Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apparently pregnant women aren’t a threat to you - dumbest law I’ve ever seen

Apparently pregnant women aren’t a threat to you - dumbest law I’ve ever seen

So the Ohio Legislature snuck this gem in during their lame duck session back in December. New law that makes it illegal, yes illegal, to handcuff or restrain a pregnant women or a women that’s up to 6 weeks post partum unless it’s an “emergency circumstance”. If we know she’s pregnant. No guidance on what “know” means. Oh yeah, and if it is an emergency circumstance we have to call her doctor after things calm down and let them know. And picking up a prisoner at a jail prison? Basically have to get a doctors permission to use handcuffs. Violating this gem is a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Can’t wait until the turds figure this out. Every female will tell us she’s pregnant.

Goes into effect April 12. Haven’t received any guidance from the State yet. This is gonna be interesting.

https://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/.../05?format=pdf
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Can’t wait until the turds figure this out. Every female will tell us she’s pregnant.
    Yeah, then one will get shot trying to grab a gun and turn out to be NOT pregnant...

I was unaware of this too, apparently as is our prosecutor’s office. We had a legal update in service tonight. They were also unaware of the knife law change until I asked for it to be on the agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Add this law to the fact that now anyone can identify as a female if the feel like it. What keeps any suspect from saying, "You can't handcuff me. I identify as a woman, and I'm pregnant"?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I was unaware of this too, apparently as is our prosecutor’s office. We had a legal update in service tonight. They were also unaware of the knife law change until I asked for it to be on the agenda.
    We had a legal update last month and this didn’t get covered. The knife law did, though. I found out about it from our CALEA person. She found out through a CALEA group she had meetings with. The only one in the group who knew about and brought it up was someone from the State. OSP I think. I contacted OPOTA and they haven’t finalized the new lesson plans to cover this yet.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

There must have been some serious backdoor deals made. The handcuffing part of this law got added at the last minute. Merged another bill into one that had a chance to pass. And this train wreck of a law passed with only 1 no vote, IIRC. 🤦*♂️
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Maybe "they" should make it illegal for a pregnant woman to break the law?

Site Supporter
    As a man married to a pregnant woman (who I love).

Pregnant women are scary / intense enough.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Add this law to the fact that now anyone can identify as a female if the feel like it. What keeps any suspect from saying, "You can't handcuff me. I identify as a woman, and I'm pregnant"?
    Well, I would hope the fact that it's physically impossible for a biological male to be pregnant would come into play in that scenario, but you're almost certainly right that someone will try it.

Georgia passed such a law a year or two ago. When I spoke to my representative about it and pointed out all of the downfalls with it, his response was, "I know, but how could I argue against it?".

The "face" of the bill here was a woman who claimed to have fallen while shackled resulting in a miscarriage.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List