Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another SP101, Today.

Another Custom SP101, Today.

Well. I confirmed my commitment to the SP101 today, in a serious way:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/p...m-pr52420.html

They gave me a bit of a break on the price. This is my first Gemini Custom SP101. I doubt the Hogue grip will remain on it, for long, as I refer a more-squared grip, like the Ruger original. This Hogue, however, unlike others I have used, has finger grooves that fit my fingers, wellll, OK. That rounded butt, however, robs the weapon of a significant amount of stability.

I already had two Jack Weigand-customized SP101 snub-guns, acquired about 1997 and 2002. They were given his “Tame The Beast” package, minus the optional porting, before being delivered to a local dealer, who sold them to me as new guns, an arrangement that Weigand used to have with Ruger, or at least a Ruger distributor. This Gemini has the Weigand-developed Hyba-Porting. Mitigation of muzzle flip is helpful to my aging hands. (I am aware of the hazards of ports, and have taken that under advisement.)

Marc Morganti, doing business as Gemini Customs, has carried on the Hybra-Porting, and other SP101 modifications, after Jack Weigand stopped doing custom work.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-03-2021 at 08:10 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

That is a good price, even as stickered. I had a Weigand Taurus (wait, hear me out) back in the day when Jack ran the USA custom shop. It was a great gun, but 125 grain .357s had so much blast that they recoiled downward!

But with today’s mellower loads, or a good .38+P, it should be fun to shoot.

Congrats!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

We approve... (Only name brand custom thing I own)

Name:  SP Gem.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  77.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Could someone please explain "Hybra-Porting" to we who are unfamiliar with that terminology.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Could someone please explain "Hybra-Porting" to we who are unfamiliar with that terminology.

Dave
    I am not a rocket scientist, so am not qualified to critique, but the Hybra-Ports were, quite literally, designed with rocket science technology, according to an article I read some time in the past century. A series of ports, increasing in size as one moves toward the muzzle, present on the two-inch barrels. IIRC, longer barrels can have more than three ports. The holes are conical, in cross section, smaller diameter at the wall of the bore, and larger in diameter at the exit point.

https://www.geminicustoms.com/

Gotta walk the whiney dogs, now. Will return later.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Nice score. All of my current SP-101 samples have been through either Jack Weigand's shop or through Marc Morganti. The action work and dehorn on the trigger is worth the asking price. Not many come up for resale.

You may wish to look at a different front sight. For some reason, the bluing on the Ruger sights can be thin, resulting in glare. Gemini does sell the "Small Wonder" sight. I like the gold bead version better than the tritium version, but the gold bead can shift POA/POI with some light.

As for Hybra-Porting, it looks like poppel holes, only the holes increase in size as the hole location gets closer to the muzzle. The holes also start very close to where the barrel is fit into the frame. The revolver with the ports literally recoils downward. Instead of muzzle rise there is muzzle dip. I have shot mine from retention with no major issue.

That’s sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Some pics of a 2006 Gemini Customs SP-101 with the 3.06" barrel. This one has lots of extras, including a slab-side barrel, a skeleton trigger guard, a bobbed DAO hammer, and Black-T finish over the factory stainless. It was offered originally as the "Red Dragon" package, complete with custom laminated grips. The gold bead front sight is visible in the picture showing the Hybra-Ports. If the revolver is Hybra-Ported, tritium inserts are not a good idea as I learned the hard way. My first Weigand destroyed the tritium insert during the first five shots. The gold bead stays remarkably clean during range sessions.

I bought it used and got a very good deal. $1000 delivered with the "Red Dragon" grips. I replaced those with a set of the factory grips, which are ideal for my hands. In the pictured configuration, I have shot it at fifty yards well enough to win a bet with my sister-in-law during a family range session.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by farscott; 03-04-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I doubt the Hogue grip will remain on it, for long, as I refer a more-squared grip, like the Ruger original.
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I replaced those with a set of the factory grips, which are ideal for my hands.
    I have never liked the almost square cross-section of the SP101 factory grip, but a large number of owners prefer them to anything else. I must have weird paws.

Anyway, Gemini Customs' Rugers have always looked "just right" to me, and if I were still on the upward part of my income curve I would probably see if Marc could use my loose old DAO SP101 as the foundation for one.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

The Weigand and Gemini work finishes the SP-101. As shipped, it is serviceable, albeit with too many sharp edges, less-than-optimal sights, and a crunchy trigger. The original "Tame the Beast" package fixes all of that and added the Hybra-Ports. The OEM trigger on the SP-101 has a sharp edge where the face meets the side, and that also abraded my trigger finger. I have revolvers with and without the ports. For my needs in .357, the ports are a plus, especially with the 158-grain SWC at 1100 fps I favor. My wife, who is less sensitive to muzzle flip and more to noise, likes her .357 without the porting. My 9x19 does not have the ports. If I had a .38 model, I would not port that.

I know a lot of people rather have a five-shot revolver as pocket gun than a belt gun, but I find the SP-101 to be one of the easiest pistols to conceal in a decent holster. I typically carry mine in a Sparks VM-2 at 3:30 to 4:00. The weight, while making it a no go for the pocket, aids in shooting, especially in .357. My oldest ones date back to 1996 or so.

User Tag List