Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FBI Revolver Qualification

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Went better with moon clips and was able to go 50/50 within time with snobby and long revolvers.
    I'd hope they'd adjust their attitudes after being worked out properly.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotOut View Post
    Holy Cow, I've hit the mother load! Thanks, Gentlemen, for opening up the heavens on this subject. There's much to work on here and I'm not sure I've got enough small pistol primers to shoot them all! I feel a speedloader coming for the Model 18...

It's been fun learning what the old guns can do. Other than shot count and, I suppose, ancient bullet technology, there's not much to complain about. Our dauntless agents and their trusty M&P's put a lot of bad guys on ice. I would dearly love to sit down with all of you and pick your brains about the old days. For me, that's like the 80's.

Thanks again, and stay safe.
    Some thoughts.

I'm fond of revolvers, I started with a GP-100 and, until my agency de-authorized them last year, I had the last J frame BUG in service in Field Office of 700 plus. However, I'm realistic about what they are. When revolvers were putting bad guys on ice serious people carried two or three of them and brought shotguns to pistol fights when ever they could.

I like pretty grips as much as the next guy but policing is regional IME most working revolvers I saw in use back in the day wore rubber grips, or in some cases service grips (possibly with a grip adaptor) with wads of rubber bands around the grip, because, the only thing cheaper than a cop, is two cops.

Here is the old Georgia Double Action Course that was in use until circa 2004:

NEW GDAC 9/98 BASIC MANDATE COURSECOURSE OF FIRE

THREE YARD LINE
    POSITION: STANDING IN FRONT OF PRIMARY TARGET
    # OF ROUNDS: 12
    On command, load holster. On command, draw and fire 2 rounds in 3 seconds at the primary target.
    Decock if possible and cover. On command, fire 2 rounds in 2 seconds at the primary target. Decock
    if possible and cover. On command, fire 2 rounds in 2 seconds at the primary target. When done
    shooting decock if possible, and holster. Repeat the entire sequence.

TWENTY-FIVE YARD LINE
    POSITION: STANDING-IN FRONT OF SECONDARY TARGET
    # OF ROUNDS: 6
    On command, draw and assume a strong side standing, vertical barricade position, fire 6 rounds at
    the secondary target. Time limit is 30 seconds.

SEVEN YARD LINE
    POSITION: STANDING BETWEEN TARGETS
    # OF ROUNDS: 14
    On command, draw and fire 2 rounds at the primary target and 2 rounds at the secondary target in 4
    seconds. Decock if possible and cover. On command, fire 1 round at the primary target and 1 round
    at the secondary target in 3 seconds. Decock if possible, and holster. On command, draw and fire 2
    rounds at the primary target and 2 rounds at the secondary target in 4 seconds. Decock if possible
    and cover. On command, fire 1 round at the primary target and 1 round at the secondary target,
    unload and reload with a magazine containing two rounds, and fire 1 round at the primary target and
    1 round at the secondary target. Time limit is 15 seconds. When done shooting, reload, decock if
    possible, and holster.

Revolver Note: The fire 1-and-1 reload with 2-rounds and fire 1-and-1 string was a manual load of two rounds (two rounds only, no speed loader).

FIFTEEN YARD LINE
    POSITIONS: STANDING AND KNEELING BETWEEN TARGETS
    # OF ROUNDS: 18
    On command, from a standing position, draw and fire 3 rounds at the primary target and 3 rounds at
    the secondary target. Assume a kneeling position and fire 3 rounds at the primary target and 3 rounds
    at the secondary target and then repeat 3 rounds at the primary target and 3 rounds at the secondary
    target. Time limit is 60 seconds. Holster on command.

50 TOTAL ROUNDS: 28 IN PRIMARY TARGET & 22 IN SECONDARY TARGET
    RELOADING IS DONE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE ACADEMY DIRECTOR.

The previous version of this course had 12 rounds at the 25 rather than six. The 15-yard string had six less rounds.

The course that came into effect in 2004-ish was revolver neutral. It was replaced on 1/1/21 with a non revolver neutral course.

This is the official target:
    https://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Publi.../dp/B074S139V7

We don't use the official target at our agency in preference of one with more realistic scoring zones.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

This is a modified version of the Air Force's handgun qual course that was specifically adapted for revolvers

USAF Modified Revolver Qualification – target: IDPA Standard target. Scoring: IDPA scoring (raw time + 1 second per point down)
    All strings of fire start holstered and are 2 body 1 head unless specified
    Stage 1: 7 yards
    1. Failure drill (3 shots)
    2. Failure drill (3 shots)
    Stage 2: 15 yards
    1. Strong side barricade failure drill
    2. Strong side barricade 3-reload-3 (failure drills)
    3. No cover: 3-reload-3 speed reload (failure drills)
    4. Strong side barricade failure drills (2x)
    5. Weak side barricade failure drills (3x)
    Stage 3: 25 yards
    1. 3 shots over barricade, center of mass, transition to kneeling, 3 shots under/around barricade, center mass.
    Total rounds fired: 42
    Pass: 80 seconds or faster with 42/42 hitting the target area. Any rounds off the target is an automatic fail.
    Master: 55 seconds or faster with 42/42 hits

@jetfire, when you say "modified":

Is that a COF you drew up loosely based on the USAF COF, or was this what the USAF actually used to qualify guys on the M15 (modified from another weapon's qual)?

I guess my point is, to the point of the thread, what is the COF actually used by the USAF?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @jetfire, when you say "modified":

Is that a COF you drew up loosely based on the USAF COF, or was this what the USAF actually used to qualify guys on the M15 (modified from another weapon's qual)?

I guess my point is, to the point of the thread, what is the COF actually used by the USAF?
    I modded the existing AFQC to make it work specifically with revolvers. It is almost exactly the same as the current one, except it's three rounds shorter so it loses one string of strong side barricade. We used to issue K-frames back in the 60s, but I wasn't able to find any records of what the qualification course was back then, so I had to backwards modify a 45 round course designed to run smoothly with three 15 round mags to a 42 round course designed to run smoothly with a six shot gun, while preserving the spirit of the AFQC.

@jetfire any parameters regarding concealment or not? Was it designed for open OWB or IWB concealed with regards to time parameters?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @jetfire any parameters regarding concealment or not? Was it designed for open OWB or IWB concealed with regards to time parameters?
    Strong side OWB since I took it from a duty qual. Let me tell you, with IDPA scoring and 15 yard head shots on the IDPA target, the time hack is no joke for Master. The "pass" is pretty easy for moderately talented shooters.

Of possible interest, courtesy of Nick Walker’s new website and download section. It has a couple of revolver quals in it.

https://nickwalker.org/sg2/pdf/FBIRe...Techniques.pdf

User Tag List