Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another SP101, Today.

The Weigand and Gemini guns are very slick. I remember them on magazine covers back in the good old days...

Great score sir!

Site Supporter
    Thanks to REX for the explanation of the ports. Which now begs the question, how much velocity loss is there from that alteration? Just from looking at the pictures I would think the loss might be significant.

Dave

About 100 fps to 150 fps in a three-inch barrel using 158-grain SWC is what I have seen over a chrono on a nice hot summer day using two 3.06"-barreled revolvers. My 158-grain load does about 900 fps to 950 fps out of the ported SP-101. It does closer to 1050 fps out of the non-ported SP-101 barrel. I am going from memory here as I am too lazy to pull my notes.

I only use relatively heavy-for-caliber .357 loads, so the difference may be more pronounced with a lighter bullet or faster powder. I did try some 180-grain Federal CastCore in the SP-101, and I was very pleased to have the Hybra-Porting. That load was HOT but it really penetrates. It is much better suited for a larger revolver. It may be my excuse to add a Gemini GP-100 to the stable....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Thanks to REX for the explanation of the ports. Which now begs the question, how much velocity loss is there from that alteration? Just from looking at the pictures I would think the loss might be significant.

Dave
    There is considerable velocity loss from the ports, according to a long-ago article, which I recall, but cannot cite. Eventually, I may acquire a chronograph, and do a comparison with one or more of my non-ported SP101 snub-guns.

Muzzle flip is the nemesis of my aging, always-aching right thumb, hand and wrist, whether my right hand is serving as the weapon hand, or the support hand. (Unless I cup-and-saucer with the right hand, while shooting lefty.) I was on the lookout for a ported .357 snub-gun, of any decent make, with which to experiment. This one was the first to show up, at an LGS; it being an SP101, an already-much-favored weapon, was icing on the cake. With multiple credible reports of Hybra-Porting resulting in complete elimination of muzzle flip, or even some amount of downward movement, I am eager to try this.

I reckon that a .357 Magnum round, even a mid-range Magnum, from the ported snub-gun, is still going to beat a target wadcutter .38 fired from a non-ported snub-gun. Plus, there is the psychological impact of that magnum shock wave, for which I am prepared, but an opponent would probably not expect. Modern duty/defensive ammo is loaded with flash-retardant in the powder formula, but that sound and blast is still there.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The Weigand and Gemini work finishes the SP-101. As shipped, it is serviceable, albeit with too many sharp edges, less-than-optimal sights, and a crunchy trigger. The original "Tame the Beast" package fixes all of that and added the Hybra-Ports. The OEM trigger on the SP-101 has a sharp edge where the face meets the side, and that also abraded my trigger finger.
    My "rattler" DAO SP101 came with the sharpest edges overall of any firearm I have owned- and that is saying something.

Gemini Customs does a nice job of "melting" a 101. I ended up doing a half-azzed, pseudo-melt job on mine after it literally began to cut its way through a leather IWB holster. The edges are still there, but I don't slice things with them anymore. I did work a bit harder to get rid of the trigger's hot spots and then I polished its face. BIG improvement.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

A Ruger factory SP101 grip assembly arrived in the mail, this morning. Life is good.

The Hogue grip, which was on the snub when I bought it, is of a hard material, not the softer rubbery stuff, and, as I said earlier, the grooves actually fit my fingers, unlike most Hogue grooves I have handled, in the past. But, I do better with a more-squared grip, and, the Hogue was most very rounded. Plus, when I gripped the Hogue firmly, with my right hand, my arthritic thumb hurt, sharply, not just an ache. That does not happen with the SP101 factory grip. So, again, life is good.

So, if I want to imitate that old Bianchi holster ad, I now have four 2.25” SP101 snub-guns, and one 3” SP101, plus a token J-Snub, to fill the small-frame .38/.357 revolver roles.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    So, if I want to imitate that old Bianchi holster ad..
    by the time you were done your back would hurt too...
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

A New Month, A Second Gemini Customs SP101

Well, crazy Texas weather this year; a Valentine’s Day winter storm, and then, in March and April, it has been raining Gemini Customs. This second one has the V-8 porting, and night sights. (As I understand it, V-8 porting is the necessary porting option, if one wants porting as well as a front sight with tritium.) The rear sight looks like the Novak-ish pattern that was delivered on the Wiley Clapp edition. It is not the currently-available Gemini rear sight that is sourced from Bowen Classic Arms. Other than the rear sight, this Gemini’ed SP101 looks like the “Ultimate” package currently shown on the site, that Marc Morganti does, to an SP101.

This one has its hammer spur, so, if/when I get too gimpy to stroke a DA trigger, I will be able to cock the hammer. Thus far, I have no trouble with a long-stroke DA trigger, but it is good to be prepared.

This one can be considered a 60th birthday self-gift, 6.5 months early. Life is good.

The dealer had not yet posted this one on the website, before I bought it. It may show, eventually, as an archived sale. It may not have yet been photographed. I’ll need to set up a proper “pose,” shoot some images, and re-learn how to post images on this site.

An advantage of being a walk-in customer, at Collectors Firearms, is that one gets to see the newly-arrived stuff, before it makes it to the web site.

A disadvantage of living near Collectors Firearms, however, is that one will struggle to keep anything in one’s bank account.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    A disadvantage of living near Collectors Firearms, however, is that one will struggle to keep anything in one’s bank account.
    Every time I visit their site, I want to get one really good bringback Wehrmacht pistol to represent all the ones I had temporary custody of in my salad days.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

This second one has the V-8 porting, and night sights. (As I understand it, V-8 porting is the necessary porting option, if one wants porting as well as a front sight with tritium.) The rear sight looks like the Novak-ish pattern that was delivered on the Wiley Clapp edition. It is not the currently-available Gemini rear sight that is sourced from Bowen Classic Arms. Other than the rear sight, this Gemini’ed SP101 looks like the “Ultimate” package currently shown on the site, that Marc Morganti does, to an SP101.

This one has its hammer spur, so, if/when I get too gimpy to stroke a DA trigger, I will be able to cock the hammer. Thus far, I have no trouble with a long-stroke DA trigger, but it is good to be prepared.
    Looking forward to seeing this one. I do not have any experience with the V8 porting, but my experience with the Hybra-Porting is that it is not compatible with tritium sight inserts.

I like the Gemini "DAO" hammer; it is made by trimming and polishing the regular DA/SA hammer. It really makes for less snags in cover garments while still allowing the thumb to rest against the hammer while holstering. There is an option to remove the SA sear notch, but I have not opted for that. I just use the revolver like a DAO. I am not sure I have ever seen a Gemini SP-101 with a hammer spur.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List