novel with every passing month.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    At this point, my advice to friends in civilian side LE is "get out as soon as possible, and if you can't - don't get out of the car. It's not worth it."
    I can’t argue with your advice. I’m just not happy about the situation, as a joe normal that likes to be out for entertainment and nightlife after dark, and who prefers to find his car where he left it each morning.

It’s a new, national “great experiment;” we shall see where it leads, and how things turn out over the next decade.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    That one is a head scratcher considering how anti-gun the government of California is. They’re going to give guns, and arrest authority, to felons.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List