Thread: Blackhawk! Stache IWB

Blackhawk! Stache IWB

New from Blackhawk! is the new Stache holster. This is injection molded kydex and is sold as a "modular" holster.

I ordered the premium kit for a Glock 19 which includes a mag pouch and a "wing" that can be used to attach the mag pouch to the holster. Also included are a couple belt clip (one for holster & one for pouch) and a claw. There are also a couple of additional feet for the claw if you want to tuck the pistol in a little tighter. The holster and kit is mostly ambidextrous and should work okay for AIWB or IWB off the right or left hip.

The holster arrived today. I played around with it a little and decided to run the holster separate from the mag pouch. I have found the holster sits maybe just a little low on the belt for me but it shouldn't be too big a deal. I have the pouch set up for OWB with a fairly aggressive rake. It should work well at about the 8:00 position on my left side.

We'll see how well everything works. I like the various mounting and cant options but am not sure I'm digging all the screws.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've worn the holster and mag pouch a good portion of the day. It works fairly well with my MR920. Obviously it would work much better with a P365 or something a little flatter.

Here are a couple pics. I'm carrying the pistol just left of 12:00 so that the sharp edge of the grip is somewhat broken up by the belt buckle. The mag pouch is on my left side behind my hip.

Am I seeing that you're carrying AIWB in a sort of cross-draw way, right handed but it's left of centerline?

Normally I hate all things Blackhawk, but I'm intrigued by the holster.

Is it ambi? What is the Claw on the end of the clip like? Aggressively grabbing the belt?

I like the height adjustability, but it seems that extra material would interfere a little with a good grip. Does it?

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Am I seeing that you're carrying AIWB in a sort of cross-draw way, right handed but it's left of centerline?

Normally I hate all things Blackhawk, but I'm intrigued by the holster.

Is it ambi? What is the Claw on the end of the clip like? Aggressively grabbing the belt?

I like the height adjustability, but it seems that extra material would interfere a little with a good grip. Does it?
    The holster is ambi in that it has slots on both sides so the belt loop can be moved from one side to the other. The only piece that isn't ambi is the claw. Two come in the box and they are marked L and R.

The claw works okay. I'm using the short one. It comes with two other feet that can be added if desired.

One complaint is the the holster is rather loose with regard to fit of the pistol. I assume this is partially because I'm using a Shadow Systems gun that isn't quite as blocky as a Glock.

I wish the holster sat about a quarter inch higher above the belt. I have the belt clip at the lowest setting and I still can't quite clear my knuckle when establishing a shooting grip.

Last edited by Tokarev; 03-05-2021 at 04:45 AM.

Just a quick update.

I used the holster and mag pouch during a Modern Samurai Project AIWB class. I continued to use the holster in appendix and kept the mag pouch on my left at about 8:00.

Overall, the holster and pouch worked fine although I did notice the belt clip screws were a little loose. If and when I use the holster enough to really like it I'll probably drop a bit of blue thread locker on to keep things tight.

My original complaint about the holster sitting a little low on my belt still applies. Even with the biggest foot on the claw I still find my middle finger rubs on the top of my belt during the draw. With this in mind I have ordered a couple clips from DCC to see if they will raise the pistol about ⅜". That should be enough.

Someone asked about carry location. Yes. I'm carrying the holster pushed off to the left of center. I find if I wear the gun centered or slightly to the right it prints pretty badly. Also I don't like the hard angle needed in my wrist to reach the gun when it is moved more to the right. Ideally the holster would sit high enough that I could wear it at about center but with a muzzle forward rake. I think this would be about right for draw comfort and would still conceal fairly well.

So overall I think I give the holster a C. It isn't perfect but it also isn't very expensive. If money's tight or I needed a holster for occasional concealed carry or a spare holster for whatever reason the Blackhawk is probably a good bet. If I wanted something a bit more "quality" I'd probably go with Tier 1, JMCK, etc.

We'll see if my opinion changes once I have the DCC clips installed.

Thank you for this writeup! I normally loathe all things Blackhawk, but I might be inclined to pick one up as a cheap dedicated left-hander.

I generally like some extra tuck, and/or pad, on my AIWB rigs (extra tuck preferred).

I suppose if I needed it, I could do the shoo goo velcro foam pad thing. BTDT.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post

I suppose if I needed it, I could do the shoo goo velcro foam pad thing. BTDT.
    Herein lies the rub, as they say.

As a spare/generic/occasional holster the Stache is probably as good as anything. Especially for the money.

But then tweaking it for comfort and/or ride height and it might just be better to get something else. By the time a person buys a foam pad and some Velcro and adds a couple DCC clips and new screws and spacer kit it might be better to just get something like the Xiphos from Tier 1.

My DCC clips have arrived. I ordered the Mod 4 Super Shorty. I haven't put them on the holster yet (waiting for the adapter kit to become available) but I think these will fix my ride height problem. We'll see.

User Tag List